The roughest pub?

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The roughest pub?

Post by Matt Flynn »

http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... 7074861610

I played in a band at The Cage for years and only saw two fights, one a sucker punch, they were in other parts of the pub, wasn't half as rough as people make out.

When I was in Brisbane there seemed to be a fight every night at closing time, and a lot more aggro.

Always thought everyone at The Cage was too stoned to fight ...

mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: The roughest pub?

Post by mippa »

used to be my old man's local and he said it was awesome. recons there was some good brawls but was just a good atmosphere. Its been my local since i was old enough to buy grog (16 :wink: ) and i've seen some eye opener stuff. help put a fire out on all the tables when someone threw a Molotov cocktail at them at close after being kicked out, all in brawls, 20 shot fireworks shot into the beer garden, black fellas run over, you name it, its happened (maybe me who did some of it. you'll never know) but it's definitely my favourite pub in Darwin. :drinking5: :drinking5: :drinking5: :drinking5:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I started working there in 1991 or so, maybe I missed the best years! Was when Lew the Lip, Vimme K, Poor Boys, Strip and Prawn nights etc were doing the rounds.

I was at The Vic when someone came up with a rifle, they were bailed up just time, not before he got a couple of shots off into the roof.

Worst I remember was the old Nightcliff Hotel, people would leave and stagger across Bagot Road and cause cars to roll over, happened a couple of times. Didn't see any brawls there either.

But yep, never saw a fight in the Cage, one was in the bar next door and the other outside.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

Yeah he said the old dolphin was a good one for people staggering out and getting cleaned up
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

mippa wrote:Yeah he said the old dolphin was a good one for people staggering out and getting cleaned up
Saw some good blues at the dolphin growing up locally. Fuking rough joint.

Darbys was the roughest night club in town. A few of my mate bounced there in the 90s and they be locked up for life nowadays for how they would treat trouble markers.

No such thing was a security license just hard blokes who won't take a backward step.
coastaljoy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by coastaljoy »

Ah the good old days, I was at the sunday sessions at Lims back in 90/91, 1 band played in the cage bar then swapped with band inside. Darbys was pretty rough. The saloon bar over the road was good when there was $2 drinks. The blue heeler bar was also great on fridays with $10.00 jugs of burbon and coke.Also remember the Vic was rough sometimes, watched the bouncers pour a bloke off the balcony one night, got to know a couple of the Kiwi bouncers there, they used to love the advantage of being at the top of the stairs when blokes were chucked out the door and tryed to come back up.
he fishes he fishes he fishes its the only thing in life all he ever gets is hell from his fed up wife
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

A mate managed Darbys for years and he had the glaciers on speed dial the amount of time the bouncers threw someone down the stairs and into the front doors. The back stairwell behind the bar was a great place to take the ladies for a private moment. Every club had CCTV but incriminating footage always seem to erase themselves. :D

My best mate late dad owned the fannies which became the saloon in the late 80s. He was the one who started $1 spirit between 11-12 and Darbys copied with 2 drink between 12-1. Most people get smashed on 20 bucks binge drinking and wanted to fight from 1am. We started hanging out every Saturday night when we were 15-16 to prev on the hot chicks My mate dad's this hard old Italian dude made sure no one drank anything in the club. We were all sh.t scared of him so we only drank softies. We thought we so cool.

Memories :D
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Used to live three doors down from Lims. All I had was a clock radio for company in my flat. Very difficult to stay away once the bands cranked up. I couldn't believe how few ''blues'' there were considering how much p..s was sunk, in fact can't remember any. I do remember that everyone seemed like a hard bastard, so it was best not to be a dickhead and start something.
Will never forget going to the Dolphin for the first time. The wildest storm in the background & kids in the boxing ring going 'blow for blow''.
Had to get my wedding party out of there (they'd arrived the night before) after they'd discovered there were strippers & prawns on the morning of my big day.
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

Rage in the cage were great Sunday arvo,[ still blame my poor hearing on those "good" times], BUT ROUGH, no way, nothing as good as the old "Headoffice" Dolphin. Worked at Casuarina High school [now secondary college]during 72/73. and bus dropped us of there most days. Both front and back bars were legendary. Does anyone remember name of Huge TI manager, his way of handling loud foul mouthed ladies from back bar would have got him into lots of trouble these days, He needed no bouncers.
Kai.

Return to “Barramundi Banter”