Is crossing fishing safe?

Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Is crossing fishing safe?

Post by Hemi »

Ask the... "40-year-old fisherman was decapitated by a crocodile at the spot"
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Is walking across the street safe. For some it is, for some it isn't, but we still do it!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

The things us fisho do for a fish....

That photo make that fisherman looks like he risking his life with that croc in the frame.
Most of us do something similar every set of neaps at shady in the run off.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

How does that photo make him look like he is risking his life? The croc is as obvious as dogs balls. He isn't in water, the water in front of the crossing is shallow and you will see the croc coming a mile off, and crocs are as docile as all heck on land and they don't even bother chasing prey while on land as they know they are waisting there energy (unless you put your leg into its mouth of course/ got too close). Get into the water or stand on a deep drop off its a different world.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

In saying that balou it could be made safer by taking all the crocs within a few Km's out of the equation! :naughty:
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I guess what I was trying to say is that photo of a fisherman and croc in same frame to most non fisho look like that he putting his life a risk. I agree the one you don't see are the ones that could potentially kill you.

If the news printed a photo of that bloke on the crossing with no croc in sight most people wont even batter an eyelid. I guess they just cashing in on the recent death.

Sure I support a cull of some sorts to reduce numbers. Knock out anything over 2.5m in all the popular waterways I reckon.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

The warning signs for us humans doesn't work so maybe the authorities could make crossings safer by erecting signs to tell the crocs they aren't allowed within 100m of the crossing. :twisted:

agree cuddles, everything has its risks but we manage them.
its all about perceived risk and that we have 'always done it this way' no problems
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Fisho's are hilarious...

Whenever something is built.. Fisho's pretty much think it was done for them..

Ive built wharves, jetty's, pontoons, walkways, locks, piplines, crossings...etc etc etc...
And everytime fishos appear from nowhere..

Doesnt matter if you construct barriers, gates, signs and even security guards.. Someone will fish it and they dont two f...ks that they shouldnt be there!

"If you built it, they'll fish it"

Our fishermen vs Crocodile situation isnt too different from NSW & their rock fishing dangers...
Everyone knows the risk of death.... But still continue to do it & still keep dying from it...
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Taken a couple of months ago when I was at the crossing, obviously quite common.

I had/have no idea how he expected to land a fish over those rocks, I mean that overhead doesn't look like a Tranx loaded with 100lb mono to me...?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Hemi wrote:Fisho's are hilarious...

Ive built wharves, jetty's, pontoons, walkways, locks, piplines, crossings...etc etc etc...

Doesnt matter if you construct barriers, gates, signs and even security guards.. Someone will fish it and they dont two f...ks that they shouldnt be there!

Our fishermen vs Crocodile situation isnt too different from NSW & their rock fishing dangers...
Everyone knows the risk of death.... But still continue to do it & still keep dying from it...
Perhaps you could get off ya arse and build a few new reefs for fisho's to fish then instead of taking all the water ways away from us then hey Hemi...!? :P :P
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

cuddlescooper wrote:
Hemi wrote:Fisho's are hilarious...

Perhaps you could get off ya arse and build a few new reefs for fisho's to fish then instead of taking all the water ways away from us then hey Hemi...!? :P :P

Says Mr Cooper, the man whos gainfully employed on the harbour involved in these big developments!. Haha!

Nah.... No money in reefs mate..!!!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Now now Hemo, let's not get all defensive. Its only Darwin harbour who cares, no fish in there any way :twisted:
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Boys, do you think that maybe this photo refers to the croc that's less than 2 meters away from that woman. She has no idea it's there
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

drifter wrote:Boys, do you think that maybe this photo refers to the croc that's less than 2 meters away from that woman. She has no idea it's there
I'm pretty sure its a rock.
----------------------------
-----------------------------