GPS, our boat's or Google?????.

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

It may be a silly question, but why are our [boat GPS] and Google Island GPS not syncroninized ???.

Recently had to have new satellite receiver installed for my internet connection. Telstra wanted to turn of existing and switch me to an Asian positioned satellite.

No problem with all that, BUT as usual, Telstra contractor was organised from somewhere down south. I informed them that, while willing to bring out contractor, I expected to be reimbursed. Naturally they could not find "Goat Island", so I gave them all my GPS points, which on Google turned out to a long distance away, AND DEFENITELY NO NEED FOR BOAT TRANSPORT. Checked it myself, and I'm stuffed. Local GPS [verified by many] 12'46.957 S, 131' 14.344 E. But Google Map is a distant 12'46.5863 S, 131'14.2052. Has anyone checked their GPS at home against Google??, OR???? do Google maps get modified to suit what our innocent eyes are allowed to see?? As I said, Silly Question, but the older [and no doubt "stupider/silly"] I get, the harder I find it to trust those in power to tell the whole truth.

So bear with me, The local drunk @ Goat Island. KING KAI.

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: GPS, our boat's or Google?????.

Post by Basstad »

Does Google earth use WGS 84 or another format?...........By the way the street view cars are getting around Darwin at the moment.........you should ask if they will do a drive by for you Kai....
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

They are running off a different data system. One is degree's, minutes and the other is degree's minutes seconds. Take note of the last digits having more numbers than the first set. I know on my Lowrance GPS that it will convert the numbers if you put them in under the correct system then change the unit over to the other system. Google can also be changed to which ever system you want but I would have to have a play with it again to remember how.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

G'day Kai - Even with matched map co-ord formats and datums your GPS unit will be far more accurate than a waypoint taken from Google Earth.
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT Mick »

Kai the problem will be what Cuddlescooper said. Google earth defaults to different datum on original install.
You can change it in the tabs at the too of the screen.
I'd need to jump on there and find the correct procedure.
It is only 2 or 3 clicks away though.
I'll do it at work and write up a guide for you if I get a minute..
Once you do that it will be accurate within 5-20m
Be sure to zoom right in for accuracy though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Mick
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Goat Island wrote:It may be a silly question, but why are our [boat GPS] and Google Island GPS not syncroninized ???.

Recently had to have new satellite receiver installed for my internet connection. Telstra wanted to turn of existing and switch me to an Asian positioned satellite.

No problem with all that, BUT as usual, Telstra contractor was organised from somewhere down south. I informed them that, while willing to bring out contractor, I expected to be reimbursed. Naturally they could not find "Goat Island", so I gave them all my GPS points, which on Google turned out to a long distance away, AND DEFENITELY NO NEED FOR BOAT TRANSPORT. Checked it myself, and I'm stuffed. Local GPS [verified by many] 12'46.957 S, 131' 14.344 E. But Google Map is a distant 12'46.5863 S, 131'14.2052. Has anyone checked their GPS at home against Google??, OR???? do Google maps get modified to suit what our innocent eyes are allowed to see?? As I said, Silly Question, but the older [and no doubt "stupider/silly"] I get, the harder I find it to trust those in power to tell the whole truth.

So bear with me, The local drunk @ Goat Island. KING KAI.
If the coordinate format is Degrees and Mins to 3 decimal places which it looks like. The variation on the first coordinate is .371 minutes that should only be 680 meters you would reckon from there they could see an island irrespective of error. Unless I am missing something again.
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT Mick »

In google earth go to -
TOOLS - OPTIONS -
Then look down on that page that opens there is a menu box heading reading -
"Show Lat/Long" then select Degrees,Decimal Minutes (3rd one down)
That will bring waypoints closer for you to true.
Cheers
Mick
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Kai

Both Google Earth and Google Maps give the same coordinates for the same spot on the Goat Island. Google Earth says 12'46.957S and 131'14.344E.
Google Maps says 12.782679S and 131.238972E.( translates to 12'46.957S and 131'14.344E).

Where did you get the 12'46.5863S and 131'14.2052 from? Both GE and GM show those coordinates as 730 m towards the north.

Follow what NT Mick said wrt to how GE lat and long is displayed. I prefer degrees, minutes and decimal minutes. U can even put the positions into UTM (Zones, Eastings and Northings).

Both GE and GM use WGS84.

Decimals to 4 places in minutes are probably from Google Maps. Decimals to 3 places in minutes are probably in GE.

Can put a image of the different places up if u like
Regards
Ronje
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I would say he hasn't zoomed right in on the island when taking the co ordinates. Even so 800 odd meters is fark all to be out. Surly they could work it out????

Probably thinking its an island on an ocean not right up a river I guess??
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

The yanks are always shuffling coordinates around a few hundred metres so the terrorists missiles can't hit their stuff :wink:
Now where's my tinfoil hat...
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

Thank you all for replies and advise. For some reason I am unable to open Google earth last few days, comes up with black screen with "opening tips", that does not respond to anything including Close, have to power of. [Have had no one here visiting able to help]. Anyway, after Telstra contractor office staff could not understand why a boat was needed, I Googled island, right up close to between landing and bar [15 m apart] and took coordinates shown from there, so was just wondering as to why the difference.
Cheers and merry Christmas to all. As an old Dane, I had the big dinner Christmas eve [24th] with family last night, and will be here every day in case you need to get away from family. Kai.

Ps. First monsoon at least a month away. SORRY.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Goat Island wrote: First monsoon at least a month away. SORRY.
No finches?
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

Correct dannet, not a single one spotted yet. Casey the cute croc appears to have gone nesting, but is not a good indicator on oncoming wet, last year she stated in October.[but then Oct. was very wet last year]. Will inform when crimson's start their mating games.
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT Mick »

Goat Island wrote: Ps. First monsoon at least a month away. SORRY.
Within a week it'll be here Kai ;)
Cheers
Mick
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

Well NT Mick, More than ever "me thinks" that you are wrong.........I thought Casey had gone nesting, but as the good girl she is, she turned up for dinner last night, which indicates to me that last 2 weeks absence was just her annual "sexcapade". will now stick my neck out further and say, that apart from perhaps a very weak early monsoon, no proper one till mid Feb. at earliest. Kai.