Salt water arm ramp

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
shelloz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Salt water arm ramp

Post by shelloz »

I want to give SWA a crack for the first time this weekend and wanted a heads up on how to get to the ramp, and the condition of it. I know you follow gunn point road, I was just wondering how far down until the turn off, and if it is sign posted.

Any other tips would also be appreciated. :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance,

Shelloz

Shelloz

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Mate got no advice, I have never fished there, but i do remember seeing the signs as I have travelled to Leaders. Seems easy enough, signs are pretty obvious.

What time/tide are you intending on fishing thee? i sort of want to have a crack at it too, but am not sure what tides are the go.
pisstenbroke
Silver Member
Silver Member

salt water arm

Post by pisstenbroke »

hey shell, the ramp is ok , just watch out for the rock bar about 500mts from the ramp. if the tide is high you should be alright .by the way last time i was there , there was a croc close to the ramp.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

its sign posted you do a right at leaders creek turn, then another right intoo saltwater arm road then it goes righ again. check it out on google earth.

the rockbar is only 20m from the ramp going towards the mouth and extends for 300 metres. you can get over it on a 1.5m tide if you have a shallow running boat, when comming back into the ramp stay on the left hand side of the creek as you go over the bar, then slowly more to the middle 50m or so from the end(you'll see the ramp at his point). sorry to steal your thunder pissedendbroke :mrgreen: :grin:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

Hey shelloz if you dont have much luck out round the Narrows and stuff when you get back to the ramp if there is a bit of water, Prob 3 meters plus check out the rock bars just past the ramp heading up stream, Good place to save the day.... Well worth a troll for a big Baz... They only go as far as the bend.......

Cheers Jamie
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
XXtreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by XXtreme »

SWA Boat Ramp is about 50Km from the Iron Bridge on the Howard River (Gunn Point Rd). The SWA Ramp is about 10Km off/from the Leaders Creek Rd. I went to the Vernons last set of neaps and the Gunn Point Rd had just been graded but a lot can happen to that road in a few days.

If you haven't been to SWA before take a good look at FFF Mag for all rockbars and gravel bars that are in SWA Ramp Arm tributary, the main SWA tributary, between SWA's & the mouth of the Adelaide and at the entrance to the Narrows.

Good Barra to be had in SWA and the Wilshires. I've landed my PB's from those waterways 97cm then 1M. Good Jewies, Snapper and Powetails to be had out there as well. Look for a tide that drops below the mangrove line in SWA and fish the feeder creek entrances and any submerged snags you find on your sounder. I've been fishing that area for 10 yrs and now is a good time.
shelloz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shelloz »

Thanks for all the info, hopefully I will get onto a few. :catch:
What time/tide are you intending on fishing thee? i sort of want to have a crack at it too, but am not sure what tides are the go.
cjgp, I am going to head out saturday and fish the low mid morning. The tides are just coming off the neaps so it should be ok for the narrows and sorrounding areas, however it is my first time, will see how it goes i guess.

Thanks all,

Shelloz :grin:
Shelloz

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Salt water arm ramp

Post by kingsley_z »

Anyone have an update on SWA? Looking for some practical info:
1) How long does it take to get out there? 2.5 hours about right?
2) How is the road at the moment?
3) What does it fish like on the bigger tides? Looking at low of about 1m, high of about 7m.

Any other general tips or trip reports.

Cheers
KZ
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

kingsley_z wrote:Anyone have an update on SWA? Looking for some practical info:
1) How long does it take to get out there? 2.5 hours about right?
2) How is the road at the moment?
3) What does it fish like on the bigger tides? Looking at low of about 1m, high of about 7m.

Any other general tips or trip reports.

Cheers
KZ
1) It's about 40 mins drive from the iron bridge taking it easy.
2) Cant comment myself but the father in law went to Gunn Point a couple of weeks ago and said the road was fine. A lot changes there in a week tho...
3) That place, and the Adelaide, is hit or miss. I like it on the bigger to the mid tides, but neaps would be the go if bottom bouncing. There's always crabs, but on that kind of tide, you'd want to be watching the pots.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Also add 2.5-3hrs for the run in tide from Darwin at the ramp
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Thanks gents!