New Fishing Laws On The Way

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New Fishing Laws On The Way

Post by Shane Doevy »

Well you will be happy Jim - this will hurt the FTO more than it will hurt the rec fisherman - now they will have more reason to slaughter the small fish and chuck them over the back - probably worse than they were before but Hey thats the rules - dumb, dumb dumb. Imagine someone form down south paying for a 3 day extended trip and bringing home 15 fish - they will want the big ones not the little ones - Dead set certain that they aren't going to stop fishing when they hit 15 - let the slaughter begin.

These rules will kill more fish than it saves.

Let the slaughter begin lets post up pics of trails of small fish floating in the barley trail... see how the experts react to that

Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

Closure at Lorna - The survey guys must have kept on getting Jeffish at the boat ramp!
Chris
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Couldn't agree more Shane.
And I know that I am the AFANT basher around here but what I don't get is how come you and Cuddles can put up two extremely good points about why the rules are a joke (deal breakers if you ask me). But AFANT can do surveys and talk shyte for 12 months and still balls it up worse than it was before?

Whilst the asylum is being run by the lunatics we are in trouble.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

mac10 wrote:Closure at Lorna - The survey guys must have kept on getting Jeffish at the boat ramp!
I was waiting for it :moon: , I refuse to talk to those pr..ks for just this sort of reason

As for the rest of this , what can you expect from the wankers
in government .DON'T FISH NO F@#kin IDEA !!!!
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

The same DH minister that got the Finniss closed. What hope have we got. They did the same poop down south, close areas so other areas get concentrated fishing pressure. Real smart.
Chris
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

.... :fubird: :fubird: :fubird: :fubird: :fubird: :fubird: ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

ghound wrote:Couldn't agree more Shane.
And I know that I am the AFANT basher around here but what I don't get is how come you and Cuddles can put up two extremely good points about why the rules are a joke (deal breakers if you ask me). But AFANT can do surveys and talk shyte for 12 months and still balls it up worse than it was before?

Whilst the asylum is being run by the lunatics we are in trouble.

mate I totally agree with you - that why I stopped paying to be a member of AFANT - complete and utter waste of money cos the do nothing.
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The reef fish regulations could be debated endlessly.

However the 90cm+ barra rule is odd. A slot limit of 55-90 across the NT with no provision to take bigger fish would have been the way to go.

No need to keep trophies because taxidermists use their own moulds anyway, and big fish are higher in mercury so not as good for the table. And they are the valuable breeders.

Glad they allow spearing of baz now, can't see why a dead barra on a spear is any different than on a hook.

"Red snapper" limit is a surprise. Didn't know there was problem, don't recall it in the public submission, might be my funky memory.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

WTF is a red snapper??
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

The thready bag limit of 1 at shady is a joke too, they are there in major numbers some days and if the barra ain't biting are a nice by catch. Can't understand why we can't get a couple especially now they pros aren't there. I'm heading to Dundee tommorow, so are these new laws in effect already or does anyone know a date?
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Scottie5.3 wrote:The thready bag limit of 1 at shady is a joke too, they are there in major numbers some days and if the barra ain't biting are a nice by catch. Can't understand why we can't get a couple especially now they pros aren't there. I'm heading to Dundee tommorow, so are these new laws in effect already or does anyone know a date?
Not till April apparently Scottie

I'm a bit disappointed with the Lorna closure but I'm sure that I can find more marks. It will mean that my solo trips to target goldies will cease. Just too much cost. Might have to plunder the harbour more often. The one rule that I don't understand is the 1 barra or thready over 90cm is allowed. It will just mean the 1st big shady thready will be going straight in the esky. "That one didn't release Sir". They're going to be a lot of them floating around Shady as they don't like being held for a photo. They should be released boat side
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

This day and age, most fishos self regulate anyway.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

So I suppose it boils down to whether or not you agree that the fish stocks of jewies and goldies are declining.
If they are declining as the research says, then something needs to be done.
If not, do we just keep flogging the poop out of the place until we realise that we should have imposed catch limits 10 years ago?

Every state has strange laws - WA still require you have a ‘release weight’ hook to return fish affected by barotrauma - even though it has been proven that they just die when released.
like others have said, there will be an even bigger berely trail of dead fish behind boats
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I believe the one fish over 90cm is described and portrayed in a bad way. I think the idea was meant to be that you can keep one over 90cm and that was it. The idea was to cut out a portion of the black market sales where people target big fish due to kg mass available and keep the average angler happy. It has been takin too far and not sold to the public in an aprpropriate manner to my eyes. I could be wrong but that is what I think the plan was.

In effect it is simply putting a loop hole for everyone to to keep a metery if they choose to. :|
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I think a lot of people will be jamming 6inch nilsies down 90cm+ bazzes throats.