Recommendations on cooking Black duck?

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
12gauge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Recommendations on cooking Black duck?

Post by 12gauge »

So after a significant number of trips over the last few years, I finally got my first Black duck today.
I usually do the wandering whistler ducks in taco seasoning, which I like, but I wanted to do this one differently.

Any suggestions? :)

(The bird is filleted, so no skin)

olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Recommendations on cooking Black duck?

Post by olfart »

Usually drink 'Black duck' (Emu Bitter) icy cold. :wink:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

12gauge wrote:So after a significant number of trips over the last few years, I finally got my first Black duck today.
I usually do the wandering whistler ducks in taco seasoning, which I like, but I wanted to do this one differently.

Any suggestions? :)

(The bird is filleted, so no skin)
I'm not going to be too helpful either 12gauge, the last time I prepared black duck, many years ago, we roasted it in a lightly floured oven bag. Nice and tender. The next day we all had the same story, the galloping sh*ts!
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

I used to do the whole duck as a slow cooked pot roast. Stuffing, herbs, orange slices, and a bit of bacon on top, (bacon fat stops it drying out too much). Delicious when the meat is juicy and just falls off. With fillets you could do something similar or you could slice it thinner and crumb it like a snitzchel which I find not too bad for magpie geese.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

same as any game meat,keep it rare to keep it tender

Here's a few http://www.fga.net.au/duck-recipes/w3/i1045020/
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
12gauge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by 12gauge »

Thanks for all the tips and the link, everyone. I would like to try a roast with bacon and orange.

Ended up going with making it into enchiladas with a 50/50 mix of duck and goose breast meat diced. Wanted to go with something I knew would work because I was feeding it to a guest!
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

Camp oven , whole birds, with an inch of slowly boiling water, for a few hours , keep the water from drying up till the skin splits open, brown for 10 mins tops in 5mm water, then flour in and make your gravy out of the bottom of the pot…don't get drunk and forget to check every half hour or so!!!!!