Buffalo creek

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Wads117
Silver Member
Silver Member

Buffalo creek

Post by Wads117 »

Does anyone know the time difference between buffalo creek and the harbour

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Buffalo creek

Post by cuddlescooper »

tide runs in 2hours 45mins later than Darwin.
Wads117
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Wads117 »

Cheers mate, the guy in the shop told me theres 20mins difference
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Need at least 3.7m of tide to get in and out of the creek.

The best way to work what time the tide will run in is through this calculation.

High tide - the low tide= difference. Divide the difference by the hours of tide.

Ie High of 6m @ 10am
Low of 2m @ 4pm

6-2=4m difference in tide between the high and low.

4m of difference divide by 6 hours (difference between high and low times) =.65meters ish. That means the tide will run in .65m per hour of tide.

Now if your low is 2m already that means you need 1.7m more water to get out of the creek. So divide 1.7m by .65 and you get 2.6 hours = 2 hours 36 minutes.

Add 2 hours 36 minutes onto the 4 pm low tide. Tide will run in @ 6:36pm.

This is a handy calculation to know. If you find a fishing spot and it only fires as the rocks expose you can work out the stage of tide required to fish it. Take note of time of day it fired and do this calculation to work out the exact water height when it happened. Eventually when you work out the exact time it fishes best you can plan to be at this spot at an exact time the spot should fire on your next trip.

Ie Woods inlet on a 2m tide which would be @ 4pm West arm on the 4.2m@ 7:50 pm , talc head on the 5m@ 9pm ect. (calculated using the above tides)

Hope some of this makes sense. The other option if you don't like doing the calculations is to look at the tide graphs on Bom that have a curve graph and will show you what stage the tide will be @, at a certain time. I don't have a smart phone so I do the calcs in my head.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Wads117 wrote:Cheers mate, the guy in the shop told me theres 20mins difference
20 minutes would be at the mouth. It takes a lot longer to get up over all the sand bars.