MPs more valuable than soldiers

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

MPs more valuable than soldiers

Post by Matt Flynn »

A quote from a News Ltd story, from a p...ed off soldier ...

“But today, the government that I have sworn to protect and serve, and that up to this point have been enormously proud to do so, has signed off on a deal that is essentially a kick in the teeth to every Soldier, Airmen, & Sailor.

“They have given us a ‘pay rise’ of 1.5% per year for the next few years. This is more than 1.5% below estimated inflation, and 140% less than the pay rise that politicians have awarded themselves in past years.”

http://www.news.com.au/technology/desig ... 7114540290

Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: MPs more valuable than soldiers

Post by Rug »

Cry me a river. Welcome to the plight of a large portion of the civilian population. Just the health benefits alone that defense members have access to are what so many low income Australians dream of. They do alright out of the taxpayers purse.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

[quote="Rug"]Cry me a river. Welcome to the plight of a large portion of the civilian population. Just the health benefits alone that defense members have access to are what so many low income Australians dream of. They do alright out of the taxpayers purse.[/

Haha Yeah they do heaps well!! 42k pa for a digger is fantastic, without being deployed on operations they can expect to spend 3-6 months a year away bush as a min (that's on 42k pa incase you forgot) there are a lot of soldiers with families up here who also qualify for centrelink payments.

BTW in Australia everyone has access to free medical it's paid for by the tax payers including soldiers, it's called Medicare !!

When a soldier signs up for 4 years, you would think the terms and conditions in which signed up for would be honoured!! Thats not the case, allowances are being removed, or cut in half. A soldier doesn't get the choice to say "stuff this i quit" ............well he can, but only after he completes his 4 years.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Either way, you gotta love the MPs pushing up their wages compared with everyone else ...
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Ben Jam wrote:
Rug wrote:Cry me a river. Welcome to the plight of a large portion of the civilian population. Just the health benefits alone that defense members have access to are what so many low income Australians dream of. They do alright out of the taxpayers purse.[/

Haha Yeah they do heaps well!! 42k pa for a digger is fantastic, without being deployed on operations they can expect to spend 3-6 months a year away bush as a min (that's on 42k pa incase you forgot) there are a lot of soldiers with families up here who also qualify for centrelink payments.

BTW in Australia everyone has access to free medical it's paid for by the tax payers including soldiers, it's called Medicare !!

When a soldier signs up for 4 years, you would think the terms and conditions in which signed up for would be honoured!! Thats not the case, allowances are being removed, or cut in half. A soldier doesn't get the choice to say "stuff this i quit" ............well he can, but only after he completes his 4 years.
Yeah, medicare puts you on a long waiting list for most people, dental is a dream to most. Will defense members incur a $7.00 co-payment when they access on base health services? So the soldier is having his work conditions eroded away? Yeah, that is what so many civilian workers face. I am not saying it is right, I'm just saying it puts them in a situation that so many Australian workers face. Everybody has the right to have their wages kept in line with inflation and I think that is a no brainer, especially in a wealthy country like ours. Living up here highlights the importance of that very much. 42k isn't great but it is somewhat above the minimum wage that so many face. Access to education is enhanced (civilians are having their tertiary ambitions rogered by the same government remember) and the support network for defense members and their families isn't shabby. Genuine career opportunities exist for them to expand on that 42k. Another way of looking at that 4 years is job security. My understanding is the new base services contractor has cut staff significantly, demoted them and they have taken a pay cut basically to minimum wage just to retain the jobs they have previously done under the old contractors. Where is the outrage for them?
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Rug wrote:
Ben Jam wrote:
Rug wrote:Cry me a river. Welcome to the plight of a large portion of the civilian population. Just the health benefits alone that defense members have access to are what so many low income Australians dream of. They do alright out of the taxpayers purse.[/

Yeah, medicare puts you on a long waiting list for most people, dental is a dream to most. Will defense members incur a $7.00 co-payment when they access on base health services? So the soldier is having his work conditions eroded away? Yeah, that is what so many civilian workers face. I am not saying it is right, I'm just saying it puts them in a situation that so many Australian workers face. Everybody has the right to have their wages kept in line with inflation and I think that is a no brainer, especially in a wealthy country like ours. Living up here highlights the importance of that very much. 42k isn't great but it is somewhat above the minimum wage that so many face. Access to education is enhanced (civilians are having their tertiary ambitions rogered by the same government remember) and the support network for defense members and their families isn't shabby. Genuine career opportunities exist for them to expand on that 42k. Another way of looking at that 4 years is job security. My understanding is the new base services contractor has cut staff significantly, demoted them and they have taken a pay cut basically to minimum wage just to retain the jobs they have previously done under the old contractors. Where is the outrage for them?
I think the main point to consider in your argument about minimum wage earners is that they have the choice to join a union who will negotiate an EBA on their behalf. If they are not happy with the outcome they can "choose" to not accept the offer, can choose to participate in industrial action and they can choose to walk away anytime that they want to. This is not the case for ADF members who cannot refuse to work....well they can but they will most likely incarcerated, fined, and then discharged. Yes, ADF members enjoy good conditions.......but there is a pay off for that.....no overtime pay....ever......extremely long periods away from home.......often very uncomfortable working conditions.......frequent removals......there are many demands and stresses placed on ADF members that the general public would have no idea of. Now don't get me wrong.....I am not some flag waving Yank wanna be......our men and women who serve are hero's bullshit! But like everyone else they deserve at least to have a pay increase in line with the CPI. If you are a minimum wage earner and you can't get by or you are not happy then you have the tools available to improve you education, skills and or qualificaitons in order to be more competitive and earn more money. Under this government this option may become a distant memory for minimum wage earners as they are set to destroy access to higher education for the poor.....just like in the US...and what a wonderful caring society they have created. But....if you voted for Tony Abbott because you hated Julia Gillard...well you jumped from the frying pan into the fire.....but you pulled everyone in with you. So give yourself an uppercut! :evil:
No matter where you go, there you are!
Cozzy0011
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cozzy0011 »

I wouldnt say the support network is that great. Some mate who were injured overseas were pretty much left in the dark for months. I did 6 years more then my roso required and was screwed over trying to get out. Need to give 6 months notice but also need to prove you have a job to go to, who the frig will give ya a job when you cant start for 6 months, missed a 200k job in africa because of that poop
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

They do have an organisation that go into battle on their behalf with regards to pay. Their name eludes me at the moment. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm out
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Matt Flynn wrote:Either way, you gotta love the MPs pushing up their wages compared with everyone else ...
Notice that the MP’s pay decisions (that they make themselves) are always a long way time wise from the rest of us.
Just imagine if they made both decisions at the same time. There would be an outrage
doggies66
Seadog
Seadog

Post by doggies66 »

Some interesting points listed here. But whether or not you support Defence personnel or not Defence members had to give up leave and entitlements to get a 1.5% payrise. Members did NOT have a choice in this it just happened. Defence member are also having additional benefits taken away from July next year.

So whether or not you like them try doing this to the FIFO workers on a mine site and see what happens. The only difference with them is that when they fly in somewhere they get all their accomodation, meals allowances and get paid a damn site more than Defence.

When Defence FIFO they don't always know where they are going, when they are coming home and have to live in a sleeping bag under a million stars......
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

doggies66 wrote:Some interesting points listed here. But whether or not you support Defence personnel or not Defence members had to give up leave and entitlements to get a 1.5% payrise. Members did NOT have a choice in this it just happened. Defence member are also having additional benefits taken away from July next year.

So whether or not you like them try doing this to the FIFO workers on a mine site and see what happens. The only difference with them is that when they fly in somewhere they get all their accomodation, meals allowances and get paid a damn site more than Defence.

When Defence FIFO they don't always know where they are going, when they are coming home and have to live in a sleeping bag under a million stars......

I know from around the traps that the new base service contractor has under hired for the requirements of filling the contract, under supplied them to do the job, demoted the staff they did hire and force them into pay cuts of their hourly rate (which for most tasks is barely minimum wage). On top of that they are the ones out on the floor that are copping the complaints. These are the folk I feel sorry for.