Baitcaster spool bearings

madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Baitcaster spool bearings

Post by madmortimer »

A while ago I replaced my spool bearings in a new Shimano Curado 201 I with Japanese Hedgehog Studios BFS Air bearings ( stainless) and found that being a miniature bearing they were best suited to lighter lures, they were good but decided to try the Boca ABEC 7 Ceramic Hybrid ones from the USA.
They were very good although a bit pricey.
I then had an older Curado 201E7 that needed a touch up so decided to try the Hedgehog Studios ZR stainless type for something different and was blown away. While casting with these bearings installed it at first feels as though the lure has parted ways. It's weird as the reel is silent and you have to take a look to see your lure is still attached. These ZR bearings are the best I have used so far out of about 3 or 4 different types/manufacturers both here and OS.
Hedgehog says they are equivalent to ABEC 9 and are definitely the next level of manufacturing refinement, you can run them with lube or without. Should not have to replace them for the life of the reel. The cost delivered is about AU$30 a pair from Japan and I think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/102
IMG_1739.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Baitcaster spool bearings

Post by I Wish »

Hedgehog bearings are excellent. I also put a drop of their Alchemy oil on each bearing for that extra bit of protection.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

I second that, Hedgehog Studio bearings are the cream of the crop in my opinion, they are certainly what I recommend and sell as upgrade bearings. The ZR are the pick when it comes to all round luring for Barra and I love the Air BFS for ultralight finesse plastic applications. The hybrid ceramic Airs are in a league of their own casting wise and whilst they are quiet for a ceramic hybrid I just can't handle my spool bearings making noise (any noise at all from a baitcaster apart from line does my head in, just ask anyone I fish with :evil: ) so I don't use them personally but if you can handle the whirring (que shimano dc aficionados here) they are unreal.

At the upper end of the performance spectrum what needs to be understood is that a huge amount of money can be spent for minimal distance gains assuming that you have a baitcaster in excellent condition to start with . This is largely due to there being a finite point at which any gains can be achieved because of the limitations of rod
length, spool weight, wind resistance of the lure and the total weight of the line in the air. HOWEVER, once performance is tweaked the first thing that is noticable is that the effort involved to make 'X' cast is significantly easier with performance bearings. This is largely to do with overcoming spool inertia ie. Getting the spool moving in the first place. Anyway just remember, alot of the time we are casting to
structure well within the performance envelope of any spool bearing
but once those casts become effortless all of a sudden the only thing
you have to worry about is putting the lure in the right place. And
guess what? When bearings are consistent this becomes much easier,
Where Hedgehogs' shine is they are very cheap considering the quality and the performance gains involved.

Hegehog Studios themselves are an absolute pleasure to deal with and bend over backwards to ensure customer satisfaction.
Cheers,
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Cheers John, Like you stated it's not about distance, it's the effort involved and the accuracy gained. I know it's money that may not be needed to be spent on a brand new reel, but for me, I'll upgrade every time now as the improved difference I think is well worth it.
Plus getting your gear right is a fun thing to do while not fishing!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Just ordered some ZHI spool bearings from Hedgehog Studios for Calais DC, Curado E and Daiwa HRF.

The Calais is a very good casting reel anyway but its gotten a bit noisy of late and just doesn't cast as smoothly as it did when new.

I've got a brand new Tica Sculptor that I'd like to upgrade but don't see it listed anywhere.

Bought some carbontex sheeting for $20 to upgrade the drags on all baitcasters I've got. Beats the Erskine kit prices.
Regards
Ronje
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

ronje wrote:Just ordered some ZHI spool bearings from Hedgehog Studios for Calais DC, Curado E and Daiwa HRF.

The Calais is a very good casting reel anyway but its gotten a bit noisy of late and just doesn't cast as smoothly as it did when new.

I've got a brand new Tica Sculptor that I'd like to upgrade but don't see it listed anywhere.

Bought some carbontex sheeting for $20 to upgrade the drags on all baitcasters I've got. Beats the Erskine kit prices.
Hi Ron welcome back
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hello Andy
Regards
Ronje
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Ronje,
You may have to measure up the spool bearings on that Tica Sculptor and get on Hedgehog Studios' website and compare the sizes of their existing kits and/or their random size list and then contact them with your requirements. Have done this before and they are happy to oblige.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Thanks for that John. Will do that once I've finished these others.

I'm also thinking of doing up the bearings used on retrieve.

Has either of you any experience with that?

Also have just ordered a sheet of 1/2 mm carbontex to make my own washers for my reels. Should be able to disassemble reel by reel and use the existing drag washers as patterns.
Regards
Ronje
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

I wouldn't bother with the high grade for "frame" bearings, you are better off making sure what you have installed already are perfectly smooth and then packing them with a good quality REEL grease. Shimano ACE-2 is good. BTW all the sealed bearings used by Shimano are pre greased. Greasing will definately improve feel but does slow the internals slightly. I have been trying to find a minature bearing packer to use for my servicing as it definatley induces that fluid "Rolls Royce" feel.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

My "frame" bearings (I've learned something today) are noisy on retrieve and I'm inclined to replace them while I've got the reel apart. Noise on the retrieve annoys the heck out of me. Perhaps I've got too much time on my hands John.

Thanks
Regards
Ronje
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Sorry Ronje,
I misunderstood. I wasn't for one second suggesting that you leave damaged bearings in your reel. Rather that high grade bearings aren't necessary. In fact due to the tolerances in some reels they may be a problem. Unless all the machining is perfectly square a high grade beating may bind if not perfectly seated. Manufacturers' take great pains to ensure spool tolerances are correct. Not so much everywhere else. I tried this on a Daiwa Alphas once and came away disappointed but that is not to say that your reel won't turn out great.
Cheers,
John.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great thread!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hadn't even thought about being offended John. Thanks for your well founded advice. I'll use new standard bearings for the frame.

Carbontec sheet arrived today from a bloke in Wahroonga NSW (Downrigger Shop).
Regards
Ronje
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

Let us know how you go with the upgrades/repairs Ron. Sounds like you have a bit to do.

Cheers