New Fishing Laws On The Way

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
skotty74
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Fishing Laws On The Way

Post by skotty74 »

“The solution to any problem –work, love, money, whatever –is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Re: New Fishing Laws On The Way

Post by alfie »

Definitely interesting to see what changes they propose and how they intend to enforce the changes.

Doesn't faze me all that much, as I never seem to come close to the bag limit anyways. That's with me trying, lol.
Good judgement is learnt through experience.
Experience is learnt through bad judgement.
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Robert Hope »

What are the changes? take a look at dis link for urself http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Fisheries/index. ... ng%20rules

Possession limits, size limits and vessel limits

Following the release of the "Protecting our Reef Fish" consultation paper in September 2013, Fisheries coordinated a broad survey of stakeholders to get feedback from recreational fishers and fishing tour operators. The results of this survey indicate clear support for management changes to protect and improve the quality of fishing in the Northern Territory.

Possession and size limits are standard management tools used to control recreational fishing catches. They protect fish stocks by restricting the number or size of fish that can be taken. Size limits may not however be practical for fish prone to barotrauma. A new two-tiered vessel limit will also help reduce large catches of "at risk" reef fish by boats carrying large numbers of fishers. Aggregations of spawning schools of fish such as jewfish and golden snapper may be particularly vulnerable to concentrated fishing effort.

General personal possession limit of 15

The general personal possession limit (GPL) will be reduced from 30 to 15 fish. This will help reduce the impact of increasing numbers of recreational fishers. Capping the personal possession limit at 15 fish per person still provides a generous quantity of fish to feed a family, while also ensuring fishing remains at sustainable levels. New specific possession limits for individual species will help protect vulnerable reef fish species and ensure high quality fishing opportunities continue into the future.

Some of the key changes include:
•A reduction in the personal possession limit (PPL) limit for golden snapper from 5 to 3.
•A combined PPL of 10 red snapper (all species), within the overall GPL of 15 fish.
•A minimum size limit for mangrove jack of 35cm (total length).
•A maximum size limit of 90cm for barramundi and king threadfin taken in the Daly or Mary River Fish Management zones. A vessel limit of one barramundi and king threadfin over 90cm will apply to allow the retention of a fish that is unfit for release.
•Species historically not subject to a species specific limits will have a default limit of five per person.
•A possession limit of 5 fish per species unless otherwise specified.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

When, this time
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Robert Hope »

Talk on the ABC Country Hour with AFANT says April 2015
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Post by alfie »

Thanks for the link mate.

I "think" it needs to be done, as it's seems to be getting harder and harder to catch fish now days (Still think it's just me though).

Mind you I have been in Darwin since 1983, have moved away a couple of times but have always come back. "Laid back way of life and the privileges we have over other states". Which will change one by one, I know.

As per my first comment. Even at 15 (GLP) it is well more than "I/me" (not talking for anyone else) would take in a day. (Honestly I have had no luck in just catching 15 fish in day for a little while now).

I will say that the fellas with the big boats, who head far and wide may/will feel it. I do understand that some don't often head out often due to the cost, hence they may want to take more. (Closer to the current limit)
Good judgement is learnt through experience.
Experience is learnt through bad judgement.
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

A trip to Lorna or the peron's is going to make for a very expensive 3 Goldies.
Chris
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

At least you will be able to get your three for the rest of your life..... In theory.
Think it's good to have a min size limit for jacks too.
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

Well it will be an expensive trip to the perons at least Mac10 because according to the map you cant fish at Lorna anymore
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

Bugger, didn't see the map. It says the map is indicative only, so I guess at this stage I can decide the co-ordinates for the shaded area...
Chris
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Needs to be done, but i think this will lead to plenty of pan sized goldies being "released" to 30m. No issue for me- we rarely get 3 each!
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Yep - see it now - big long trails of dead fish floating out the back of the boat - not illegal to keep dragging them up form 10m + - just cant keep them - who is going to drive all the way to dundee and then boat to Sail city for 3 small goldies - 5 pan size each - nice feed - not 3 - waste of time so keep dragging em up giving them barotrauma and then chuck them away - good one fisheries very intelligent plan - won't change poop. Also if you draw box on a map / fact sheet you need to give skippers lat long for the box?? Basic stuff I would have thought.

Dumb rules that won't change poop and will make people keep fishing to catch bigger fish
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

I'm happy with the Barra size restrictions too. The big girls need to go back as they are the future!!
Can't see any reason why you would want to neck a metery!!!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Yes and the 5 fish of any one species is another bad decision in my eyes. Gonna be hundreds of dead trickies floating around as it is impossible to avoid the little buggers at Dundee. I think this is possibly the biggest failure in the paper.

Im neither here nor there on the 3 goldies. I think it is not gonna change much on the killing front of them. What it saves will only be made up in baratrauma deaths from people throwing the juvs back. I think 5 was ok but not fussed about being allowed 3 either. All the same to me.

10 redfish rule is very vague. Describe a redfish. Is a moses perch a redfish, is a coral trout??????

And definatly need GPS co ordinates for green zones.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Main problem I see is the changes will mean more pressure closer to town.

Other problem I see is AFANT are involved.