Minn Kota ipilot Vs the Motorgude with spotlock

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Minn Kota ipilot Vs the Motorgude with spotlock

Post by Basstad »

Went into In and Out the other day and was told the newer Motorguide X something was the new thing...?....I had made my mind up to go the Kota but after talking about the Motorgude it got me thinking so I did a bit of net research and they seem to be a good thing and popular in the USofA.........Price is very similar definatly not cheaper by any great amount......It seems that the spot lock/anchor function is better than the M/K by most reports and battery life is a shade better aswell.

So does anyone here have any first hand info......good or bad?

Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Minn Kota ipilot Vs the Motorgude with spotlock

Post by Hemi »

Im sure the motorguide is a good thing, a mate has one and is happy with it..But ive had minn kotas and wouldnt have anything else now.. MK is proven good kit!!!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Mate I have a MK with ipilot and have heaps of issues with it holding on spot lock. Buy whatever fits your budget and dont worry about name brand.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Skippadman wrote:Mate I have a MK with ipilot and have heaps of issues with it holding on spot lock. Buy whatever fits your budget and dont worry about name brand.

I was going to get the MK but since I've done a bit of digging around the MG seems to definatly hold it's own......Price is not the issue here I think it was only $50 odd difference anyway.......I really just want something that will do the job without fuss.
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Mate with the MK I put it on spot lock, start fishing and then 30 sec later hear three beeps and it starts drifting again. Do your research and go from there
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

If its beeping and shutting down its more than likely a voltage problem from your source..?

Just look how many boats have MK... Proof in the pudding without a doubt!
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

I have 2 x century marine batteries set up in 24 volt fashion to run the MK and have nothing but issues with spot lock. Could run the whole boat with that much CCA.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Had it looked at..??

Or tried another remote? Sometimes the remote and head unit will lose contact with each other.. In the early days the remotes had an ordinary battery connection. From memory it beeps either 2 or 3 times when connection is lost.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

In the states MG are more popular then the MK from what I have read.

MG has a better spot lock in theory because use 2 gps point while Mk uses one.

My ipilot 55lb on holds my 455 topender in the creek but struggles in open water on any sort of run.

I haven't bought the 80 lb for my 6m tomahawk as Iom is not confident it will hold my boat.
The shalt probably not long enough for boat and will come out of the water when it rough. Yet they are fairly confident the mg will hold it on spot Lock with same length shalf. They pushing the mg brand fairly hard.

Time will tell I guess but on paper it looks a bit better.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Skippadman wrote:Mate with the MK I put it on spot lock, start fishing and then 30 sec later hear three beeps and it starts drifting again. Do your research and go from there

Thanks Skip,yes what your saying is backed up by many reports..........It's always hard to get honest feed back as everyone wants to justify their own purchase as being the best decision..........I think MK has had it's run but now the new MG will get more popular.........As always though more than likely MK will bring out a second generation model to win customers back no doubt.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I have an 80lb Minn Kota on my 5.5 Ocean master and spot lock works a treat.
By the same token though I have heard the Motor guide stuff is really good too
FTRAINED
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FTRAINED »

Basstad, I did the same thing a few months ago. Went to IOM to spend $2k on the MK Ipilot but ended up buying the MG a couple of weeks later after doing the research. The MG has been brilliant, whether using spot lock in the open water or exploring snake drains via remote control.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

The only thing that sways me from MG to MG is the I-Pilot link to Humminbird on the latest Minn Kotas, as I have Humminbird sounders. Other than that the Motorguide would be a good unit for me.
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

Has anyone with a MG had issues with securing it during rough transit? Also, does the MG have a quick release setup like the MK?
barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barnzy »

Iv head that you can link the motor guide up to lowrance and simrad, can anyone confirm this?