New allround(barra) Rod and Reel Combo

Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

New allround(barra) Rod and Reel Combo

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

Hi All,

Any body have any good recommendations for a new Rod & Reel Combo thanks :)

Heard the Shimano Stradic Reels are very nice indeed with the hevty price tag to boot.

saw this at BCF the Stradic 4000FJ Reel & Shimano Sahara 2014 Spin Rod - 7'3", 6–8kg, 2 Piece rod as well both for $219.00
here > http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/bonu ... M15WK17-09

Is this a good all round combo and barra reel/rod to get? was thinking it a bit on the light side, but 1 fish shop said buy their 4-6kg rod and reel?

Also bought 50lb fins braid, but possibly exchange it for some 30lb Fins Braid for this setup? or is that too much.

any recommendations on what to get and what you guys use...would be great!

Thanks alot

Cheers
Robert :)

mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New allround(barra) Rod and Reel Combo

Post by mako »

Fisherman-Rob, thats as good a deal as you will get anywhere...50 pound braid is too heavy...30 pound max...20 pound fireline if you want to tangle with tuna and cast a long way...learn to tie really good braid to mono knots...soft mono leader around 60 pound(enables braid to bite in better and prevent slipping), threadline outfits are under rated for their versatility to adapt to almost any fishing situation.
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

mako wrote:Fisherman-Rob, thats as good a deal as you will get anywhere...50 pound braid is too heavy...30 pound max...20 pound fireline if you want to tangle with tuna and cast a long way...learn to tie really good braid to mono knots...soft mono leader around 60 pound(enables braid to bite in better and prevent slipping), threadline outfits are under rated for their versatility to adapt to almost any fishing situation.

Hi Mako, thanks for your comments.

Yeah definitely change to the 30Lb Braid line for that setup. also i do have 60lb mono leader tieing on the braid. Any good knots you recommend that excellent for Braid lines and/or tieing to Mono lines as well?

I hear Fins is a great Braid line (the brand i bought), is Fireline equal or better then Fins Braid line?

Working tomorrow Saturday, any good places you recommend to christen the setup and drop a line for the weekend?
And should i use Lures or baits for catching the fish?

Thanks alot and enjoy your night.

Cheers
Robert
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Fisherman-Rob, try the slim beauty, it passes though your guides easily or the improved albright, both can be viewed on youtube.

Fins is a better allround braid, fireline casts better on threadline reels.

Easy option assuming you don't have a boat is head to stokes hill wharf 2 hours before high tide and soak live sardines (caught using baitjigs) on a 3/0 suicide hook, take some 3/4 ounce maribou jigs just in case...if you do have a boat then try fishing harbour creeks half tide down and first couple hours of incoming with small shallow minnows around 8-10 cm, or live bait.
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

mako wrote:Fisherman-Rob, try the slim beauty, it passes though your guides easily or the improved albright, both can be viewed on youtube.

Fins is a better allround braid, fireline casts better on threadline reels.

Easy option assuming you don't have a boat is head to stokes hill wharf 2 hours before high tide and soak live sardines (caught using baitjigs) on a 3/0 suicide hook, take some 3/4 ounce maribou jigs just in case...if you do have a boat then try fishing harbour creeks half tide down and first couple hours of incoming with small shallow minnows around 8-10 cm, or live bait.
Hi Mako, thanks alot for the info :)

No unfort I dont have a boat, so off-shore fishing is the only way at the moment.
So the baitjigs you referring to are the one pre-tied on mono with 5-6 small hooks, and then just jig them up and down just below the surface of the water?

Also if manage to get some live sardines, what is the best line rig setup to use? Maybe something like 2 hooks on mono line (tied 60cm~ or so apart) and then have a static or running sinker at the bottom?
Is it tidal there? What is the best sinkers to use normally around darwin off-shore? Stars sinkers or ball running to swivel above the hook?

Also if I was to buy bait for around off-shore fishing what is normally the best one(s) to get? Prawn, Squid, etc?

Thanks again for your help :)

Tight lines
Cheers
Robert
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Fisherman-Rob, get baitjigs size 8 or smaller, jig at various depths until you find them.

Rig with single hook, place above backbone, no need for sinker. Sometimes you will catch fish on the bottom, use just enough lead, running bean sinker, 60 cm trace, spring tides this weekend, small window of opportunity.

Prawn and squid will catch smaller fish, big fish like to eat smaller fish, try pilchards, mullet, or garfish.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Mako is right on the money. Great reel, I don't know much about the rod but I use a similar combo and I can cast tiny soft plastics and still tackle fish like long tail tuna, school sized GTs and bit Queenfish.

50lb is way to heavy. The stradric has a drag of about 9kg i think which is just shy of 20lb. Anything over that is pointless in my opinion and when it comes time to snap off that stubbornly snagged lure all that extra breaking strain puts your bail arm and rod at risk of damage.
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

mako wrote:Fisherman-Rob, get baitjigs size 8 or smaller, jig at various depths until you find them.

Rig with single hook, place above backbone, no need for sinker. Sometimes you will catch fish on the bottom, use just enough lead, running bean sinker, 60 cm trace, spring tides this weekend, small window of opportunity.

Prawn and squid will catch smaller fish, big fish like to eat smaller fish, try pilchards, mullet, or garfish.
Hi Mako, thanks for the information mate. bought some more baitjigs size 12, all that was left in store.
i will try that setup once i catch some bait fish next time i'm out.

I have bought Pilchards and squid few days back and will try take it out next time out as well for a bit of variance.

Hey as waiting for new stock of the Stradic 5000Fj reel (a few weeks away), Was looking at the Shimano baitrunner 8000D Reel and Rod combo for $249.00 at BFC at the moment. comes with the Bluewater Pro Graphite Composite rod, although webpage doesnt shown combo deal, catelogue does.
Here > http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... true#Cross

Looks really good and can engage the baitrunner drag on it as has two drag systems on it or disengage and use as normal reel as well.
What do you guys think? anybody own this or think its a good combo to get?
Also they recommend the power Pro brain line (possibly 40lb or 50lb) is this the same or better then the Fins Braid line?

Thank alot

Cheers
Robert
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

dannett wrote:Mako is right on the money. Great reel, I don't know much about the rod but I use a similar combo and I can cast tiny soft plastics and still tackle fish like long tail tuna, school sized GTs and bit Queenfish.

50lb is way to heavy. The stradric has a drag of about 9kg i think which is just shy of 20lb. Anything over that is pointless in my opinion and when it comes time to snap off that stubbornly snagged lure all that extra breaking strain puts your bail arm and rod at risk of damage.
Hi Dannett, thanks for your advise as well.
yeah thought as much, but friend said originally get the 50lb Fins Braid, but I have now swapped it over for the 30lb Fins Braid line.
yeah as mentioned in post above, was looking at the Shimano baitrunner 8000D rod and reel combo for $249.00
As thinking i have 3 other rods/reels around the 4000 size mark, and my other medium reel/rod broke (fixed tip now) so was looking for a replacement, and thought maybe best to upgrade the size as well? not sure if 6000D or 8000D as only $10 dollars difference in price?

Cheers
Robert