Its Been a while....

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Its Been a while....

Post by tubbs »

With the wife and kids away for a week or so I decided to take the tinny out yesterday arvo to see if I could find a Barra. :rofl:

To say its been a while would be an understatement, three years since I put a Barra in the boat so I didn't hold out any real hope, just thought it would be a nice way to spend a Sunday arvo in The Lizzy river system with a very low low.

I set off around lunch time with my cast net and decided to explore some new parts of the system that I hadn't been in before, at least that way I thought Id get to see something new!
First throw with the cast net resulted in a few small mullet, about a dozen whiting and a 37cm Barra! cheating I know but it was a Barra, and it was in the boat.

As the tide started to drop out the bait fish were being harassed up and down the creek, which ii thought was a good sign, but after a few hours and no fish, alas it looked like I was in for another doughnut. :? The tide crept back in and when I had enough water to exit the part of the creek I was in, I decided to tie on a trusty gold bomber and slowly make my way back to the ramp. as I departed I could see another boat enter the mouth of the creek using their electric to work the bank casting lures.

As I gently bumped my way over the rock bar that I had seen at low tide, my lure got a hit. it took a few seconds to register, but low and behold I had a fish attached to my line. To my utter disappointment, it was a small barracuda looking thing, but I was still smiling because there was a fish on the end of my line so there was no doughnut. I continued on and very quickly had another hit, quickly brought to the boat, I had finally done it, a Barra, small not even legal and it put up a fight like a wet bar of soap, but a Barra on a line and in my boat. I though about dancing a jig. 8) Instead I realised that dancing is not one of my strong points, so I quickly put my line back in the water to see if it was possible to catch another one, or was this just a fluke. You wouldn't believe, well at least I didn't at first, but it happened again! :clap: Another small undersized Barra, but a Barra non the less. I quickly returned him to the water and continued on. It seemed like forever, (maybe 4 minutes) till I again felt a tug, this time much better, and I had weight. still not an epic battle, but a fight of sorts ensued until I boated my last and best Barra for the day (and 3 years) of 58cm. Excited I was, Dinner I had! :applause:

I decided I wouldn't chance my luck any further and made my way back to the ramp quite happy with my days efforts. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Its Been a while....

Post by Matt Flynn »

Fishing is that much better when you haven't been able to go for a loooong while, nice report :mrgreen:
Bubba34
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bubba34 »

Nice big shoulders of him mate, good work
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done! It feels good to bring some dinner home :)
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

great report mate, and some good tucker :mrgreen:
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Best eating at that size.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

On ya, beats my barra efforts this year... (0)
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Well done, nice fish

Love fishing the Lizzie, plenty of fish that size to have fun with, always good chewing too.

Itch scratched, how long till the next one?
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Kadango
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Kadango »

That drought was almost longer than Dubbo's Tubbs - whens the next one brother? Hopefully this time I can join you rather than let you down
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
poss
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by poss »

Great yarn mate, well done.

Return to “Barramundi Reports”