trailer guides

dazza32
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

trailer guides

Post by dazza32 »

Hi Guys
Need help with my trailer. Its a bugger to retrieve from the beach even when just a bit swelly. Doesn't seem to centre and leads to belts on the trailer and much swearing. You cant drive it on and its only 4.5mt rear tiller. Should I replace the rear with multi rollers or perhaps ezi glides? This is currently how rear looks.
Any ideas welcome.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: trailer guides

Post by cuddlescooper »

If you want to make some serious mods i would take the poles off that hold the rollers and weld 2 bits of angle and put a ladder way set of rollers the length of the trailer. Then weld a v shape at the rear of the trailer facing horizontally out with some soft skid material. this will guide the boat onto the ladder way rollers. If you wanted to go one step further you could use those rollers that self centre.

On the other hand a simple (less effective) fix would be to use self centre rollers and just put some skid material on the back of the trailer where the boat guides onto the rollers. I would lower all the skid poles too as I dont see a need for them to be that high. Set them up so they angle down from the front being the highest to the back being the lowest. Should help the boat slide off better. need to angle the outer skids the same of course.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Easiest way is buy a self centring roller
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Remeber to put the roller on the right way too.
Don't put your boat to far in the water or the roller wont work till keel hits it.
lots of little mods you can do try easiest and cheapest first see how you go .

Cheers
dazza32
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dazza32 »

hi guys, don't think I can lower the skids as boat would sit on guards. will try new roller and maybe slightly lower back of skids.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Have a close look at your last roller. It is higher than the keel and there is no weight on it. Move it down a bit and then move the boat back a few inches on the trailer by adjusting the position of the winch post. Also like Cuddles said the front roller is the lowest of the lot, you need to reverse the heights.
dazza32
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dazza32 »

ah yes guys , I see what you mean. will try that and keep you posted.
Cheers
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Four things to note:
As mentioned your rollers aren't going from high to low. A vee loader of some description needs to be installed, whether it is just some skid material in an offset vee welded in or a store brought item (easiest. especially if you don't have a welder.) The winch post needs to be dropped back about 6 inches to ensure all rollers are in proper contact. p..s off the roller setup you have in favour of either the full length setup as mentioned or get rid of the two pin roller post setup and go with a u shaped bracket if possible, either way your back roller is on the p..s and lower on the right, if I had to guess I would think one of the dramas you are experiencing is the boat kicking to the right when you go to drive it on.
Cheers,
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
dazza32
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dazza32 »

Thanks john,
I'm trying all the suggestions and resetting back up. At the back I'm trying to fit an ezi guide system of sorts. Will keep you informed.
Cheers Daz
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Hi Daz the self centering rollers are OK I have had heaps but if the keel is rough they chew them up fairly quick.

Like someone else said drop the rollers as much as you can so you have about 25 mll between the outside edges of the hull and the mudguard.

A full set of rollers (8 to 10) along the lenght of the keel in a galvanised angle iron cradle is the go. You can brace this into the original roller mounts already on the trailer.

Cheers grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)