transams and threadybusters

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

transams and threadybusters

Post by MattyA »

was having a quiet day today, cruising around when I happened to go past bl..dy FODW. Anyways, an old mate who works there now twisted my arm and convinced me that a threadybuster and two transam 95's would solve all my barra woes. Anyone out there who can give me some pointers how to fish these hard bods that want to be softies????
Where, how and what tides would be the best, no doubt I am going to lose some to snags looking at the hooks on the buggers!
Cheers

Matt

seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: transams and threadybusters

Post by seano »

How much were the thready busters? Wouldn't mind trying them out
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Seano, the thready busters go for just under $20.00 and the Trans about $26. Frenchy at the Tacklebox has both kinds. I picked up a Thready buster, yest to bust anything on it yet, though my fishing on the last trip I had it on was a donut for two days at the Daly and tried everything.
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
steele
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steele »

Just got some of these in the mail to try on top end fish...Look the goods but not sure if they will hold up to m+ barra or G.T's...Let ya know how they go lads..

http://www.imakatsu.co.jp/products/pro_a050e.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Fish Action
MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by MattyA »

Anyone got some pointers on how to best use these transams? They are meant to be the goods, hopefully they work at that price!

Cheers

Matt
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Had a quick google search and there doesn't seem to be much around on how to use 'em. Was a couple of video's on U tube but either the quality was very poor, or they more or less showed blokes catching fish, but not techniques. Might be best having a play with them in the pool.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
Jimjanski
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jimjanski »

i found thready busters were the goods on the bynoe flats last time i was there on the neaps (for salmon and bazz), didnt have to work the lure too hard as it has a fast darting and diving action, as long as the fish see it they'll have a go, i was turning fish in the water even 3-4m possibly even 5m away from the lure. Found the best color was white with a subtle goldish spray. Also Food for thought, i tried different techniques for jigging this lure (softie) up on the flats and found different jig actions attracted certain species (only targeted threadies and bazz),.
Technique 1. Jigging in a downwards action. I found when jigging the rod downwards the jig does a sharp side to side darting action, the harder the jig the more out to the side the lure darts and then drop to the bottom. saying that i did not produce any fish with the heavier action but when reducing the action to more of a twitch the lure goes from a darting action to more of a lofting drift, this allowed me to be able to work the lure in the targeted area for longer. This technique has produced its fair share of threadies but no bazz.
Technique 2. Jigging in an upwards motion. when jigging the threadie buster in an upwards motion the lure becomes a little unpredictable on the drop in which direction the lure heads (can be a little annoying around snags). Saying that a little bit of rod work and you can control its drop. when jigging upwards i have found doing a slow lift with 4 or 5 small upwards twitches on the drop then a 2-3 second pause on the bottom. This produce barra on the threadybusters. depending on where the fish are sitting i will fish that column with this technique.The hardware is pretty tough and can stand up to most punishment, (be careful around snags,) after a few larger barra in the 80's the lure is showing a bit of wear and tear but still able to fish with it, not bad considering the punishment it gets on the bigger fish. Threadybusters are a great flats plastic and an excellent substitute for its less glamourously priced counterpart (the transam). Hope this info of my experiences with this lure is helpful.
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Trans Ams have different wiegts......i think there action on the drop is a little better but hooks should be upgraded.

Cheers
steele
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steele »

MattyA wrote:Anyone got some pointers on how to best use these transams? They are meant to be the goods, hopefully they work at that price!

Cheers

Matt
Finesse twitching deep is my technique with the heavy ones. Slow roll with short sharp twitches for the lighter ones higher up in the water column.
Big Fish Action
Loki
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Loki »

MattyA
I use a long slow lift off the bottom. Works best in deep water. Have found that most strikes are just after the top of the lift as they start to drop.
You can also just burn them in fast. Found that out after an errant cast and was just cranking back in to the boat.
Cheers
Loki
Hayzie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hayzie »

so the transams seem to be fairly pricey, are there many similar products with a friendlier price tag???
Does The Job!
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Hayzie wrote:so the transams seem to be fairly pricey, are there many similar products with a friendlier price tag???
Heaps around now days (original post is a few years old).
NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by NTFizzer »

Transom's cost more but better action, last longer and take more beating in my opinion. Awesome lures! Just very expensive.

Chuck em in and let em sink to the bottom. jig up and let sink back to bottom. wait a few seconds and repeat. fish hit on the drop or pick em up off the bottom.

Alternatively, chuck at snag or whatever, let sink a bit, and retrieve using small, moderate or big jerks and allow time to sink between jerks, again the fish hit on the drop.

How to not catch fish on them??

Terrible for hooking up the bottom and snags, double hooks might be a better option.
barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barnzy »

Transams are the way to go just make sure u have a tackle back handy, I was sick of buying the Transams for $25 a hit though so now I use quickcatch vibes, there about a third of the price, $97 for 10 vibes delivered to your door, just google them and get on the Facebook page. They have some bigger heavier ones too which work quite well on the reefs. They don't swim as good as the Transams but at $10 each you don't mind getting them in a bit closer to the timber.
barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barnzy »

I should also mention quickcatch is an Australian company as well

Return to “Barramundi Reports”