Epirb Registration

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Epirb Registration

Post by NT Mick »

Hey guys,
Just bought my first boat.
Apparently I have to register the Epirb to me?
Can someone shed some light on contact details for the NT to do this.
Cheers
Mick

Cheers
Mick
gove tony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Epirb Registration

Post by gove tony »

Just jump online and do it,pretty straight forward mate.
tony
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Its a national registration with the Australian Maratime Safety Authority at http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/registration.html
Tight lines and empty spools !
NT Mick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT Mick »

Legends,
Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Mick
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

The other thing to consider is and particularly up here given the lack of Coast Guard coverage around the coast is, the website has a facility where you can have a rolling trip log on line as a bonus safety feature if that beacon goes on a extended trip say to FTB or Marie etc twis . You can register you trip location, your number of POB, date out date back. If you don't log it back from the trip they don't mount a search automatically but if you do have cause to deploy the beacon on those dates and they have to respond they have a better idea of what you were doing, where and how many people they are looking for. Plus I assumedly they waste a little less time ringing the contact numbers to ensure the beacon was at sea and not in the garage. Costs nothing ,I did it when we went to Moss with 2 rods years ago.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

The best advice given to me the pilot of the careflight chopper is to get a GPS epirb because it takes a lot longer to locate someone on the non gps type and that could be the difference between surviving or not,

And learn how to use it before you get into the poop!!!!

Not like the 2 blokes who waited until they swam 2kms to shore before setting it off.
The only way they found them was by the strobe light flashing in the mangroves!!!

“The men activated an EPIRB which was unregistered and unfortunately not GPS enabled, this ultimately led to delays in the ability of Search and Rescue agencies to respond to the incident in a timely manner, further delays were encountered due to their lack of familiarity with the device.

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Media-Centre/ ... River.aspx