Media release - Tiwi fishing permits

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Media release - Tiwi fishing permits

Post by fish4me123 »

Is their a map showing western no go area. Eg how many nautical miles from coast?

tight lines
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Cozzy0011 wrote:After a meeting with the Land Council yesterday it was also confirmed that a US marine base on the eastern side of Mellville is being negotiated, that should cut some access off to

Nothing would surprise me up here :lol:
disco
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by disco »

Anything that has water on it on an absolute low was always accessible

And now the island is more accessible. This just seems to be good news all around for me. Not understanding the anger?
www.tidesandtrails.com
My camping and fishing stories, including some cool locations
Instagram: tidesandtrails
BarraBob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BarraBob »

Always fished Melville and never had a permit We are all Australians and with no boat rego or licences what could anyone do even if they ever approached us. I never go ashore so never needed a permit to access Australian waters. I work and pay tax sick of this pandering to none functional members of our society. Sorry if this offends but i don't subscribe to the politically correct minority. In my opinion this is what is dividing Australia today.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

My understanding is the negotiators have given away more than the Blue Mud Bay ruling allowed for (low water mark) as part of the deal with some of the boundaries. Hope to confirm this or otherwise soon.

Regardless, other Aboriginal groups will see this agreement, and if every place that has or gets a lodge or resident guiding operation demands exclusion of other users, it will get interesting down the track.

The old Tiwi system of permit camps right around the islands was a very good one, it bugged me that some people would brag about going without paying, it seemed a small price to pay for access to such a great coast. Perhaps the Tiwis saw the lack of permit purchases and felt it wasn't commercially worthwhile, so "let's give it to the lodges".

The TOs have the power now, they will do what they want.

At least boaters can fish the south and east side - I believe that now includes FTOs, netters and recreationals.
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

here here BarraBob
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

fish4me123 wrote:Is their a map showing western no go area. Eg how many nautical miles from coast?

Blue Mud Bay decision only gave rights to the intertidal zone, which is landside of the mean low water mark and for ease of enforcement across the mouths of creeks.

Offshore (seaward of the mean low water mark) has never been included and cannot be closed by any indigenous organisation because it's not theirs to close. (e.g If you fished an area, outside a creek, that never dried you would be more than far enough away from the intertidal zone.)

Only a declaration of a marine national park, government gazetted no fishing zone, etc could close or enforce a permit system in the offshore fishing grounds.

Plenty of good fishing off the west and north coasts of the Tiwi's boys so go out and get em.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

disco wrote:Anything that has water on it on an absolute low was always accessible

And now the island is more accessible. This just seems to be good news all around for me. Not understanding the anger?

Correct. :mrgreen:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

You've been locked out of the best Tiwi waters for 20 years so the lodge punters can fish there exclusively. This may well be a good thing for the lodges, but I don't think it is something to celebrate.

It is what it is. The free access to the southern creeks is a good thing, at least there has been that concession, they could be bl..dy minded if they wanted too. Depends how bl..dy minded the government negotiators could be in return!

Like I said, if more places want exclusive access for their commercial operations, it will get interesting. More and more people every year, with fewer and fewer places to go.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

While we are on the topic of heading over that way, if I had the correct permits, is there anywhere to buy fuel over there?
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Scottie5.3 wrote:While we are on the topic of heading over that way, if I had the correct permits, is there anywhere to buy fuel over there?

Pirlangimpi and Nguiu you will need a fuel card. Bit of a walk too.
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

Ngui has sporadic opening hours..would double check for there opening times,plus they sometimes run out of fuel cards.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Here's the official map from the NT Govt. I added the http://www.fishingterritory.com link :)

Actually a bit more area here available than was previously, but closures now over those big bays like Port Hurd, Snake Bay and the Johnson mouth.

If it is true about a US Marine base on the east side of Melville then no doubt the east side would become off limits. Anyone got a link to official comments on the marine base proposal? Seems like an odd place for a base ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

Now it is going to get interesting. That map is not in line with the findings of the high court in relation to the existence of native title over seas that overlie Aboriginal land. Under that decision most of that map is completely inaccurate. The creeks on it appear to be close to the mark however markings on the western coastline, Port Hurd (which is not a creek, or inland creek) and all of the general coastline markings are outside of the decision and I would suggest, remain unenforceable. The top coastline to exclude the Johnson back to snake bay is not even close.

So, the minister is either giving away public land (seas) that is not ownd by the Tiwi Islanders (without public consultation) or he has been so poorly informed, he has been bluffed into announcing something that is not lawful. Or, they are just trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Thoughts?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That is one of the major concerns, that they appear to have given away more than the Blue Mud Bay decision allowed for.

Perhaps this will be enforced by some separate law. It also says in the release they want the rangers to have "new powers".

I think it sets a bad precedent, everyone will be asking for extra.