Family day at sampan???

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Family day at sampan???

Post by mickkk »

Looking at joining the hords at sampan next Sunday.
Looking at taking my misses and kids out there if all the stars align.
Will only take them if the water is high enough to launch/retreve any tide so we can get out if we need to.
As as long as the weather isn't looking too bad. Not planing on leaving until 7, hopefully the line up won't be too bad on a Sunday late morning and get on the water by 10, be at the mouth by 11 ish.
Trawl the last of the out going, and the first 2 hours of the incoming. I will be expecting a storm and pack accordingly.
Their pretty little kids (18 month, 3 and 4) but are quite used to boating and enjoy it.
The only concern I have is I will be pretty much launching and retreating the boat my self, which I do quite regularly. Bank the boat and tie it up, reverse the car down, drive boat on, winch the last little bit if need be, drive out. But doing it under pressure from a massive line up in the rush to get out Sunday arvo will be interesting.
What's the current like where you put your boat it. Have never fished it mid run off.
Also don't want some p...ed bloke starting a blue with me in front of the kids coz I'm taking too long. I have not herd any bad reports of ramp rage so far, so don't know if I'm worrying over nothing?

Do you think it would be worth it? I would love my misses or my oldest daughter to get a decent threads or even better a barra. But it might be a long hour or so wait to get the boat out.

Would probably stop at the bark hut or or the tavern for dinner on the way home if the kids ain't crashed already.
Is there anything else I'm not thinking about?

Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Family day at sampan???

Post by Quinntreximon »

Without more rain there wont be alot of water. I would suggest plan to launch and retrieve on mid tide. Sure its worth it. You have to be in it to win it. The fish will be there at some stage of the tide. Just get someone to help you retrieve the boat, Im sure people will help. The current is fine not strong at all where you retrieve. JUST BRING SHITE LOADS OF CHUBBY CHUBS, BISCUITS, and LOLLIES. Then again leaders creek is a closer option. Bait fish the mouth for salmon, jew and you can troll the mouth for barra, half the distance to travel.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Forgot to mention if you decide on leaders, bring the crab pots.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Absolutely give it a crack. It's trips like that you remember!

Hope you get some!
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

I'm thinking of heading down there next weekend too. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, just take your time. No point getting frustrated with the kids in the boat, doesn't help anyone. If someone is in that much of a rush to get in or out, they should've got to the ramp ten minutes earlier.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Every time I have been to shady there are always people helping each other out down at the ramp, shouldn't be a problem.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Everyone behaved well last weekend
zulu
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zulu »

mate don't feal pressure about launching there is no boat ramp so they can drive around you and more to the point if you stuggle someone might help you i would and there the plp worth knowing
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

Ask for help. Someone will see your on your own n help
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Any one got some recent feed back on water levels at shady. Trying to find out launching window for Sunday. Copping it now, hopefully by Sunday will be a little higher.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I think with high tide around 7am at the ramp the launch should be easy. It's waiting until after 5pm for the tide to come back in the evening that might be the problem.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

We'll ended up going out.
Up at 630. Alexis, (4year old)my little fisher girl was up already and dressed ready to go. Chucked the other 2 (3year old pippa and 18month Hayden) in the car in their pj's and hit the road by 7. I optimistically stopped at the bark hut for a paper. And got to the rampat about 830.
Dressed the kids and threw them in the boat.

Helped one bloke push his boat of the trailer who had misses and a few youngish boys. My boat launched like clock work beached it and parked the trailer.

Was a bit of mucking around at first as I sucked up a bit of mud and there was no water coming out of the tel tail. My usual fix of shoving some wire up it didn't work. Had to pull the hose off all the way to the block and take the little elbow off and it started shooting water which was a relief.

Nice drive to the mouth only seeing one other boat until I come around the last corner. But worked fine with all the boats out there, although I thought it would have been in a anti clock wise direction but some (mostly the fto's) would come at you and expect you to get out of their way even you have right of way (from my understanding of boating rules)

Unfortunately didn't get a touch. Only seen one boat get an 80ish barra and a nother get a thready. Stopped for a flick on the way back let Alexis get some more casting practice in and had the 3 yo pippa winding in mine.

The misses wasn't to fond of trawling by the end of the day, muched prefured casting, but she did get a nap in tho haha.

Got back and there was about 15 boats lined up. Beached the boat got the car. When I lined up the block infront was waiting for everyone to get off the ramp ( normally 3 cars wide) before trying to reverse. It was clear he didn't know how to reverse a trailer, jack knifing it straight away. I jumped out and asked if he wanted ahand. He was stoked, he was up from Sydney with a mate and never reversed a trailer. Reversed it back for him and went and did mine. Jump in my boat and drove straight up first time. My new trailer is soo much easier to drive on. Hooked the chain up and we were out. Wouldn't of waited more than 5mins. Was no problems at all.
Road turned to mush on the drive out but wasn't a problem. Stopped in at the bark hut for dinner and home just before 8.
Although we didn't get a fish was a great day that I remember for along time.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good on you mate, top report
Old Mate
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Old Mate »

:applause: Good on ya Mickkk, glad you had a nice day out with the family mate. Pity you couldn't get the little ones onto any fish.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Good on you, shame you didn't get onto any fish