Boating DUI in NT

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Boating DUI in NT

Post by Rug »

tristan.sloan wrote:Col, I've answered many of these questions already if you look through past posts. Did you by any chance hear warren de with on tales from the tinny this morning? misinformation and ignorance is our biggest enemy here. It's saturday....I'm going to go fishing and have a few beers ;) but call me on Monday and I'll answer each question individually.
Before I go let me make one thing very clear. This position was arrived at after our committee consulted extensively with our members not just recently but over many years. I understand your not a member and my advice is to join AFANT if you want input in recreational and boating policy decisions or legislation changes. Otherwise without being involved in a representative organisation you might get left in the dark.

For anybody else who has questions regarding this issue or any others, my phone number is below and my door is always open.....well, at least Monday to Friday

The bloke is a fisherman, a tax payer and presumably a registered voter. That qualifies him to have his views observed. Given your statement above, how do you and AFANT justify accepting tax payer dollars (including Big Col's) when you only claim to represent the views of your members? Maybe you should be 100% reliant on raising your own funds rather than a flow of taxpayer monies if you only feel obliged to represent your membership.

Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Wonder how signatures a petition would collect to stop taxpayers money funding afant...???
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Rug, I don't claim to just represent the views of my members at all, AFANT aims to act in the best interest of all recreational fishermen in the territory, the fact that I am on this public forum corresponding with fishermen, the majority who are most definitely not members, is a clear indication that we engage in communication with all recreational fishermen regardless of membership status.

Bear in mind the small amount of communication I do on this forum pales in comparison to the multiple phone calls, emails and meetings I attended to regularly concerning issues affecting everyday recreational fishermen. All I am saying is that if you want to be more involved in the process join AFANT, participate and have more of a say in managing your fishery.

I can guarantee the results will be a lot more effective than engaging in debate over the internet.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I don't understand people trying to weaken afant. Sure you may not agree with everything they put up, but if you want your voice heard get active and involved and get your voice heard.

But with out a peak body they everyone goes back to one voice, some may bring a random issue up with their local member with little affect.

Im pretty sure all club members also represented by afant (I may be wrong and happy to be corrected)
I'm involved with 4wdnt, which is the same as afant but for 4wding, whilst not near the size of afant, we have gained relationships with government, and parks, and now Kakadu. We are now getting the benefits of this having access to tracks that have been closed for 30 years, and now working to open up new areas.

If you don't get involved its a little hard to be critical of those who do.

Unless I'm missing something or some history I don't know of I don't under stand the negativity towards afant
FTRAINED
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FTRAINED »

What mickkk said.

I reckon there are 2 options. 1 - make the effort to volunteer/contribute to AFANT and make a difference; or 2 - complain how your views are not represented.

I made the call 8 years ago to stop whinging about a NT sporting body that represented my sport and volunteered to join the committee/board. Yes, the meetings and time required can be a bastard, but it's worth it and beats option 2.

I've never met Tristan but hard to knock a bloke that's rolling out the welcome mat to those bagging him. Get on board.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

8)
FTRAINED wrote:What mickkk said.

I reckon there are 2 options. 1 - make the effort to volunteer/contribute to AFANT and make a difference; or 2 - complain how your views are not represented.

I made the call 8 years ago to stop whinging about a NT sporting body that represented my sport and volunteered to join the committee/board. Yes, the meetings and time required can be a bastard, but it's worth it and beats option 2.

I've never met Tristan but hard to knock a bloke that's rolling out the welcome mat to those bagging him. Get on board.
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

I agree with the sentiments above.

In the recent past its been easy to knock AFANT, for many reasons. But Tristan is new into the role and seems to be making a genuine effort to roll out the welcome matt as its been put and talk to Fisho's about their concerns, whether they are AFANT members or not. I gave him a call last week, and came away with a lot more respect for the bloke than I thought I would.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

if i could say one word Tristan, emails and the written word in general can often be taken in a very different tone to the original intention. i got in the poop today for an email because of the 'tone of it' #

always best to speak to people to get the message across.
Fishful
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fishful »

No to DUI testing. I do all overnighter and sometimes have to move around to re anchor due to tide, take cover from storms and check crab pots. I don't see any issues on the water. We are over regulated and don't need more regulations when there is no major issue. Love the NT and don't want it to change.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I reckon there are 2 options. 1 - make the effort to volunteer/contribute to AFANT and make a difference; or 2 - complain how your views are not represented

This seems strange to me so the two options are???

Join an association by its own admission has so few members it represents les than 5% of the people it claims to represent??

or

Just cop it sweet??

How about option 3

Raise you displeasure with the Government and the opposition that your views are not being accurately represented by a completely government funded Lobby group?

I always stop short of letting fishing policy dictate my vote as I feel there are more important things than fishing. However I would much prefer the Government gave my Tax money to someone besides AFANT.

Ghound
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Been on holidays somewhere ghound lol
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

I agree Nomad, that's why I encourage people to call me, so there are no mistakes in the message I am trying to get across.

Fishful, exactly those type of reasons is why AFANT doesn't support DUI with a minimum blood alcohol content