IPilot vs Motorguide

jnea6
Silver Member
Silver Member

IPilot vs Motorguide

Post by jnea6 »

I am leading to buying the Motorguide, only from what I have read on internet forums about them both.
If any one has tried both of them I would like to here your opion. Cheers

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: IPilot vs Motorguide

Post by jabsy »

What sways you to Motorguide? Just the cost? Or other factors?

I've been looking at both and am leaning towards MK, mainly due to the Humminbird connectivity which I also like.
jnea6
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jnea6 »

It holds within 5 ft in anchor mode compared to 15 ft for the Ipilot, as well as being able to track for a longer distance.
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sweaty »

I have a I-pilot and it seems to be really good, had the motherboard replaced because when it was serviced the bearing got installed incorrectly, resulting in it seizing up and shorting out the motherboard.. Not Minn Kotas fault easy but pricey fix and no issues since.. I do like the fact you can connect it to humminbird.

Personally never heard of motorguide sorry.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Minn kota gets my vote, well proven & good support.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sweaty »

jnea6 wrote:It holds within 5 ft in anchor mode compared to 15 ft for the Ipilot, as well as being able to track for a longer distance.
I would admit that is the only down point of a Minn Kota, it's not always 15 ft but they do say up to 5 mtrs.

Do you always get a maximum movement of 5 ft, even in good tidal movement?
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Any motor will move around.. I actually find my mates motorguide moves around more than my minn kota.

Basic wind & tide will move you around.
I quite like a little movement, especially when sitting above a wreck, its moves your bait around a little, covers the area...

I cant find on motorguides specs where they say 5ft...? Id be surprised that they would.... No motor/boat setup is going to hold within that tolerance?!
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Hemi wrote: I cant find on motorguides specs where they say 5ft...? Id be surprised that they would.... No motor/boat setup is going to hold within that tolerance?!
Agree.

No wind, waves, wake, tide, trees, dead-spots and interference = potentially 5 feet. Otherwise not possible. Happy to be proved wrong.

No experience with MG, but can highly recommend MK generally. They do shift around if you have a combination of the above, sometimes significantly more than 15 feet.
jnea6
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jnea6 »

I got the 5ft movement from an American forum, I have never had an electric before, but am defintly getting one within the next couple of weeks.
I have looked at proberly to many sites, I was convinced that the MG was better but I will now go with the the MK.
This is based on the known reliability that you MOB have said. Thanks
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Quality Marine are (were?) doing a 20% off Minn Kota for a week after their info night last week if you are looking at buying in Darwin.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I love my minnkota , I have the 55lb on the 455 mud boat . Just wish I had the spare coin to put one on the big boat. I find the spot lock works well in a most tidal situations , the only time it fail me the a 3m run at the Vernons .
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I think Smarty ( Agent 86) on here use to run a motor guide until it got knocked off
Maybe have a chat with him
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

if your main reason is the spot lock, check the specs on mk, the spot lock is a 5' radius = 10' dia circle. the MG is 15' dia, not much different

sorry but havent used a MG but i love my MK. Had the remote controller die and was replaced by IOM no probs.
Go and see Michael at IOM for a deal
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Had my MK for 2 years now and the I pilot is the way to go. Spot lock is magic and the auto tracking for trawling is gold! My missus calls it the marriage saver as she never has to throw the anchor out again! Never had any issues with the MK in my time. Never heard if the MG til this post. MK definitely worth the money...
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

My mates motorguide is the only one i know of in the NT... Must be others????
He had the X5 model (or something??) and then converted it to the 'pinpoint' by adding the gps model...

He just bought another boat and put the minn kota on it... He said he wouldnt have another motorguide..

In 12 months we'll probably all be saying motorguide is the only way to go??? But for today... Its minn kota..!!!!