Goodbye Gough

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Goodbye Gough

Post by Matt Flynn »

As a kid I went to Labor rallies with my parents, the "It's Time" (for a change) slogan worked and Gough won. It didn't seem that long ago, but now he is dead at 98 ... http://www.news.com.au/national/former- ... 7096874685

Are the MPs of today different? They seemed to have a lot more character and conviction then, maybe it's just a false perception.

Labor and Libs today seem pretty much the same, albeit Libs have the "develop at all costs" mentality.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7096983190

shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Goodbye Gough

Post by shaggs »

This is the same bloke that abolished national service and the White Australia Policy and was instrumental in the native title act
Landmark decisions that started a lot of the rot in this country in my opinion
But opinions are like arseholes ,everyone has one
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

RIP Gough. Like him or not he changed this nation and in my view for the better. His legacy still lives in practical terms, weather it be medicare or equal opportunity education. We suck up to China to buy everything we dig out of the ground but it was Gough who was scorned upon when he opened ties with the peoples republic. His one fault was trying to do to much to quickly.

Today's politician does not have the conviction or moral compass to chase their vision for the nation. They are to poll driven and afraid of being unpopular. Keating was the last to defy this trend in my view.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

RIP to one of Australia's great people. Not many leave this life, having changed our country's direction for the betterment of our future.