prop opinions needed.

rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

prop opinions needed.

Post by rumluck »

I have a 6m goldstar with a 140 zook on the back. communication error from boat fitter meant I didnt get the max HP of 175... spewin. I'll upgrade one day.

I have a 19p alloy prop that does, fully loaded, 62 kph @ 6200 rpm 12.5% slip ratio from online calculators.

Cruising speed is about 45kph @ about 5000rpm gives me .5 to .6 L per km.

I want to go stainless and want a higher cruising speed for the same economy. dont care for top speed.

Most times I can airrate the prop before the boat porpoises at any speed. So that makes me think 4 blade. Boat is quite nose heavy.

The boat planes fairly quickly fully loaded and even faster if I jam my trim tabs down before takeoff.

I'd love another 10kph on my cruising speed but im thinking thats a bit much to ask from the 140.

I think my options are...

1. same pitch stainless 3 blade. Would get my slip ratios under 10% I'd think.
2. up a pitch (21p) stainless 3 blade. Might load the motor up a bit and wreck my economy
3. same pitch stainless 4 blade. For more trim.
4. Hydrofoil... but dont want to start rocking from chine to chine.

Whats your opinion?

Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: prop opinions needed.

Post by Once Bitten »

I've got an awesome 300SE.Sport hydrofoil and screwless attachment kit for sale if you need one. Great, as new condition. :D
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Get on solas website and put in the details of your boat, specs your getting etc and they will call you. I've found them extremely helpful and they will exchange props you have bought off them after you have tested them until you get the one that suits you.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

If you are maxing out at 6200rpms with your current prop you definitely don't want to go to a 21p then.
You could try a 4 blade but that will pull your RPM's down your fuel economy will probably suffer as-well - just like a 21p, unless you got an 18p four blade but then you will probably lose some top end.

Think you might find that to get a higher cruising speed (just like I did) that what you actually need is more HP :)
a stainless should give you a little bit more but it didn't give me any higher cruising speed in mine - it did increase the WOT speed

I get 74kph out of mine at 6200 w/22p stainless prop but a smaller boat (5.4m)
cruises at 48kph at 4300rpms.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Cheers fellas. Ive done the solas email thing twice now with no reply.

I've picked up a cheap SS 21p solas prop that I can try and in any case can use on the lightly loaded trips. It should give me a good idea of whats happening.

I agree with the HP remark, I was livid when I found out (upon delivery) that my tinny was rated to a 175. Was told 150 max but 140 recommended. :roll:

The reason I think the ss 21p might be ok is I can, most of the time over rev it. It sometimes takes a while and Im not sure how far it can go because I back off at 6250rpm.

Once bitten, your post reads really sarcastic. Just me?
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

ah ok well if you can rev it over 6200 then you might be ok with the 21p. see how you go!

I ended up going with a Stilletto advantage stainless for mine based on reviews in the states, be interesting to see the performance difference with the solas 21p, definitely report back how you.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Indeed I will report back.
The stillettos keep popping up in my searches. What sold you on them? I've heard good things about suzuki staIinless props too but with so many varying factors in hull, motor, prop, pitch, rake, cup, diameter, gear ratio etc etc. I guess id like to know im on the right track.
Cheers.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Strange about no reply from solas. They contacted me straight away and the dude was really helpful. He even quoted me a price under the listed price including delivery, then realised I was in NT, not ACT and wore most of the postage. Depends who you get on the day I suppose.
NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by NTFizzer »

re-power with a bigger donk - i can't see any prop resolving your issue
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Its not a huge issue, I just see some small room for improvement.

Whats a 2013 df140 with 60-100 hrs on it worth BTW?
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

rumluck wrote:Indeed I will report back.
The stillettos keep popping up in my searches. What sold you on them? I've heard good things about suzuki staIinless props too but with so many varying factors in hull, motor, prop, pitch, rake, cup, diameter, gear ratio etc etc. I guess id like to know im on the right track.
Cheers.
went with a stiletto as they have more rake than solas props apparently so slightly higher effective pitch which I needed as the 21p alloy was no where near enough pitch. I don't know that much about it really, just what I've read but it turned out to be a good choice. works very well.
stiletto only do even numbered pitch stainless props (ie, 20p, 22p) just like Suzuki genuine ones where as solas do odd numbered pitch stainless props (19p. 21p, etc), no idea why.

like I said though don't expect any dramatic improvements in your cruising speed though, I didn't really notice any difference at all cruising speed going from the 21p alloy to the 22p stainless - only WOT speed.