Dundee Tips August 23rd and 24th

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Tanman
Silver Member
Silver Member

Dundee Tips August 23rd and 24th

Post by Tanman »

howdy,
i have 2 mates from Melbourne coming up for a fishing trip in a couple weeks. We will be heading down to dundee to hire the 6m boat on the 23rd and 24th of August. was just wondering if anybody had any tips for fishing out that way? are the longtail tuna still around?

i have fished a reef off there once before back in May out near Long Lost i think (around 25km straight out from the ramp) and got amongst some trickies, small coral trout and mackies.

any tips would be much appreciated. Cheers

Matt

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dundee Tips August 23rd and 24th

Post by cuddlescooper »

I would say stick to the same plan mate. Go straight out to long lost and work your way down towards point blaze and blaze reef. use the sounder along the way and drop on any jagged reef or patch that has fish showing. Tuna are always near blaze reef but usually mac tuna but long tail may show up along the way. Small chromies like the gillies 30gram jigs are best and wind them faster then the wind.
Tanman
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tanman »

Cheers for the advice cuddlescooper.

With the winds up in the morning this sat and Sunday around 20knots SOuth easterly was thinking of exploring the Finniss or little Finniss in the AM and then head offshore in the arvo when the wind drops.

Was wondering with a low tide of of 2.8m at 11.15am, is it possible to get in out of the Finniss in the morning with a 6m boat?

Also any tips on fishing the Finniss would be much appreciated.

:catch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

If your game I suppose you could try the Finniss. I wouldnt want to be pushing that sized boat off the mudbank at the mouth of the river, for several obivious reasons. Getting in will be easy, its getting out on the dropping tide if you dont know the channel.

My advice would be the head north and fish Roach reefs where there is still some protection from the wind and head off shore in the afternoon as you first planned.
Tanman
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tanman »

cheers for the tips lads.

ended up hugging the coast down to point jenny and blaze reef and fishing the shallow reef around there until the wind dropped on sat. got a few spangled emperor and spotted mackeral. then when the wind dropped headed up towards long lost. found mack tuna busting up everywhere around blaze reef so had a bit of fun with them.
P1030608.JPG
the following day pushed out wider to around 20m deep and found some reef with some bigger spangled emperor and a coral trout. also managed to pick up a 94cm spanish mack on my light barra setup chucking out a buttefly jig. was good fun on the light gear. and got another spanish on a xrap-30 on the troll not long after. all up a great trip.
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

:mrgreen:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

8)