Yamaha 60 hp prop question.

balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Yamaha 60 hp prop question.

Post by balou »

There's afew members with 60 hp yamaha 4 stroke so wondering what prop size you are running.

I have 455 topender with 60 hp yammie carbie model. Since buying the boat i have lifted the motor up 2 holes to the top hole . Im getting better performance and revving to 6000 at 48 km per hour wot using the standard 11 3/8 11g yammie prop. At 4000 rev she sits on 34 km which is really slow.

I want to get higher cruzing speed so wondering what to do in terms to prop size so I'm thinking 13 pitch.

Also is it worth getting a sport fin.

This my mud boat so probably sticking with an ally.

Cheers Balou

seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Yamaha 60 hp prop question.

Post by seano »

I get 53km/hr with the standard prop on a 4.5 bluefin warrior- it's a heavy boat. Yours seem a bit slow?
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Hey mate
Depends on alot of factors, the hull you have has a fair bit of drag for its size so you will never get blistering performance out of it. The Yammy alloy 11-3/8x11 in a used condition is good for a paper weight. Any one that knows me know's I fly the Solas flag, love them. You could put the same size on as the Yammy in a Solas and your boat will perform completely different.
1st question is, how easily dose your motor hit 6k rpm?
If it hits 6k easily then I would look at the solas Amita 3 in 11-3/8x12.
This would get you to the mid 50km/h mark. The 60hp yamaha is an iconic engine, just don't over prop it and it will serve you well over 3k hrs.
If you want to look at prop options then drop in and seem me.
Cheers mate.
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

George wrote:Hey mate
Depends on alot of factors, the hull you have has a fair bit of drag for its size so you will never get blistering performance out of it. The Yammy alloy 11-3/8x11 in a used condition is good for a paper weight. Any one that knows me know's I fly the Solas flag, love them. You could put the same size on as the Yammy in a Solas and your boat will perform completely different.
1st question is, how easily dose your motor hit 6k rpm?
If it hits 6k easily then I would look at the solas Amita 3 in 11-3/8x12.
This would get you to the mid 50km/h mark. The 60hp yamaha is an iconic engine, just don't over prop it and it will serve you well over 3k hrs.
If you want to look at prop options then drop in and seem me.
Cheers mate.
Hi George it get to 6k but I would not say it get there easily. The last 300-400 is fairly slow and laboured.
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sweaty »

Hi balou, I'm in the same boat I have a 2010 60hp 4 stroke yamaha, that is currently using the same prop as you mentioned being a 11 3/8 x 11g.

At WOT on the dead of the tide I seem to be able to hit 6100 revs with about 52km of speed, seems to get there without to many issues as long as I have it trimmed correctly.

I do have a hydrofoil but my seat is on the transom so alot of weight back on that end, boat is a 470 Top Ender just has the custom console. .

I have been told by a few people to up the pitch to a 12 but they also mentioned it will rev to about 6300 what I would prefer not to do.

Iv been thinking a stainless steel solas is the way to go but not real confident at throwing 500 bucks of a prop that may have minimal results. .

Good luck mate and I'll be watching this post
Wal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wal »

You could try a 12g but depends how much weight you put in the boat and if it's a bit sluggish getting up on the plane now a 12 will only make that worse.
I'm not huge fan of the fins and would only put one on if you have trouble with it porpoising, or ventilating when you turn because the motor is too high.
Sweaty sounds like you could go to the 12, it will take a couple hundred revs off at WOT not add them so you should be right.

Good luck
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Tran try this one
WOT,on glass out to lorna 067.JPG
or you can really get going with this
WOT,on glass out to lorna 059.JPG
:rofl: :surf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

I went through a lot of props trying to get this right with my old engine. I found the Solas 11.4 X 12" prop was the clear winner for me. (4.6m Quintrex.) Sold one to Muntzy when I upgraded the engine, and I think he was pretty happy with the prop also.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

jeffish wrote:Tran try this one
WOT,on glass out to lorna 067.JPG
or you can really get going with this
WOT,on glass out to lorna 059.JPG
:rofl: :surf:
poop yeah might get George to beef up the transom :lol:

My sister coming back for a visit from Yankee land in afew weeks. She already carting home a hydraulic steering kit so I added a Solas Amita 12pitch . Found them for 95 bucks online.

There's are 2 models in the Amita 3 . The normal one and the "c" model with thicker fins for heavy boats and better acceration. I went the normal one.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I thought I better throw up a post about new prop. My sister brought over a solas Amita 3 11 3/8 x12 from the states recently.

Even though I gone up one pitch size with the solas, the motor still managed to rev to 6000. I was fairly impress with how easier the boat now planes, a noticeable difference in torque of the mark.

Wot has increased from 48km to 53k
4000 cruising from 34 to 38km.

I reckon I might go one size up to 13 inch pitch in order to get better cruising speed.
Luke35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Luke35 »

I've got same pitched prop on an older 460 dory and get those speeds. I'll be keen to see the difference with a 13 if you go to that.
Always wanna go faster :cool:
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Hijack. 'Scuse me.

Whilst the prop people are in one spot..

I have a 6m goldstar with a 140 zook on the back. communication error from boat fitter meant I didnt get the max HP of 175... spewin. I'll upgrade one day.

I have a 19p alloy prop that does, fully loaded, 62 kph @ 6200 rpm 12.5% slip ratio from online calculators.

Cruising speed is about 45kph @ about 5000rpm gives me .5 to .6 L per km.

I want to go stainless and want a higher cruising speed for the same economy. dont care for top speed.

Most times I can airrate the prop before the boat porpoises at any speed. So that makes me think 4 blade. Boat is quite nose heavy.

The boat planes fairly quickly fully loaded and even faster if I jam my trim tabs down before takeoff.

I'd love another 10kph on my cruising speed but im thinking thats a bit much to ask from the 140.

I think my options are...

1. same pitch stainless 3 blade. Would get my slip ratios under 10% I'd think.
2. up a pitch stainless 3 blade. Might load the motor up a bit and wreck my economy
3. same pitch stainless 4 blade. For more trim.

Whats your opinion?