Mounting 2 Humminbird transducers at the transom?

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Mounting 2 Humminbird transducers at the transom?

Post by jabsy »

I've been needing to upgrade my boat electronics for a while now and while I have been keeping abreast of the various brands, I always keep coming back to Humminbird. Anyways I took a punt and bought an 859 Down Imaging unit, and have an 898 side imaging unit on the way. I plan to have the two units mounted side by side on the centre console.

This gets me to the mounting location of each transducer. I went for the 859DI as I understand the dedicated unit gives better DI than the SI models. In hindsight I should have bought another SI unit instead of DI but i understand that DI is better on the dedicated units... Too late to return it now anyways.

I have a 5.5 metre alloy tinny, currently running 2 Navman head units. I plan to put the DI transducer where the Navman transducer is, and mount the SI transducer on the other side. I am chasing some feedback/confirmation on the location of the SI transducer as I have a couple of small "pods" on the transom of the boat that stick out maybe 10 or 12 inches.

The bottom three pics show the back of the boat. I would like to mount the SI transducer on the bracket which currently has the anode attached, however I dont believe this will be low enough into the water

Will the pod affect the side imaging signal?

Will the signal be affected if I move the anode 90 degrees on that bracket? It'd be a shame to lose it.

The top pic below shows where the Navman transducer sits. Will there be any issues with the SI if I mount the DI transducer here?

My other alternative would be to mount the SI transducer where the Navman transducer went, and put the DI transducer onto the opposite pod. It's more out in the open, but the cheaper one to replace if it breaks...

Any thoughts before I go crazy with the drill?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mounting 2 Humminbird transducers at the transom?

Post by mako »

jabsy, post your pictures here, you will get some great advice about transducer placement, http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php, your si transducer needs 180 degrees of clearance to give a clear picture, the beam beam is not razor thin so it needs some clearance fore and aft also, side pictures needed also.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Thanks mako, I posted there yesterday but didn't get a reply, I'm just an impatient person when I have new toys.

I did get some very good info today from Justin at BLA/Hummingbird on setting up the right frequencies, and its going into George later this week for a couple of new transducer mounts. George knows his stuff too so between the two of those guys its going to get awful scary for the local fish population by mid December...I will be pinging them in 4 different wavelengths...
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

You shouldn't have any problems with the pods, I'd reckon the sidecsan beam will be shooting under both. I have five transducers on mine, four on the transom (Lowrance) and on up front (Garmin). Very occasionally I experience interference, not enough to warrant investigating.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Blinky wrote:You shouldn't have any problems with the pods, I'd reckon the sidecsan beam will be shooting under both.
Thanks, I thought so too. Will find out soon enough hopefully.