What do do with my 115 Yammy? FEEDBACK WELCOME

Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

What do do with my 115 Yammy? FEEDBACK WELCOME

Post by Quinntreximon »

Ive had my Yamaha 115 4 stroke for 14 years now and have looked after it. Its got 1500 hrs on it and the only part I have ever replaced is a starter motor. Last tuesday we were on another adventure when I lost power to a standstill. I took off the top and BANG the timming belt broke. Have taken it to a mechanic and the damage is major, pistons n valves. He says it can be fixed but wont be cheap, $3k to $5k I reckon.

MY QUESTION IS, 1. Do I get the motor reconditioned and give it another chance, refurb the freedomsport into a topender and fit an 88lb minn Kota for all up approx $10/11k

OR 2. Thinking of putting a secondhand ( good nick) Suzi 140 on it. fitted approx. $10k.

JUST AFTER SOME OF YOUR THOUGHTS.
:angel: :idea: :sweat:

sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Re: What do do with my 115 Yammy? FEEDBACK WELCOME

Post by sharkbait »

That's a tough one.. the you should get a good few years out of the recond yammy (providing the gearbox is good), but if the Suzuki is the one on Gumtree, that's a clean looking motor.. I guess it depends if you've got the extra cash to spend. The other question is what would you do with the dead yammy if you upgraded? That may be a pain to offload that too. If it was me in your position, and had the cash, I'd go for the Suzuki. Don't have a problem with Yamaha, but you can never have enough horsepower..
My two cents, anyway..
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I reckon fix the yammie for $3k.

Then sell the Freedom Sport, might get $15-20k for it (guessing don't know condition etc) then spend extra $10k and get a better boat with a solid motor for $27-30k. $30k goes a long way in the second hand boat market these days.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Good suggestion maxpower. You are right about the second hand market, there are bargains to be had.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Thats a big failure for only 1500 hours!?
Thats a real bummer & badluck mate..!
Id be looking at putting the money towards a new motor (obviously comes down to financial position i guess?)

Think I&O have the 1% interest deals on at present??
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
trevor schultz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by trevor schultz »

It's not the hours that let it down it was 14 years old when was the belt last replaced ? I like the idea of fixing and selling the lot and buying a better boat
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Thanks fellas I have considered all the above and might bite the bullet and pay a bit more. Trevor your right I hadnt replaced the belt but regulary have it seviced and have specifically asked the mech opinion on whether it needed replacing and each time it was said to be fine. In hindsight because of the age I should have done it. But you wouldnt think that the rubber would perish, no cracks, no sign of wear. But it all doesnt matter. gotta grab my tail thats between my legs and move on. :)
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

plenty of 2nd boats on market at moment…helped a mate get one in last 2 weeks and was hilarious that every 2nd boat we saw was a inpex worker interstate…….from what we saw is a buyers market atm.bout time the locals got some benefits. :rofl:
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

ps. and was easy to screw them down on price as they are desperate…
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Convert that freedom into a rear console and then upgrade to a newer motor at the same time mate. I reckon you save yourself in labour as they have to replace motor, wiring gauges etc.

Repairing your yammie is a band aid solution which might buy you afew more years of boat. Risky!

How old is too old for an outboard regardless on how well you looked after it? I reckon you done well with 14 years of usage. F.ck I still remember fishing in it when it was brand new.

Do some overtime and spoil yourself you homo.... You know you deserve it.
mick_c
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mick_c »

yiu need to decide what you want In a boat at the end of the day if you refit your currant boat and re-power. Then you will have a custom fit out that is tailored to exactly what you want. Something your not going to get in a second hand boat that someone else has got out to what they want or worse yet, factory fit out. Also in regard to selling yours and buying another second hand boat if there is so many bargains out there it's realy going to effect your sale price Aswell and you might not get what its worth to you.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What do do with my 115 Yammy? FEEDBACK WELCOMEg

Post by Quinntreximon »

Balou how did you know I was a homo you transvestite. Lol
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

I would fix the motor and offload the lot.
Buyers market at the moment
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Well I decide after advice to retire the yammy and purchased a 140 suzi off Mick C. Also getting him to covert the 5.3 freedom sport into a topender with a bigger cast deck. Should come up brilliant.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

You bastard! I was going to buy that motor today! :banghead: I saw this thread when I was stuck at work and thought ' I bet he beats me too it! :cry: