Mercury 90hp optimax feedback

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Mercury 90hp optimax feedback

Post by mickkk »

I'm looking at purchasing a 2nd hand boat with a 90 merc optimax on the back. I'm looking for a bit of feedback, common faults to look for etc. Also what fuel computation are you getting?

Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mercury 90hp optimax feedback

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Fuel consumption depends upon the boat. The Optimax 90 is a good engine, fuel thrifty for a 2 banger. Mine got nearly 3km per litre in good conditions averaged 2.25- 2.5 km per litre normal running pushing a heavy boat. Common fault was for the thermostat to pick up sand now and again and get stuck, once you are aware of it easy to fix and doesn't happen often, mine did it because of the beach launch at Dundee. Contrary to belief oil consumption depends on how hard you drive the engine, they are not a true 50/1 mix, they compute what oil is needed, drive 2500-3500 rpm and they use bugger all.

Still an easy engine to service yourself, parts can be purchased on the internet. What boat is it pushing?
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Great feedback dundee Hombre
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

If it's that 6m quintrex on buy&sell I think it will be way underpowered
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Hey mickkk

I have a 90 Optimax on my 5 metre savage, goes great, plenty of torque
After a few years and 900 hours had no mechanical probs with it, still goes great

Cheers
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Spoke with the lads at quality marine about getting a pre purchase inspection which they said they would do. But they were really trying to talk me out of buying an optimax. They weren't pushing their zooks, but they really don't recommend etecs or the optimax.
They were saying I would have less problems with my 2 stroke mariner.

It's really got me 2nd guessing if I should go for it. Did a bit of troweling the net, herd of story's of snapped alternator bolts or something.
I sorta expect all motors to cost me a fortune, but I don't want it to break down on me, I don't want to always be worried about its reliability.

I'm stuffed if I know what to do now
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

hey Mickey, I wouldn't be put off by the optimax. ive always had Merc's, both 2 & 4 stroke and (touch wood) ive never had any serious problems with them
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

mickkk wrote:Spoke with the lads at quality marine about getting a pre purchase inspection which they said they would do. But they were really trying to talk me out of buying an optimax. They weren't pushing their zooks, but they really don't recommend etecs or the optimax.
They were saying I would have less problems with my 2 stroke mariner.

It's really got me 2nd guessing if I should go for it. Did a bit of troweling the net, herd of story's of snapped alternator bolts or something.
I sorta expect all motors to cost me a fortune, but I don't want it to break down on me, I don't want to always be worried about its reliability.

I'm stuffed if I know what to do now
Micky,

If QM gave you this feedback I would take it on board.

Their bread and butter would be servicing outboards regardless of the brand so it would not be in their interest to tell you bs. I guess they have fixed enough outboard to give some sound advice about optimax.

On the other hand if did decide to buy this optimax Im sure Quality will keep it running perfectly. They got my 4 stroke 90 merc working perfectly after 2 years of headache going to a merc dealership.

What size boat is it pushing?
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

509 stacer side console.
That's what's got me bothered tran, they were not bagging mercs, they just don't like the 2 strokes pretending to be a 4 stroke, etecs and optimaxs
I don't care about the bad resale (that's 1/2 the reason I'm interested in the boat, good price)
And I don't mind too much if thing cost a bit to fix things, but it's more a reliability issue. I would hate to be standard whilst out with the family.
But then there the experienced fishos that has them and never had an issue with them. My mariner 2 stroke, which every one bags up here has never let me down once.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

mickkk wrote:509 stacer side console.
That's what's got me bothered tran, they were not bagging mercs, they just don't like the 2 strokes pretending to be a 4 stroke, etecs and optimaxs
I don't care about the bad resale (that's 1/2 the reason I'm interested in the boat, good price)
And I don't mind too much if thing cost a bit to fix things, but it's more a reliability issue. I would hate to be standard whilst out with the family.
But then there the experienced fishos that has them and never had an issue with them. My mariner 2 stroke, which every one bags up here has never let me down once.
Perfect size boat for the territory mate.

Problem with 2nd motors is that you don't know if the previous owner has looked after it. With these direct injected 2 strokes it seems to be hit and miss on their reliability. Owners either love them or hate them . Most will tell you they love them but never get another one.

If it a good price I would be a bit weary unless you know the previous owners fairly well regardless of the brand.

Get it check out properly and take it for a super long run. Stick to the harbour and creeks until you 100% confident with the outboard before going offshore.

If its cheap enough you can invest in a sat phone .