Desert fish

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Desert fish

Post by Hemi »

Must be some of those 'early spangled perch' huh Matt..???
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

the golf course lake in Alice Springs was full of them. probably a large proportion of them done the runner with the flooding water. You get some other fish in the permenant rock pools out of Alice springs as well.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

used to get heaps of them in the Murchison river, even used to have fun catching them as a young feller.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

They are everywhere, caught them in the little creeks outside Brisbane.

More recently Brisbane creeks seem to be full of tilapia. I was looking in Kedron Brook last year and some of the tilapia were filleting size, the fillets would probably stick to a magnet tho.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Yeah Matt, dunno what they're like to eat, probably get drunk on them!,
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bobj »

Over 40 years ago, was supervising a 'dozer stockpiling gravel in the East Kimberley Region, about 2 miles (in those days) from the Dunham River. The 'dozer struck a layer of clay and I got the op to move to another area to win gravel. Being a Friday arvo, got the op to set the 'dozer aside for the weekend. Off to camp for the weekend and a 3.5 inch storm. Monday morning, took the op to the gravel pit and inspected the site as the op was doing maint. Went to the 'dozer gullet in the clay...It was full of water and possibly a hundred 2 inch long eeltailed powertails...They must have moved up from the Dunham through rivulets caused by the storm.

Cheers, Bobj.
Cheers, bobj.
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bobj »

Tried to edit the section, Powertail, NOT POWERTAILS...Dunno why that happened.
Cheers, bobj.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

bobj wrote:Tried to edit the section, Powertail, NOT POWERTAILS...Dunno why that happened.
Powertails are c.a.t.fish. it auto changes
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bobj »

Thanks, mate.
Cheers, bobj.
boof dog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boof dog »

Having growing up in Alice, these little fish are what got my fishing addiction started. 2 meters of light mono wrapped around a stick, small hook, some red meat stolen from Mums freezer and of course the BMX bike to get to the hot spots. Any bit of water connected to a dry river would have mobs of these and they would put up a good fight. Some of the more 'permanent' water holes would produce fat fish up to 30cm (yep we even ate them...very tasty). Also got black stripped grunter, saw bony bream and sometimes a type of eel tailed powertail. Yabbies(not red claw) were also found lifting up rocks and in mud.
I'd rather be 'Up North' than 'Up Set'
leopard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by leopard »

i desperately try so hard to catch spangled grunter in the gunn lakes ....still doesnt happen for me
:(
the rat king :
NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY:
leopard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by leopard »

also does any one know where to go to get tiny eel tailed Powertail (i need them for my tank) at the moment i have a tiny barred grunter and a purple spotted gudgeon (which were all caught from the gunn lakes )
the rat king :
NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY:
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bobj »

Thinking of having a drive down the Duncan in September to the Negri River for sooties. Anyone know anything?

Or, would the Fergusson be a better option?.
Cheers, bobj.
smartypants
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by smartypants »

leopard wrote:also does any one know where to go to get tiny eel tailed Powertail (i need them for my tank) at the moment i have a tiny barred grunter and a purple spotted gudgeon (which were all caught from the gunn lakes )
I live right on the gunn lakes and I catch spangled perch and barred grunter are the time, the best bait is muscles from the lake. but while you are their throw one out with a hook in its back as you might get a barra in return.