How do you clean your boat?

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: How do you clean your boat?

Post by seano »

To clean the red dirt off -clean your trailer with a product that contains phosphoric acid- there are many 'Ali brite' is one. Brings trailers up like new but I wouldn't use it too often as is does taken a layer of zinc off

kavera
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kavera »

I use salt away, get the mixer too, works like a charm to get dried salt off. a bit $$ for the mixer and the bottle but uses bugger all. It also claims that it can be used to flush motors :/ not sure if id like to try that one though...
Old Mate
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Old Mate »

Im pretty OCD with my boat (just ask seano) all I use when I get home is a high pressure Gerni, CT18 truck wash and elbow grease. On the trailer I use the Gerni and lots of time and water.
Out on the water I just use a towel to get the blood off, just dip into the water and wipe off.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Clean the boat :? :bs: :rofl:
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

I've got garden irrigation hoses under the trailer with pin holes in it, connect the hose to that, bobs your uncle
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I'm with Old Mate....strip it bare after every trip and lots of CT18 truck wash and Gerni but I still have rust appearing in the top of the cross members :banghead:

On closer inspection is is due to poor drainage in the box sections. That will be replaced with C section very soon or maybe a new aluminium trailer but not sure how they handle the dirt?
Tight lines and empty spools !
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Smudge wrote:I'm with Old Mate....strip it bare after every trip and lots of CT18 truck wash and Gerni but I still have rust appearing in the top of the cross members :banghead:

On closer inspection is is due to poor drainage in the box sections. That will be replaced with C section very soon or maybe a new aluminium trailer but not sure how they handle the dirt?
I heard that truck wash puts holes in your Ali hulls and shouldn't be used.
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

We use emulso cleaner

Seems to work a treat.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

I wouldn't use any fancy cleaners IMO - CT18 has been attributed to corrosion on particular plate ally hulls, like anything though some people have no issues and some people do - I think if you get it ALL off you hull it wouldn't be a problem but if you leave it in the bilge ... yeah probably not a good idea.
I just wash mine with straight low pressure water most of the time, careful with high pressure cleaners as they can lift paint really easy if you have stone chips! One out of every 5 trips maybe it might get a quick sponge with very diluted new car cleaner (low detergent). It still looks alright for a 9 year old boat in my opinion - the whites are still white lol.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Peeing on the gunwhales becomes a problem as you get older :D

Unlike younger days when you could pee over any gunwhale from the centre console position.

Not sure what the solution is ... but less splash equals less cleaning :lol:
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Matt Flynn wrote:Peeing on the gunwhales becomes a problem as you get older :D

Unlike younger days when you could pee over any gunwhale from the centre console position.

Not sure what the solution is ... but less splash equals less cleaning :lol:
:rofl: I hear you Matt, my missus asked why the transom on my side is darker then the other side, :uhh: :shock:
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

All good for those who can reach the gunnels to start with... :P
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.