2014 Boat Show

XXtreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2014 Boat Show

Post by XXtreme »

I haven't seen any advertising for the 2014 Boat Show, when Googled, I hit a page saying that it is not being held?
Can anyone advise me why it is not being held this year? :?

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: 2014 Boat Show

Post by Matt Flynn »

Well, they never once advertised it on here for starters :D

It is an expensive show for a small capital city to support, it would only take a small slump in confidence for dealers to pull out as it costs them a motza to participate.

Wasn't so long ago that boats sales in Darwin were booming. Could it be that business in Darwin was better before Inpex etc? Is money now being spent on big mortgages and rent etc instead of new boats and other toys?

Just guessing, could be any number of reasons that killed it, might be part of a national downturn affecting the big marine companies, rising costs, or all of the above.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Price of exhibition center may have had a bit to do with it i recall.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

I was told the boat show was being incorporated into the 4wd show that was held earlier in the year due to the high cost of holding it as a stand alone event. that being said by all accounts it wasn't a really good turnout in terms of boats at that show either.
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Sad to hear about the show. IT was something worth going to every year. On a side note -
IMPEX, what a joke, going to employ local labour ? Why the 5000 man camp and people still unemployed in Darwin. As for Darwin earning money from its business, Impex buys and brings everything in from interstate.
Sorry for those who work there but what about the hundreds that try to get a start there and can't.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Its Inpex by the way.... It pays to get their name right if you want them to employ you???

Just for sh.ts & giggles to start an arguement....
Pretty over hearing whingers go on about not getting a look in... Its a project, not a hand out! If you missed out its probably cos they took someone better....?

And..... The boat show was always cr.p!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I work with most of the big company out at Inpex through work. One of the reason they reduce there intake of locals so that so many locals have no practical experience but a whole bunch of tickets acquired from just sitting courses. All the guys with trades we're picked up ages ago so it's mainly labourers.

Everyone wants to chase the coin but the local don't want to put in the time or effort.

Im not from the construction industry so I'm not sure if what they are telling me is fact.But I know a lot of locals get put off from not turning up and too many sickies .

Some locals might be stuffing it up for others I'm guessing.

Seriously there is that many jobs going in Darwin outside side Inpex there should be near zero unemployment .

On a different note,
I love the boat show just for something to do fishing boating related. It's been very sad for the last 4-5 years.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Still off topic.... My employer (100% locally owned) did well out of the gas project, and still is. As for locals being unemployed, we cant find enough suitable staff to fill the vacancies we have. Spoke to a similar type company on friday night, they have the same issue.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Bring in the 457 visa workers then for your business, time to get my trade qualified bro inlaw out. He doesn't care much for the boat show, likes to eat fish though and is a gun welder
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Do it DH....! I have and we are reaping the rewards. Its all about looking after number 1 & family mate.
springs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by springs »

Comment from Tasmania!? The reason second hand boats are not selling is because cashed up young fellas prefer and are able to buy new. Darwin is over heated and going through the roof. If you are not here, you don't understand
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

I have already got two out under the Skilled Migration deal, one has been here for 8 years now works for GEC, sparky, electrical instrument technician, the other is a scientist. The gun welder needs only an extra .5 in ITLTS score. The sparky is a gun fisho and makes the best fish soup and numas.
XXtreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by XXtreme »

Hijacked - I was asking about the 2014 Boat Show not a debate on Impex/Inpex/457 Visas go find somewhere else to comment on the Ichthys Project.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Comment from Tasmania!? The reason second hand boats are not selling is because cashed up young fellas prefer and are able to buy new. Darwin is over heated and going through the roof. If you are not here, you don't understand
"Overheated" depends on who you talk to. There is an interesting dynamic going on in Darwin.

Maybe the dealers are selling so many new boats they can't be bothered having a boat show :catch:

As for the Tasmania thing, yeh, the drop dunny is out in the cold, no phones or internet to keep in touch, chickens in the house, awful ...

XXtreme, sorry about the post hijack ... but it is interesting that Inpex is booming, and there's no boat show ...
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Matt,
For me, i wont bother with Darwin boats shows because theres never anything new there or any good deals.

No dealers or products etc come up from down south , no new products are displayed that I cant see on any day at any local boat shop!
All you do is get charged to see the same everyday stuff at the show..

The other year, the biggest competion they had was guess how many ice coffee cartons are in the wheel barrow... For f...ks sake.

I inquired at one of the shows here about a new trailer & the dealer said to see him at his shop on monday because he didnt have his prices with him..... Whats the point?!!!!

No draw cards.... No show, pretty simple?!

As for secondhand boats... I disagree, boats are selling well. Ive had no problem moving six boats so far this year. As long as you have a good quailty product, theres plenty of cr.p out there which isnt selling.