Sydney siege

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Sydney siege

Post by nomad »

The low life at the centre of the situation was an Iranian who was granted asylum and had a lot of form.
He was convicted for sending hate mail to the relatives of soldiers who died in Afghanistan
He was charged as an accessory before and after the fact to the murder - He was given bail FFS
He was also charged with a sexual assault
What a nightmare

The coppers were damned if they did and damned if they didn’t. For those saying the cops should have taken the shot earlier thru the glass, bullets don’t travel accurately thru glass ( That’s the stuff of movies) and could have killed the hostage/s.
He went to the café with one purpose. It had big windows for him and was directly opposite the Ch7 studios so he could get maximum coverage.
I’ll bet his lawyer is now regretting saying that he was a peace lover.

Good on the bloke who tried to wrestle the gun from him RIP.
No one knows how you would react in similar circumstances, but i reckon i would have had a go as well

For the survivors, they will never get over this and there will be some fu..ed up heads for the rest of their lives.
they are the ones i feel really sorry for.
Ive got 2 mates who were involved in similar unrelated situations years apart and they are still messed up 30 years later. one lives as a recluse

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Sydney siege

Post by Matt Flynn »

From a financial news website ... "Separately, the attack in Australia isn’t having a huge impact on U.S. markets early, but it does serve as a reminder of the fragile state of things, markets and otherwise. It also serves as a reminder of just how absurd the world we live in has become. Leave it to a BuzzFeed reporter to capture that for us with this dispatch from the scene: 'The situation here is one of creepiness. A lot of people have come to watch the hostage situation. Some people are bringing beers and taking selfies'. ”

This attack is far worse ... http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/16/world ... ?hpt=hp_t1

World is nuts.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Agreed. But because this one was played out on live tv, it made for a massive global coverage. The taliban attack will be forgotten in a short time just like the rest of them.
i wonder how many people lost their lives as a result of car prangs yesterday but they dont even rate a mention. What a world
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Matt Flynn wrote: A lot of people have come to watch the hostage situation. Some people are bringing beers and taking selfies'. ”
World is nuts.
nomad wrote:...... because this one was played out on live tv, it made for a massive global coverage. The taliban attack will be forgotten in a short time just like the rest of them.
i wonder how many people lost their lives as a result of car prangs yesterday but they dont even rate a mention. What a world
Hear Hear - we've only just moved on from 5 days saturation media coverage over the death of a border line test cricketer who wouldn't have made the 8th eleven picked of last century Aussie greats, and now the media will bombard us over this incident involving a random nutter.

Seems to me that a large majority of our population are happy to be dumbed down by all things TV or social media - if they can't see it live telecast it didn't happen. And if it makes TV & the talking head winds it up to the max - then it must be important? What a bunch of drama loving morons we've become.

Doesn't help that all those with vested interests will tell lies, and also wind it up to get maximum personal benefit - Tony Rabbit still insisting this was a 'terror' attack on Australian soil (trying to make this his 'Tampa' ??).

Can't wait for the flood of terror/security "experts" advising how much more we all need to make use of their services ........

Thank god the boat has no TV - and radio is fixed to footy/racing channel!!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I was watching the news and saw the thousands of flowers being left there.
I must be a cold hearted bloke but i think what a waste. Maybe they are thinking it could have been them going about their daily life, i dont know

The only good thing out of this is that the florists have a boom in sales.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

The only good thing out of it nomad is the ridding of a piece of rubbish that should not have been here in the first place
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

There has to be a lot of questions asked - why was he on bail? why was he taken off the 'terror watch list' while he was still appealing his last convictions etc etc
as I've said many times we don't have a justice system - we have a legal system that is full of holes and the person with the best lawyer will usually win.
you may ask how a person who has been on the dole ever since he arrived in Oz is able to afford a top lawyer. legal aid. the real crooks know how to work the system

there are many many worse than him walking the streets .

i wonder how the magistrate is feeling now after she granted bail. i suppose that when you are dealing with heavy duty crims all day everyday, something as minor as multi sexual assault charges and assisting in a murder before and after the fact might be minor.
No wait, surely that's got to be at the top of the 'keep him locked up' tree

whats the solution? we cant lock up everyone - can we? the can is full of mostly drug addled people and a few 'good crooks' mixed up in there as well.

the law is supposed to reflect the views of society. the trouble is that the law is administered by lawyers and judges who all mix in the same circles and most have little idea of the real world.
most pollies are former lawyers so we are pretty well buggered.

while we cry for more coppers to help catch the bastards who break in and steal our stuff, the 'good crooks' are free to roam the streets or do cushy jobs after they kill someone in a hit and run.

like i said, in a few weeks, this will be outweighed by the next big tv event and we will all whinge about it but do nothing because its all too hard.

as long as we have fuel for the boat and an esky full of grog, and it doesnt bother us directly, we will go on with our lives
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

nomad wrote:like i said, in a few weeks, this will be outweighed by the next big tv event and we will all whinge about it but do nothing because its all too hard.
It's been a few weeks since Miley Cirus or Kim Kardashian showed some unsolicited flesh.....
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

nomad wrote:I was watching the news and saw the thousands of flowers being left there.
I must be a cold hearted bloke but i think what a waste. Maybe they are thinking it could have been them going about their daily life, i dont know

The only good thing out of this is that the florists have a boom in sales.

Your not the only cold hearted one mate, over time some of us become desensitised to this stuff.

The florists would have cleaned up big time!!
The other thing about the siege is we've finally stopped hearing about philip hughes!!

Lastly, i congradulate the NSW police force, they were faced with yet another extreme situation with a guy whos soul purpose that day was to take lives..! Considering there are hundreds of sieges in this country every year, this one was good result.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Why so much coverage?......Tipping point!!

Hemi you talk about being desensitised, is that from watching to many movies?
----------------------------
-----------------------------
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Just watching the news and saw that the 80 y/old bloke who was the first to escape, only goes to that coffee shop once every year after a dr appointment. Is that good or bad luck?

Lots of people are saying that the coppers should have taken him out earlier. Taking a risky shot thru glass is not on. Plus they didn’t know what he had in the backpack or a dead-man switch etc etc.
I feel for the coppers.

Life goes on but those poor buggers (and the hostages) will have nightmares for the rest of their lives. some people get over it but most wont.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Ben Jam wrote: .....Tipping point!!
:? to what ???
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It was just some crazed loon who got more publicity than he ever deserved. RIP to those that paid the ultimate price for his lunacy.

The world media is moving on to more uplifting news now ... http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... 7160275259
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

slug wrote:
Ben Jam wrote: .....Tipping point!!
:? to what ???
Lindt will never taste the same........

But seriously this action has the potential to change a lot more then we think, the way people vote, legal system, security, and much much more.

Regardless of what people say that was the first major IS attack on home soil and the whole world was watching. I was sitting in the UK watching every live update, every news channel was 100% following the story, nothing else but Sydney for almost two days.

Now my Facebook is full of #illridewithyou and #deathcult#fu*offwerefull people are no longer sitting on the fence.

From here we see a rise in Pauline Hanson, talks about gun laws, and a 100% increase in the use of words like bigot, racist, lefty and deathcult.

Both sides start to fear the unknown and thinks the other is f-ing stupid creating more divide in country that once apon a time only cared about VB vs XXXX, league vs AFL, or lures vs live bait.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Ben Jam wrote:Why so much coverage?......Tipping point!!

Hemi you talk about being desensitised, is that from watching to many movies?

No, no movies mate.

Is from living in asia actually.... These things happen quite frequently were my home is unfortunately.
Difference between there & here is... Here we try our best to protect hostages.. Over there they dont really have the term "hostage"
Police there will just storm in and kill everyone, gunman, hostages, everyone & the seige ends with everyone dead.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.