Satilite phones

barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Satilite phones

Post by barnzy »

I'm currently looking into getting a satilite phone for extended trips on the boat or car just in case of an emergency so I was thinking a prepaid option would be the best option. Can anyone on here shed any light on this? Types, plans ect... I don't mind buying one outright but I don't really want a reoccurring bill. Any info would be great. Cheers

shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Satilite phones

Post by shaggs »

What's this new thing out that clips to your existing phone and turns it into a satellite phone ?
Seen it advertised on the tele lately
Ok I google it,it's a sleeve for your IPhone
Here's a link
http://www.satsleeve.com.au/
Last edited by shaggs on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

I have one on30 dollar month plan,prepaid cards run out if not used.
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

When you boil it down, they arearecheap as chips. 700 initial purchase and 30 per month. You used to be able to buy cheap air time from the US but im not sure if its still available.
They are clear and a cheap insurance.
I even got a full signal inside the other day
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

We have a couple at work we use when remote, however when we need more we rent them from Telstra Shop winnellie. Might work out cheaper that way, depending on how often you go away.

If you want to buy outright, there is another mob cheaper than Telstra, Thuraya or someone like that.

I believe if you have global roaming enabled on your full-size telstra sim, you can pop it into a sat phone and pay the 4 bucks a minute call charges, if you have a sat phone lying around you could test it...
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Carcom have them mate - you used to be able to get a 50% subsidy if you went out of normal phone service range for a certain % of the year but that scheme has been shut down now.

I have mine on a pre paid plan and don't insert the credit until I need it - bit slower to get into action when you need it but that way IM not paying for credit I don't use.

Cheers

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barnzy »

Thanks for the info, I just got back from ITS communications in winnelli. Looks like I can get the satsleeve that shags was talking about for $900 out right, than $15 a month to keep the service and you just pay for what you use. Does that alright? How does your prepaid work Shane doevy?
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I'd put another vote in for "satellite hire". Or another option is to get a standard $10 a month plan and allow international roaming and you can use it like normal. As said above it cost a bomb to make calls and about $1 per text, but generally they are worth it when needed. Just don't mention that's it's for a sat plan when taking out the plan, they don't really like you using them this way as they sell sat phone plans for about 4x the price.

Also they sometimes have some 2nd hand units for sale at satellite hire so may be worth going to see they see what they reckon. They are at winnellie Telstra business centre.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Barnzy, I purchased an Iridium Sat Phone from Cracow - think they were around $700 but I got the 50% rebate. I also pre purchased $50 worth of credit - if I have to use the phone I punch in the code and the [hone has the credit - it only lasts 3 months from when you activate it hence why I don't just load it up.

Boys at Carcom would be able to give you the good oil if your going past.

Cheers

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

Yeh i have an Iridium, its 5 or 6 year old, good insurance on a trip as i don't fish within 100km of town at least….never has it let us down…even missed about 10 calls on it nearly 4 year ago, and rang back when the bite subsided (a bit), and id become a father, 5 weeks premature, mother and new son both fine….would never have known till a few days later, only for the good ol Sat phone.