The rainy season so far

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The rainy season so far

Post by Robert Hope »

Fish Tank, i agree. Overall down by 200mm against the three month oct-dec 31 average to date

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

BOM outlook doesn't look good. But they get it wrong too. Can only hope.

If it flops, you mob still have macks, skinnies, trevs, billies, snapper, trickies, coral trout, reds, jew, jacks, salmon, mud crabs, milkies ...

And cod ...

Just trout, flathead and cockey salmon down here ... :fishing:
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

And squid trumpeter gar SBT snook crayfish scallops abalone :)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Squid yes, the rest require a bit of work, crayfish and abalone require paperwork.

Big fish so easily accessible in the NT, and the weather windows are huge compared with here.
fishbone
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fishbone »

cuddlescooper wrote:The argument states- " The early meterys at Shady camp". Unless you have poached shady camp during the out of season closure it would be hard to make such a statement truthfully???
The previous closures mean only one thing - we don't know if early meterys are more or less than usual at Shady Camp. But the fact remains, they are early meterys.
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Robert Hope »

the Run off is finished for now anyway. Unless there is another monsoon all burst it's game over....
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

the Run off is finished for now anyway. Unless there is another monsoon all burst it's game over....
That means the run-off has finished early, unless the terminology is different for Shady Camp :twisted: :lol:
Robert Hope
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Robert Hope »

The NT BOM say this about the return of the monsoon http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/mjo/#tabs=Weekly-note

The Daly Crossing at the police Station is only a little over metre at the crossing. The back road to Litchfield is open too currently. Heard a report that you need to use the tide to launch at Shady. Just saying
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

tropical cyclones can form at any time within the season regardless of the strength or position of the MJO.

From your link

You do post a bit like someone that lives at Dundee and works for the BOM :wink:
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Link says MJ and SO are normal, so there's nothing reducing the chance of big falls later this month and March/April.

It's impossible to know, it ain't over 'til its over.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Doesn't matter if we get a big drop or two. You need sustained rain for it to be a good runoff. Something we haven't seen for three years.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

scottmac wrote:Doesn't matter if we get a big drop or two. You need sustained rain for it to be a good runoff. Something we haven't seen for three years.

Agree........Need a few days of good monsoon every 2-3 weeks and sustained afternoon rain to keep it full.......Throw in a low pressure/cyclone and we have a run off........

This year once again has failed to deliver and IMO I think we would be clutching at straws to see it get any better......

We will get more rain....when?......who knows.........I hope it's not too far way.
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

the run off at Shady has just about all but finished.
ther were 6 boats waiting to launch on sunday (yesterday) morning waiting for the tide to rise.
lucky for me in my small tinny i just went straight to the head of the que and led the way.

what it looks like on high tide now, is what it should look like on a low tide with decent rain.

plus it appears as tho the main water flow is now not over the main barrage anymore.
the little creek that has appreard next to the new second barrage that has bust through now has better water flow then the main barrage. and is only getting deeper/wider with more flow.

doesnt appear to have the 1000's of rats that were there last year as well. (the fish tank size ones - 10/20cm)
you just about couldn't aviod them last year. but havent caught a single one this time round.

also there were only 14 Boats in on Saturday and 16 on sunday. (barely saw another boat all day)
there were more boats at the Adelaide river ramp when driving home then at Shady.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Matt Flynn wrote:Link says MJ and SO are normal, so there's nothing reducing the chance of big falls later this month and March/April.

It's impossible to know, it ain't over 'til its over.

It's over! Even with more rain (still none on the horizon) this prolonged break has done the damage. :banghead: 3 years in a row. :cry: The only one's sprooking otherwise will be the barra guides (Shhh ... don't scare off the Southern Punters) and tackle shop owners.

Although I've still caught at least 1 barra every week for the last 6 weeks. I think this is more due to my angling ability :wink: :rofl: than the non-existent runoff.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

I work on my pool overflowing system, if it overflows its a good rain.

Twice in two days :fishy:
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.