Adelaide River (Jumping Crocs)

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Adelaide River (Jumping Crocs)

Post by NT Mick »

I know you guys probably get this (sort of) questions all the time..
I've always just tagged along with mates fishing so never really bothered to worry about tides, moons, whens and wheres.
Just had to load beers, contribute to fuel etc & enjoy the day!!!

Just bought a boat after the missus talked me into it after 2 years of nagging lol (i'm a land bloke - hunting/dogging)
SO pretty keen now.
Thinking of taking the kids out to Adelaide River tomorrow morning for some trolling for a barra.. and the kids get to site see if we catch SFA.
Am i wasting my time with the large tide movement out there?

Cheers in advance
Mick

Cheers
Mick
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Adelaide River (Jumping Crocs)

Post by NT Wombat »

Might see you out there mick. No idea on tactics either. I'm gunna head up the river soley because I can get a beer and a hamburger if the fishing a slow
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT Mick »

haha....yeah good point.
Yeah probs see ya out there then?
Do you (or anyone else) know if ya get mud crabs up there this time of year seen as there no fresh water coming off the floodplains???
Cutting into my hunting time this fishing........But as they say "Happy wife = Happy Life" (& kids)
They could be humbugging me for worse things!!!
Gunna drop in around 8ish.
Last edited by NT Mick on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Mick
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Mate I think the fishing will be hard up the top on those tides. The Adelaide is a hard river to learn at the best of times. It is full of rock bars and other things to hit so be carefull from after Beatrice creek up on the lower tides. the ramp will also be cr.p on the lower tides so you will need to be in and out from half tide up. The tide turns nearly back to front to darwin times ie high in Darwin will be low out there. To have a chance at getting a fish I would say live bait on the big eddies and rockbars way up past goat island. Its about 40km to goat island and you can go a fair way up past that but the rock bars become more savage the further up ya go. Cherabin are usually good right up past goat island. You can get muddies up as far as goat island but the crocs usually check your pots before you do. Take steel pots if you are going to use them. Good luck
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Yeah im with cc on the fishing being hard up there, but im pretty certain its only 22km to goat island. Could still be a great day on the water but. Dont expect to catch anything, get the missus to drive, have a few beers, do some sightseeing and casual trolling and get a feed up at goat island for lunch. Cant go wrong.
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Its nice scenery and take ya cherribin traps and great beers with Kai at goat island
fishin is always tough

good luck
cheers Craig
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Great river. Too bad there are no barra there.
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT Mick »

Yep!
None today! Lol as warned
Would you guys in the know do mouth of adel riv or leaders/vernons tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Mick
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I would but I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie. Tide windows for fish are tiny and obsticles are plenty.
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

maybe try somewhere like corroboree first up? good chance of trolling up a few fish by trolling close to any lillies etc. Guaranteed to see some big crocs, maybe see buff, pigs etc. No tides to worry about
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

Well, first thanks for suggesting Goat island as guarantee for "getting something at least". I agree, not much caught here this dry, however cherubins have been exceptionally good all dry, both "baiters and eaters". Yesterday "first timer on Adelaide" Dave, with missus and young daughter, caught a 68 cm up Beatrice. Regulars still get heaps of rats with the odd keeper from 1st S bend and up. Kai.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great place to fish once you get the rockbars worked out. Most are marked in the FISH FINDER book. I used to fish up there a lot, love the top of that river.

The two tight bends well above Goat Island are worth anchoring in the eddies near timber at the turn of the low, you can cast the steep banks and horizontal timber or find a stand of verticle timber and jig.

Banging lures over the rockbars also works. I found the turn of the tide produced the action and outside that you had to work pretty hard, except during the run-off of course.

I wouldn't go right up top on a first trip with the missus and kids tho. Better to explore with a mate first and then bring the family along. Plenty of good snags and fishable rocks close to Goat Island. Watch out for the long rocky section below Goat Island if you are heading up there near low water.
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT Mick »

Thanks Matt
Next time up i will look around those areas
cheers
Cheers
Mick
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by chanos »

My favourite river and exactly what Matt said.

cheers
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
RP071
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RP071 »

We were reminded of some lovely trees, smack bang in the middle of a long stretch of the river earlier this year just passed Goat Island.