Sea anchor

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Sea anchor

Post by Hemi »

Anyone need a sea-anchor...?

New condition, strong material, good for those windy days drifting?

Swap for a few beers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Sea anchor

Post by mickkk »

When would you and when would not use a sea anchor? I had mates use them all the time don south, but don't see many people with them up here. Don't really know the thory of when they are good and when not
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

For sure they are used down south more than here...

We use one during neaps around several spots in the harbour and charles point, we use it to drift slowly over the reef while bottom bashing. We also use it for drifting over flathead & whiting grounds..

Sea anchors are also used in several emergency situations. They stablise disabled boats, mounted off the bow theyll keep the boats nose into the wind / waves, preventing side on roll / capsize etc..

Kayakers use them alot for drift fishing apparently.

Large boats and high horse power boats use them during trolling

I guess theres other uses...?
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Generally halves your drift rate and if tied to right spot makes the boat drift sideways. Good for a few rods at once. Use one every trip now in hervey bay
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I never seen one used before until I went out with AM for a fish off Dundee. The sea anchor is a great tool for slowing down the drift and turns the boat side on so everyone can fish.

I will definitely grab it but don't think it was be big enough to hold my 6m plate.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Don't let the secret out It works a treat. We use it on our big boat at corrob it allows are lures that are real small 40mm to be used with great success. I think it works because the fish are sick of seeing the usual lures and like the change.
tight lines
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

I think the reason that they're not used as frequently here as opposed to southern states is that they're used to combat wind rather than tide. In my experience offshore of Darwin, most times I'm drifting too fast to fish is due to tide ripping along - these things are not overly effective at stopping tidal influence drift as they of course are thumping along with the tide also. Not to say they're not effective on neap tides when the wind's blowing it ar$e off ...
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

slug wrote:I think the reason that they're not used as frequently here as opposed to southern states is that they're used to combat wind rather than tide. In my experience offshore of Darwin, most times I'm drifting too fast to fish is due to tide ripping along - these things are not overly effective at stopping tidal influence drift as they of course are thumping along with the tide also. Not to say they're not effective on neap tides when the wind's blowing it ar$e off ...
agree with you there slug

I still have my old one from Perth hanging in the shed, bit eaten by bugs and vermin now
I tried to use it once way back when I first got here to slow the drift, the sea anchor went under the boat and towed me faster :rofl:

should be good on small tides, and when you have wind against tides, or its very windy, but havnt used one for over 20 years.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

So if you fish with a minn Kota is this something you wouldn't use??
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I deploy mine every single time I have drift fished in the last almost 5 years and will be keeping on with it for sure. It was counter productive twice only if you exclude the day I tried to steam of with the thing still out. Admittedly it is a big straight unit say 400 liters sewn up by the canopy guy not one of the off the shelf parachute designs. Never heard or thought of towing it to slow down a troll but it would definitely do it. I would say it pretty hard on the go juice in that application.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

AM wrote:I deploy mine every single time I have drift fished in the last almost 5 years and will be keeping on with it for sure. It was counter productive twice only if you exclude the day I tried to steam of with the thing still out. Admittedly it is a big straight unit say 400 liters sewn up by the canopy guy not one of the off the shelf parachute designs. Never heard or thought of towing it to slow down a troll but it would definitely do it. I would say it pretty hard on the go juice in that application.
Yep hate taking off and wondering why the motor is so slow haha
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Yeah Andy, might be a bit hard to get on the plane...lol

Maybe I should try one again, but it don't mind drifting fast when jigging, just change the weight of the jigs and cover more ground
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

They are good for the right application. There are times when the boat drifts with the wind and the tide is running the opposite way. Add the sea anchor and the boat will go more with the tide rather than the wind. This means the boat keeps up with the lines in the tide rather than the boat drifting away from them lifting sinkers off the bottom (opposing forces on the line).

Good on neaps in strong wind. The drogue slows the wind effect by creating more drag in the water.

As stated above, if conditions dont allow they are no good but if they do they assist in a big way.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

cuddlescooper wrote:They are good for the right application. There are times when the boat drifts with the wind and the tide is running the opposite way. Add the sea anchor and the boat will go more with the tide rather than the wind. This means the boat keeps up with the lines in the tide rather than the boat drifting away from them lifting sinkers off the bottom (opposing forces on the line).

Good on neaps in strong wind. The drogue slows the wind effect by creating more drag in the water.

As stated above, if conditions dont allow they are no good but if they do they assist in a big way.
Def no good when you put the hammer down to take of to a new spot :shock: