AFANT 2014 AGM 2nd March

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Craig Ingram
Silver Member
Silver Member

AFANT 2014 AGM 2nd March

Post by Craig Ingram »

If you are interested in having a say on the future of recreational fishing in the NT or getting involved please put this date 2nd March 2014 in the diary
AFANT 2014 AGM.BMP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Craig Ingram
Executive Officer AFANT
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: AFANT 2014 AGM 2nd March

Post by Matt Flynn »

The AFANT 2015 Annual General Meeting will be held this coming weekend; 10:00 am on Sunday 8th March at Tracy Village Social and Sports Club, Tambling Terrace, Lyons.

Special guests this year will be Chief Minister of the Northern Territory Hon. Adam Giles and Minister for Primary Industry and Fisheries Hon Willem Westra Van Holthe.

We will also have a briefing from the department on the new fisheries regulations.

Yours Craig Ingram

AFANT 2015 AGM Media release - REC FISHING IN 2015 ― ADDRESSING THE REEF FISH CHALLENGE
The AFANT 2015 Annual General Meeting will be held this coming weekend; 10:00 am on Sunday 8th
March at Tracy Village Social and Sports Club, Tambling Terrace, Lyons.
The major focus of this year’s AGM will be the implementation of the recently announced reef fish
package and regulation changes with briefings from the department on the implementation of the
coastal reef fish regulations.
AFANT President Warren de With said today “Protecting the golden snapper and jewfish stocks and
making significant catch and effort reductions is essential if we are to address the challenges facing
coastal reef fish in the NT and give these fish the chance to recover back to adequate stock levels”.
“The department will provide advice on the area closures and how the golden snapper and jewfish
stocks will be monitored during their recovery.”
“The science behind the changes shows all sectors need to take significant action to reduce catches
and increase egg production of golden snapper and black jewfish. It is very clear that for golden
snapper a 50% cut in catches is needed to improve the sustainability of stocks and AFANT supports
the mix of measures announced to address this issue.”
“Other issues that are likely to be covered will be Blue Mud Bay, construction and funding of the
Dundee Beach and Mary River boat ramps and improving access to national parks and pastoral areas
for fishing. These are just some of the significant challenges for AFANT in protecting the quality of and
access to quality fishing in the NT in 2014.”
“AFANT this year has welcomed the removal of the seasonal closure of the lower Mary River as one
of the most positive highlights of the year, this builds on the establishment of the recreational only
areas in Chambers and Finke bays.”
“Limited movement has been made on Blue Mud Bay negotiations with closed waters still affecting
fishing access in the Tiwi Islands and the upper Finniss River.”
“This will be the first real opportunity for members to question the government on why they agree with
the Tiwi Island closures and what is happening on other important areas like the Finniss River.”
“The government will also be given the opportunity to explain what is happening with the self-launch
Dundee boat ramp as no work has commenced on this important election commitment.”
“There is a great deal happening in our fishery at present and this will be another important meeting
for AFANT and for the NT’s recreational fishing community.” Mr de With said.
Ends
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Geez Craig, afant are copping it here for the new regs saying that no consultation etc.
any chance of giving details of the number of people surveyed?
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I,m going , got a few questions to ask
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Im going...

I hope theres someone good there to explain "the science behind the changes....."

I dont want to hear secondhand misunderstood cr.p from afant, Giles or Van Holthe...
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Well I think I am going to have to go... Can non members go?
Gagey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gagey »

Good on you Hemi, I knew you were made of sterner stuff.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Well im going to be criticised wether i go or not go... Cant win there...

Im not a member so no doubt ill get criticised for that too...?

I figure Afant wont/cant know whos a member or not on the day so anyone can attend....!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

non members are welcome ghound,
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Working but wouldn't waste the money on the fuel to get there.
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

If they put the beers on the place would be packed. But having all those fishermen in one spot with a skin full... Well, my money is on the short priced favourite of a riot
Craig Ingram
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Craig Ingram »

nomad wrote:Geez Craig, afant are copping it here for the new regs saying that no consultation etc.
any chance of giving details of the number of people surveyed?

Good question
There has been three consultation papers released by fisheries on the proposed changes in 2012, 13 ,and 14 AFANT has provided comments and submissions to all of these discussion papers there were also discussion papers put out on the proposed changes to the charter fishing industry and the commercial coastal line fishery in 2012.

We sent a detailed questionnaire out to all our members who were asked on the proposed changes
I then personally called over 30 members to ensure the written responses were reflective of all our memberships views
The proposed changes then went through the recreational fishing advisory committee RFAC of which AFANT is a member but is made up of a range of NT recreational fishing personality's and representatives.

AFANT also consulted with a large number of other people, fishing clubs and tackle shops. As always in these type of issues we receive comments and feedback from many people who were not AFANT members.
Craig Ingram
Executive Officer AFANT
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

How many members do afant have craig?

And by that i mean actual paid up active members, not the many unpaid names that remain on the books to make numbers look good..
Craig Ingram
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Craig Ingram »

Its worth noting that I also posted the following questions on this site back at the start of the reef fish reg discussion and I thank you all for your feedback mostly constructive

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:01 pm Post subject: proposed bag limit changes

AFANT is seeking feed back on the NT Governments proposed changes to Northern Territory Recreational fishing Controls November 2012 the deadline for submissions has been extended for a month and close on the 18 February 2013
In summery the proposed regulation changes are

in option 1 will

• Reduce the general personal possession limit from 30 to 15
• Reduce the possession limit on golden snapper from five to three
• Reduce the possession limit on black Jewfish from two to one
• Reduce the possession limit on tropical rock lobster from 10 to five
• Introduce a new possession limit of three for mangrove jacks
• Introduce a new possession limit of three for king threadfin salmon
• Introduce a new possession limit of five for cod and groper
• Introduce a new possession limit of five for all other fish species
• Introduce a new possession limit of one for marlin and sail fish
• Introduce a new maximum size limit of 90cm for both Barramundi and king threadfin salmon
• Introduce a new possession limit of 30 (individual or combined) for crabs other than mud crabs with shells intact
• Introduce a new possession limit of a 10 litre bucket of saltwater prawns
• Introduce a new possession limit of 30 (individual or combined) for octopus, cuttlefish and squid

Option 2 has the same species possession limit changes but has a reduction in the general possession limit from 30 to 10 fish of all species and the individual species limit of five fish of any non listed species is removed.

In addition to these changes the government plans to Introduce a new vessel limit of 3 times the personal position limit in effect of this will mean that when more than three anglers are fishing on the same boat anglers will be restricted to 3 times the individual possession limits.

AFANT would welcome your feed back

Executive Officer AFANT