Floor

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Floor

Post by jeffish »

yep cuddles $93 a sheet @ bunnings . I was in there this morning and there was none in the rack,,,
lucky I only went in for a screw

Jabsy , mippa ,, 17mm f/ply is overkill and about 10kg heavier per sheet .

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Bunnings. Palmy currently has no stock of 12mm tho.... They did have 18mm for about $138/sheet. Otehrwise the 17mm formply was $84/sheet.

Thanks cuddles, i didn't take the weight into consideration. I am keen on the extra strength from the thickness of the form ply tho... guess I should compare the two.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

mippa wrote:whered you get your prices for marine ply Jabsy? everywhere i've always been marine ply is way more $$
He is comparing 17mm form ply to 12 mm marine ply mippa,
To answer your question on what to use, it depends how far the supports are apart on your boat.
I have put a form ply floor in on a boat before, just painted the edge, and carpeted. It was as good as new when he sold it 6 years later. He did really look after it tho.
A few tips, before gluing carpet down, sand the film with a course sand paper to etch it up a bit and then clean off with metho, there is an oily coating they put on it to help prevent the concrete sticking to it, this is the same when painting it.
Make sure you prime the edges if you are just painting the edges, even 2 coats of primer as it can really suck it in.
Read and follow instructions on contact adhesive.
Once it's all screwed in place, go around and pull each screw out, put in a squirt of silicone, (not spike flex, just roof and gutter or kitchen and bathroom) just to seal around the screws.

I don't think 12mm would break or fail, but may feel a little flexy under foot, depending how far the supports are apart. But will be a little lighter.

Also with the form ply buntings sell 2 different types, a green edged one that is 2440 x 1220 which is a Chinese one, or a grey edged one which is 2400x 1200. This one is a little more $$, but probably worth it, this was the one I used before.

I have a price of form ply that I cut as an casting deck infill (on a bow rider) that hasn't had any treatment at all, raw edges, been soaked, left outside in the sun and still going strong 2 years on, no signs of falling apart.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

sweet cheer mate. i used 17mm form last time with a half assed water proofed job and it was great but when i went overseas for 4 months last year i left the bungs in the boat and the floor was flooded from the rain for the whole time so its stuffed now. might take a bit more pride in it this time and see how it goes.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

jeffish wrote:yep cuddles $93 a sheet @ bunnings . I was in there this morning and there was none in the rack,,,
lucky I only went in for a screw

Jabsy , mippa ,, 17mm f/ply is overkill and about 10kg heavier per sheet .
Whod did ya screw in there. Haha :roll:
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Thanks for all the advice folks, but ended up selling the boat without a floor... Now its somebody elses job.
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

Another option to seal ply is to use flowcoat
www.seacodemarine.com.au

Aluminium welding, marine electrical, trailers and fishing...
kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

To seal the floor just grab a vynilester resin, mix it up and use a cheap paint roller to apply, get all your sheets cut and fit first so you can seal all edges. A 40-80 grit sand will help stick Fibreglass to the marine ply as it can shear off, resin should be fine without sanding.
All Quintrex/Stacer savage use a spray contact cement (essentially), can get brush forms, put your carpet on a flat surface, stencil around your pre cut sealed timber, put glue on both parts and let it tack off a little, put your timber down on your stencil marks, cut around the timber leaving enough to fold the edges around the timber. And your done. Just remember to allocate 3-5mm for your carpet thickness when cutting your timber...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

seano wrote:
Basstad wrote:12mm ply and use everdure to finish it off........Google everdure.......Darwin Shipstore used to sell it not sure now but it lasts a long time.........I had it in a boat for over six years and no dramas........make sure the first coat is thinned down so it penetrates well then just go for it on the second coat.....

Or you could go all out and fiberglass epoxy resin it........it won't rot but by christ it will be heavy.
And I own the boat now- (4.5 bluefin warrior) floor is still going strong :mrgreen:

Yeah that's the second one I have done with everdure..........it's good stuff..............good boat that one served me well.
Lumborghini
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Lumborghini »

I Used West 105 2 part Epoxy to seal 20mm structural ply, gave it 2 good thick coats, has been in the weather now for 2 years and no drama at all.
used about 4 litres all up so only added approx 4kg,
Lumbo,

If i'm too drunk to walk I'll rock the party on crutches...