Diagnostic advice needed

UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Diagnostic advice needed

Post by UncleD »

I have a 2008 Honda BF90 with 800hours which let me down for the first time off the Vernons last week.

We covered a lot of ground with many stop -starts however on 3 occasions, the motor failed to start...no spark...although the batteries (2) are relatively new and showing full charge.

I thought that it was due to the gears not disengaging however much wiggling of the control and checking the free spin of the prop suggested that it was out of gear.

On each occasion I fiddled with battery connections (which seemed clean and tight) and removed the cowling to check fuses etc...all seemed in order. I even tried manual stating it without success (in fact, I could barely get the engine to spin however as I have never tried this before, I don't know if this is unusual or no)..

Each time, the motor eventually started after 5 to 10
minutes...perhaps something is cooling after the passage of time?

I will take her in to B&H for a service and talk this though with the mechanic however this is the type of thing that is hard to describe and without intuition/experience, possibly difficult to isolate.

Does this situation ring bells to anyone? I'm sure it's simple.

My Giddy Aunt!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Diagnostic advice needed

Post by nomad »

I had an alarm (sounded like a water in fuel alarm i had before) on my 70 last year. couldnt find any problem
BH put the computer on it and couldnt find any problem either :bonk: i still dont know what was wrong but havent had a problem since.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Mate check your lead wires from your battery. In the past I have seen a hook or screw go through them and over time salt has corroded the wire enough for it to break. With wave action and movement you get temporary connection for it to fire.A simple test is to disconnect the positive on the starter and by pass it direct to the battery. A multimeter on the terminals at the starter may give an indication. Put the meter on it and get someone to wiggle the leads. If it fluctuates or doesnt give a reading of 13.6 volts or there abouts depending on battery charge there may lye the cause. the other options are a lose wire on the kill switch. Also check your isolation switch. I have had a dicky one before. by passing all of this straight to the starter may give you an indication.
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

Thanks cuddles...your suggestions sound like they are on the mark.
My Giddy Aunt!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Does it turn over or is it not firing. If it turns over but doesnt fire its most likely fuel or the kill switch. if it periodically doesnt turn over at all its electrical. is there any alarms? Does it run ok once started? ie doesnt go into limp mode? Have you had the leg covers off recently? may have pinched a wire in the lume.
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

No spark, no turn over....nothing. No alarms, no limp mode. Runs fine when it's going so as you say, its electrical.
My Giddy Aunt!
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT Mick »

Does the ignition/gauges a light up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Mick
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

Yes, all lights come on including the beep sound prior to starting
My Giddy Aunt!
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Diagnostic advice needed

Post by NT Mick »

Check battery cables( 2 thick ones probably size of little finger) are tight to start solenoid on motor.
When you find the start solenoid, similar to a winch or ride on mower one(Google it so ya know what ya looking for)
Use a screw driver or similar to join/bridge both thick brass bolts where cables join(one will shoot off towards battery, one will be short and go to starter. When doing this don't allow screw driver to touch any other metal)
If it cranks then you know the starter is ok!
It's either key/switch wire or solenoid.
If you have a test light or multi meter you can see if the tiny wire also going to the solenoid is Powering up whilst the key is turned to crank/start..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Mick