Did Lam start a run off happening?

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
smellsfishy

Did Lam start a run off happening?

Post by smellsfishy »

Hi guys, first time poster.
I have planned to be in the top end for this years run off, but was wondering if there will be enough water around.
Holidays for us have to be submitted early and it is pot luck if we get it right.
Our time slot is the last week in March for a month or so, I hope there is still some water about.
Myself, my wife and my brother will be travelling up from NSW towing a Quinny hornet.
We fished the run about 15 years ago and haven't been back since, hoping this year is going to be good.
Previously fished the Vic from Timber Ck, Daly from Woolliana, Mary from Pt Stuart and the Bark Hut Inn, South and the East From Jabiru and the camp near the South.
Can anyone suggest any new or better camps near these rivers. We will be camping and the wife wants a few comforts, ie electricity.

Down here we usually just fish impoundment for the normal native fish species Like murray cod, yellowbelly and bass. Occasionally we fish for trout in lake and streams.
Fished a few Queensland impoundments about 10 years ago for barra, so I am keen to get back at them.

Anyway, I am hoping someone can help.

cheers,
Greg.

Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Did Lam start a run off happening?

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Good luck mate, it's been a terrible wet I hate to say
I'd be spending a week at daly or shady if I were you depending on tides, pt Stuart wilderness lodge is nice but pricey or just book accommodation on a mother ship in the mouth of shady that way your around the corner from the mouth and no mucking around with launching and retrieving every day. Try humbug or barra Botel if your interested in the mother ship idea
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Sorry scotty, I think Greg might have aced it, or be a touch early. Still going with my early prediction of rain still coming in April.
NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by NTFizzer »

Greg, I reckon it wouldn't be a bad decision to push your trip a year if quality fishing is a big part of your plan. There has been bugger all rain and what little rain we have had has been inconsistent. A clayton's runoff in the making.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

c9h14n wrote:Sorry scotty, I think Greg might have aced it, or be a touch early. Still going with my early prediction of rain still coming in April.
It's too little too late, a couple of decent rains don't make for a wet season. We need a monsoon to dump rain for weeks on end to have a decent run off, no major flooding whatsoever has happened this year, barely any water on floodplains. What are you basing your predictions on?

Hope I'm wrong but it ain't looking like a good year

c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Scottie, not taking away from your position that the wet is done for, and you and others may well be right, but, I base my prediction on the historical weather patterns up here, and have seen a few, indicating that this year the wet may not arrive until late Feb. if that's the case then yahoo, big runoff that lasts about a month into late April.
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Week monsoon to form next week but wont last long apparently.
smellsfishy

Post by smellsfishy »

Thanks for the input guys. It is good to know what the locals thought are on this.

We can be pretty flexible on location but not on our time, so we will go anyway, the weather and water will depend on the location.

On a previous trip in 98 or 2000 (can't remember which) we were in Kakadu and we copped some mid April rain and another monsoon bearing down on the top end, easy access to the rivers was hard to find so we did a runner and ended up at Timber Creek. Got a few fish on lures and bait in and around the Angalarri mouth. The new bridge to Bradshaw had only just been finished.

I am hoping for a good dumping of rain shortly to help things along a bit.

If anyone has anything to add please do so.

thanks,
Greg.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

welcome smellyfish
i think it is another bad wet season. even if we do get a poop load of rain even now, it will be too late. for the run off to really fire, the rivers need to get up onto the floodplains for the baitfish to breed
anyxcuse
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anyxcuse »

Hi Smellyfish.
. I agree that the wet has been poor but there are still plenty of good fish around and those good fish will need to eat over the next month or so no matter of rain amounts coming.
I do hope for more rain soon but I still don't think it's that bad to write it off unlike others. Just be at the right spots at the right time.

good luck.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

What we are saying anyexcuse is it's not going to be a massive run off, not writing it off as there's always good fish to catch but when you catch over 150 fish in two days at shady like I have it's special, doubt it will happen this year
But don't be dismayed mate, this place has awesome spots wherever you go

smellsfishy

Post by smellsfishy »

Fully understand what you are all saying, it might happen it might not. Things may be tough and we may have to alter from the norm. I have no problem with that.
Tough fishing can get you digging deep for a result, have been there before. We actively pursue fish, not just rely on luck.

So we are still going north anyway, just what, when and where will be sorted at the right time.

We may do some exploring and try some new water.

My boat and trailer are prep'ed ready to go, just got to sort some of my old lures and re spool some of my bass reels with heavier braid.

Thanks for the comments, and please add any info if you think it may help us or others heading in that direction.

Thanks,
Greg.
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Robert Hope »