2014 goose season??

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

2014 goose season??

Post by Gibbsy »

Has anyone had a confirmation of dates for this year's season and bag limit? I know it's can't be far off just really eager haha

AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Re: 2014 goose season??

Post by AJay »

Well after hassling Bess prices office with at least a call a day for the last week I just had some bloke tell me they will be announcing the dates in the next 2-3 days. Took some frigging hassling but far out.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Yeah I've been that eager I've been calling parks only to get an answer of "it should be around the same time as last year" but that's good news thought they'd have to be setting dates this week
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Did Bess tell you that there will be a reduction in how many you can take this year?
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Nah but i've heard that from other sources, 5 is the rumour I've heard. I'll be sh..ty if its less than 7.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Looks like a brown colour then cause 5 is the mail
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Well if that turns out to be the case I think i will be changing my hassling style. I'll move to regular letters written directly to the minister asking for clarification on why the bag limit has been dropped and why the season wasnt started in early september.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Didn't the last few seasons start late in September? Strong suggestion that after two poor wet seasons, goose numbers are well below par.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

The explanation I was given for the late starts the last couple years was due to the big bursts of rain at the ends of the wet season in those years, which floods out the goose nests forcing them to nest again, thus delaying when the young from that year are able to be independent of their parents. That didnt happen this year and haven't had anyone suggest otherwise to me.

Also, the reason for the lower bird numbers last year was likely that the birds simply flew to where there is more food available due to the lack of rain up here, not due to lack of geese overall. If there was a distinct lack of geese last year that should have been picked up when they did the survey prior to last years season and the bag limit would have been adjusted prior to the season.

These are the main issues I will be writing to the minister about but there are a couple other gripes I have, some more in relation to the fact that in my opinion they simply couldn't care less about getting it all organised and announced because the minister in charge of signing off on the season represents the electorate of Stuart, which is well away from any of the goose shooting reserves. and the attitude I have picked up from parks and wildlife staff and the staff in bess price's office is that they arent particularly interested, even though the season attracts in the region of 2-3,000 permit holding shooters.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

I'm not expecting to have any great effect, but I've been advised that a written letter to a minister or their office generally has to be responded to. So, to make up for all the phone calls that werent returned and messages not passed on, I'm going to try and get some answers out of them. If i get really motivated I'll even make them paper letters rather than emails because emails are too convenient.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

How did you go with it ajay?
barrabustin
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barrabustin »

Called parks and wildlife today and was told that they it's not official announced but they have been told the 12th
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

permits are being issued today, got mine earlier
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Hey tubbs permit same price this year