Mandorah Night Time fishing Trip - Overnighter

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mandorah Night Time fishing Trip - Overnighter

Post by Fish Tank »

Fisherman-Rob wrote:
2 brothers fishing wrote:
image.jpg
Thanks so much for the picture 2 Brothers fishing 8) ... as they say "A picture is worth a thousand words ... " :) lol

Is that the chromie you were referrring to? So simple in design really .. but evidently effective :) lol

May I ask what is your technique with retrieval of the Lure thanks?

Also is that the same as a Chuck Chrome lure and Chrome Slices? others were referring to?

What else do you recommend to buy in regards to lures?
Happy to take any recommendations :)

thanks alot guys

Cheers
Robert :catch:

Sorry to butt in guys,

The Chrome lure in the picture is called a Gillies Baitfish. Gillies also make one called a Gillies Pillie also a good chromie. The "chuck chrome lures" referred to is the method, not a brand. i.e. Chuck the bastard out and wind like crazy. If you’re chasing Pelagics (queenies, macks and tuna etc) cast out as far as you can in the direction of the fish schools (if you can see them) and wind at top speed, the faster the better most of the time. 25gm or less is the best weight/size for chrome lures because it’s usually the same size as the bait they'll be feeding on. The old saying “match the hatch” comes into play here so if they're feeding on bigger/smaller bait then adjust your lure size accordingly. Chromies can also be jigged fast and slow vertically but can snag on rough bottom, if you let it sink all the way, because of the hook location. Some people use a wire trace when spinning for macks but you'll only catch a few ... maybe. Better to buy a cr.p load of chromies and loose a few and catch heaps more fish. I buy 20 at a time. You'll generally only catch pelagic fish during the daylight hours.

A couple of lures all northern fishermen should have in their tackle boxes are:
- Bomber - small, medium and large - gold, siliver, green and white colours
- Rapala Skitter pop - dark and natural colours
- Barra Classic 10+ - guns and roses colour
- Reidys Junior, regular and big B52 - gold, siliver, green and white colours
- Reidys little lucifers - gold, siliver, green and white colours
- Chrome Gillies baitfish and Gillies Pillie in 25gm
- Squdiges - drop bear & natural colours
- Gulps - various sizes, colours and jig head weights
- Zerek - shrimps, prawns and cheribin - natural colours

There are thousands of lures out there and once you get more into fishing you'll find out what else works and where. I would say that 80% of the fish I catch are caught on one of the lures listed above. Other blokes on here will list their favs too.

Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

Jprbeard wrote:Hi Rob,

I am new to fishing in Darwin also. I have only been to Mandorah once and did not do too well. But saw plenty of Queenfish swimming around, they just weren't feeding.

I use a Halco Twisty in silver here. I was using a 50g one at first but noticed a slight increase in action when I went down to the 30g size. I use them at East Point on the rocks for similar fish as to what you would get at Mandorah.
Hi jprbeard,
thanks for your response.

I will be doing a bit of a shop-up on lures and tackle this arvo, before the big trip cant wait.

Cheers
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

Fish Tank wrote:
Sorry to butt in guys,

The Chrome lure in the picture is called a Gillies Baitfish. Gillies also make one called a Gillies Pillie also a good chromie. The "chuck chrome lures" referred to is the method, not a brand. i.e. Chuck the bastard out and wind like crazy. If you’re chasing Pelagics (queenies, macks and tuna etc) cast out as far as you can in the direction of the fish schools (if you can see them) and wind at top speed, the faster the better most of the time. 25gm or less is the best weight/size for chrome lures because it’s usually the same size as the bait they'll be feeding on. The old saying “match the hatch” comes into play here so if they're feeding on bigger/smaller bait then adjust your lure size accordingly. Chromies can also be jigged fast and slow vertically but can snag on rough bottom, if you let it sink all the way, because of the hook location. Some people use a wire trace when spinning for macks but you'll only catch a few ... maybe. Better to buy a cr.p load of chromies and loose a few and catch heaps more fish. I buy 20 at a time. You'll generally only catch pelagic fish during the daylight hours.

There are thousands of lures out there and once you get more into fishing you'll find out what else works and where. I would say that 80% of the fish I catch are caught on one of the lures listed above. Other blokes on here will list their favs too.

Hi Fish Tank,

Thank you so much for the plethora of useful information :) lol

and thank you for the list of lures and their descriptions, I have taken a picture of them and will use this as my shopping list at BCF or similar store, dependent of funds available as well :)

Also you mentioned no wire trace, can I ask do you tie it directly to your monofilament line or do you use braid fishing line?

Thanks again.

Will be popping down to fishing store in a few hours to buy before the big overnighter trip to Mandorah :0 cant wait....should be good fun.

Cheers
Robert
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Fisherman-Rob wrote:
Fish Tank wrote:
Sorry to butt in guys,

Hi Fish Tank,

Thank you so much for the plethora of useful information :) lol

and thank you for the list of lures and their descriptions, I have taken a picture of them and will use this as my shopping list at BCF or similar store, dependent of funds available as well :)

Also you mentioned no wire trace, can I ask do you tie it directly to your monofilament line or do you use braid fishing line?

Thanks again.

Will be popping down to fishing store in a few hours to buy before the big overnighter trip to Mandorah :0 cant wait....should be good fun.

Cheers
Robert
The majority of people here fish with 30 pound braid and 60 pound mono or fluro leader. Everything tied directly, no clips or swivels.

Again if you buy the FFF book it will have all the knots in there that you will need too. Book is available at all tackle shops and newsagents.

Dan
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

dannett wrote: The majority of people here fish with 30 pound braid and 60 pound mono or fluro leader. Everything tied directly, no clips or swivels.

Again if you buy the FFF book it will have all the knots in there that you will need too. Book is available at all tackle shops and newsagents.

Dan
Hi Dan, thanks for your response as well. yeah i think that is the way to go 30lb Fins braid line and 60 pound mono leader line for tieing the hooks, sinkers, lure fishing, etc

Cheers
Robert
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help guys.

Just a courtesy update on the overnight fishing trip to mandorah.

Here is my fishing yarn... sad but true, there once was a girl that I once knew... (ohhh .. what! hang on..that's a song) scratch that! Just the yarn then :) hahaha

Well ... caught up with friends at cullen bay headed off at 6pm to catch ferry to mandorah peir. Ferry ride was only 15 mins, nice, quick enjoyable to get the sea breezes and darwin seascape disappearing slowly in the background.

Ended up meeting 15-20 friends there at the peir! Setup shop and started the arvo/evening fishing and chatting away, few drinks, :drinking1: we even brought along portable cooktop :chef1: and cooked up a feast on the pier as well, for all to enjoy :) with the smells, tastes and flavours, :chef2: we must of tantalised the taste buds of the other fisherman on the pier! lol

I ended up taking 3 rods, 1 older trusty rod, had the tip broken off (which i got fixed at the fishing store this week for $5 bucks...gonna Love that:) lol, and the reel decided bugger it..im not gonna work as well, and decided not to Oscillate (spool go up and down anymore :( Just spin on the same spot! You punk! (you only had 1 job to do... ONE JOB!! :P hahaha).
So that put a damper on events, especially since I just bought 50Lb Fins Braid to put on it at the pier as well. Luckily though, found out the issue...before put on and wasting the braid on the de-funk reel. 1 combo down ... 2 to go :) the odds were with me hehe

The other two setup was a light and medium setups. light was good for spinning and bait jigging. and medium for the live fish and bait as well.
Couple of the other guys scored some nice QueenFish. very nice size and great to see what was available there.
There was quite a lot of people out there on the Saturday night. although most left before the high tide at 2:50am!? Which I thought was a bit funny, but oh well, they did their yards.

Unfort the pub closes down and there isnt any toliet facilities out there! so you have to do it bush camping style as well. A man gonna do..whats he's gotta do haha

Everybody decide to either leave and/or all the overnighters crashed for the night at around 4:30am-5am~ onwards. Slackers.... I think I was the only one fishing still. Keen fisherman all right :) lol :fishing: and around 5am, there was bait fish coming through fast .. and absolute Huge Splashes near the Pier. i thought for a moment somebody jumped into the water (as somebody did actually jump in the water earlier in the night as well, few beers no doubt haha) but not this time .... it looked like a bl..dy BIG Groper!! :dolphin: I couldnt believe it! it was HUGE... It was this Big! (arm stretched out fully,then add a few more metres to it lol). My heart pounding with excitement about to scream out and I looked around and nobody was there..all asleep!! What! What a bunch of slackarses! haha. They were not going to believe me. again huge splashes coming within striking distance away! there was more then one too. and they were circling the top edge of the pier. Jumping with excitement (with the adrenaline kicking in) what do i do...what do i do ...I look over at my bag and the camera is sitting inside(saying take me)...then over to the broken rod and reel (arghh!) then looked over to the good fishing rod which happened to be closer, so quickly made a bee-line to that instead. Again the true fisherman coming through, even though I love photography as well.

Did the quickest pit-stop change of bait in history (check the guinness book of records on that lol :) and quickly dropped the rig in the line of the splashes.
Waited, waited... It seems like an eternity ticking away, as the sands of the hourglass disappear .. (but probably was only just 30 secs lol), Because im a fisherman and patience is a virtue :)
It didnt take long though...as my reel screamed out (help me) and the line went out fast. You Beauty! Nearly jumping up and down I grabbed the rod...the Drag was set to minimum, bugger! Tried to tighten it..yeah good luck with that. The line was running out fast .. like Hi Ho Silver...Away!! haha
Persisting I tighten the drag up and hit the rod hard, the rod tip bent down low, (nearly like a pretzel without salt?) (you gotta love my analogies haha).

Then started the fight of a lifetime .. ding ding Round 1 .. Fight! It had me going up and down the peir like a yo-yo from the 80's. :fishy: I said we are going left, he said we are going right..we ended up going right! you won that round, old foe! As I continued my epic battle of the century I wondered who was going to tire first... not me i tell ya! not me!
It was a struggle trying to maintain a even line flow back, as the tug-of-war was a bit one sided to say the least. round two to you sir.
As I was fighting the elements (even an itchy nose...why now! I mean seriously! haha) ... This was going to be a Tough battle indeed. have I...could I .. have met my match!? NO time for daydreaming as that would involve multi-tasking to the extreme! back to the subject at hand.

It was like an old man trying to send back soup at a soup kitchen... it was going to be tough. haha
Time had stood still .. as if the Gods themselves stop what they were doing, and peired(pardon the pun) down from the heavens watching this colossal battle of wits and strength unfold.
Line was taken out more then being retrieved, but I stood stand-fast! Like a pillar against the harshest storms ... My mission (If i choose to accept it) was do not yield, do not waver.
I did my best with the light-medium kit I had ... it was like trying to hold back a volkswagon trying to speed away from you.
The Old man of the sea was not smiling on me that day .. my friends ... as soon as I thought I was possibly making the slightest head-way in line retreival I heard the sound fisherman dread "Bink" (or similar "insert" your own sound here). NNNNOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOoooooooOOoooooooooOoooo Capital OMG!

It was a fantastic battle that lasted only moments in the fishes eyes... but will stay with me forever!
After managing to get all the battle worn braid back on the spool to the very end, to see my brand new (30 secs of salt water exposure) 80lb Wire Trace leader completely bitten through and daggling in mid air was a sight to see. and Nobody saw a thing!? arghh the tree falling in the woods scenerio...if nobody heard it fall...did it make a sound!?!? :?

On that conundrum of a bomb shell ... and in the honourable words of Arnie Schwarzenegger ... "I'LL BE BACK!!!!".

Imagine if i did catch that fish..imagaine the length of my story then!! :shock: LOL

Unfortunately even with heaps of bites and baits stripped completely, I didnt get a chance to chalk up a score at Mandorah and alass left emtpy handed of fish..But a belly full of good food, beer and heaps of good cheer to boot :) lol. Still had a Great time nonetheless.

Will I be back YES, same bat time , same bat channel. Will they have a toliet at Mandorah then, Probably not? Will l catch a fish ... Well my Friends ... Time can only answer that age old question. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma!

Cheers everybody and tight lines :fishing:

Robert :)
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

EPIC
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Great story!

Have a good day,
Pecheur
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Great yarn!
Did you even get on the ferry lol

very enjoyable
cheers Craig
Fisherman-Rob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fisherman-Rob »

cuddlescooper wrote:EPIC

Thanks Cuddlescooper :)

Pecheur wrote:Hi there,

Great story!

Have a good day,
Pecheur

Thanks Pecheur :) you have a Great day as well!

craig.g wrote:Great yarn!
Did you even get on the ferry lol

very enjoyable
cheers Craig
Thanks Craig :)
haha...yes I did get on the ferry and did enjoy a great night...but next time hopefully catch a few nice fish for the dinner plate as well :catch: lol

Cheers Guys l'm glad you enjoyed it and next time you guys head out give us a shout ... and might see you out there :fishing: as well.

Cheers
Robert :)