Not a post about Shady

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Not a post about Shady

Post by jabsy »

With all the hysteria about Sampan over the last couple of weeks, I'd been getting hammered to join a convoy to the mouth for yesterday. Well fortunately after the pictures showing the lineups to get in and out, the plan was changed and we went closer to home. We put in at SWA, 2 boats, an easy launch. The road out was rough for the fisrt 20km but gold after that, apart from the odd pothole/washout.

Adam had a small goldie in the boat after about 15 minutes, from a trolled minnow in SWA. No pic, but went about 35cm and returned back to the briney for fattening up. No other action on the way out so over to the Wilshires for the serious stuff. By the time we caught up to the other boat, marty had boated 4 little barras, all between 40 and 55, none for the box. We split up again only to return to marty with an 88cm in the esky caught casting at snags.

We worked up and down the place, I got a nice hookup which turned into a dead weight, giving me a fat little cod for the box. We only got one more fish for the day, but it made the day. It was my first barra for the boat since I bought it, and a good fish to christen it on. Pity it was a day early for the seadogs comp... She fought deep and hard, didn't come up for any aerial fun and games, just the one or two headshakes out of the water, and wasn't keen on meeting the net.

Anyway out fo the water for a couple of photos, a lie down on the mat for 98cm (I could call a meterey if I measured with the mouth open :D ) and a little swim alongside the boat before powering away back off to recover.

Not much beats the high of a battle with a big barra. No wonder Sampan has been flat out for the last fortnight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Not a post about Shady

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice work :mrgreen:
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

wow mate great looking bazz ,thanks for the report & pics :mrgreen: 8)
Macca74
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Macca74 »

Good one Jabsy, nice fish. I had a similar thought to you, beat the crowds, so went to the South and down to Brooke. Was slow going, dropping one in the 80's and that's it.
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Post by alfie »

Nice one mate, great first barra for the boat. How rough /sloppy was the road? Thinking of heading out there midweek, if I get leave approval. Cheers
Good judgement is learnt through experience.
Experience is learnt through bad judgement.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Cheers all. Road was firm at 7am, but slop at 4pm. Bad at the howard springs end but gets better.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

We fished the change for a jewie and a bunch of bustoffs. No luck chasing barra on the incoming tide
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Very healthy looking barra mate, well done!
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

theodosius wrote:We fished the change for a jewie and a bunch of bustoffs. No luck chasing barra on the incoming tide
what sort of boat? I saw a couple anchored up just downstream from the narrows, we did bring some bait in case we wanted to fish the change. I have fished the bottom over there, but there were two boats anchored up close to where I have some marks so didn't bother trying to push in..

It was a good day, the weather was kind in keeping the rain away for most of it, but it was damn hot when the sun was out. Couldn't put any shade up due to a small mechanical failure.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Well done mate, nice barra
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Great stuff. Ripper fish.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Niiice fish mate. I would have paid the :D metery
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

good fish mate well done

mot a bad spot to go and have a flick
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!