Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

Post by drifter »

Matt Flynn wrote: This is the ideal solution, but it's probably not enough to make a difference.
Are you talking numbers of crocs?
They estimate over 100k in NT waters. I don't know what is sustainable, but lest say 2%

Leave some rivers protected. Protects all sizes, gene pools etc.

Concentrate on those rivers with highest Human use.

Take 4 metre or bigger beasts?

Lets say you issue 4 licences (500 per licence). They charge $20k per trophy.
That's $10,000,000 per licence.
They will need accommodation, meals etc. Spending that sort of money, would probably do the full tourist thing.

As with my Barra Base example, the product of being shot at, gives them the fear of humans.

They older the croc the smarter it is. So knocking the large ones reduces the immediate threat,
while educating the smaller ones (the next generation of possible threats)

The treatment of crocs by the Professional outfits, would probably have a better outcome for the croc, as I suspect the hunters involved maybe a better shooter than your average National Parks & Wildlife ranger.

Everybody wins.

Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Freeze some croc jizz incase one day someone wants to clone one, then blow em' ALL away.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Hemi wrote:Freeze some croc jizz incase one day someone wants to clone one, then blow em' ALL away.
Come on hemi, that's abit harsh, giveaway few to the zoos.
It's an interesting one. All attracts apart from bill Scott's have been people taking risks that I would not personally take. But what happened to bill could have happened to most fishos.
Culling would not change anything to me, unless as hemi suggest that we wipe them totally out, which I don't think anyone would seriously suggest.
But. It would be interesting to have a bit science done on this. What would be the pros and cons would be.
I want to know what effect of rising croc population has on Barra stocks. Would a cull give me half a chance of catching a fish.

It is interesting how some animals fine to kill and others are not socially acceptable.

Big tuna, sharks, calves and fluffy baby lambs all fine, and yum. But whales, dolphins, turtles, horses, cat dogs are a bit no no (I'm most parts of the western world)

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't cull. But it should be investigated properly.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

It's not your 4m plus crocodiles that are the problem. It's the 3m to 4m crocs that the larger crocs can't kill and keep in check. They simply are not big enough to over power them.

This means there are more of them crowding in with all the time the average size of croc getting bigger. Hence more competition and therefore more aggression.

Tag limit culls in the 3m to 4m range will help preserve our iconic big crocs that we like to see and reduce pressure.

Dan
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Reduce the numbers of crocs considered to be of the size to endanger fishos, then cull the cr.p out of the nests. I'm no expert but I'd be pretty confident that if there's a major culling program then there will be a corresponding rise in the number of young crocs reaching adulthood (nature abhors a vacuum). Crocs need warmth for the young to incubate which would point to the nests being reasonably visible from the air, they already harvest eggs to incubate...pretty easy to just dispose of them instead
Croc souffle anyone?
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Hemi wrote:Freeze some croc jizz incase one day someone wants to clone one, then blow em' ALL away.
I vote you collect it!

BTW, have you got shares in Croc Cove?
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

No worries!! I'll collect it..
Love to do my part in the eradication of the snapping handbag!

And nah.. No shares in croc cove ..
That's a f...ked up place isn't it??
On one hand they are all Save, protect, hug a tree... Etc etc..
On the other hand, get in our shop and buy a belt, buy a skull.. Kill, kill,kill..

The territory is a top place! Aren't crocs lucky they are worth something!!
We wouldn't even have these arguments if they weren't!!! ;)
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

What ecological impact do crocs have? Would we miss them if they were reduced by, for arguments sake, 90%? Would something flourish in the absence?
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

rumluck wrote:What ecological impact do crocs have? Would we miss them if they were reduced by, for arguments sake, 90%? Would something flourish in the absence?

Yep! My fishing, camping, swimming and work would flourish!!!!
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

"I'd be all for a controlled cull, if the science backed it up, but all the experts say it won’t make a lick of difference to safety"
What a load of sh!t.

I'll tell you what will make a difference to safety, dead crocs. Dead crocs are extremely safe. Apart from dead crocs are scared crocs, crocs that think that you will shoot them if they come near you. Those are the crocs we used to have. They will still eat you if you swim up to them and try and pat them but they don't swim up to boats, they keep to themselves.

I'm not saying shoot them all, just all the big ones until the education process is complete.

There will be a cull soon and it is open season as far as I'm concerned "boom boom"!!! :hunting:
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

dirtyruiz wrote:
"I'd be all for a controlled cull, if the science backed it up, but all the experts say it won’t make a lick of difference to safety"
What a load of sh!t.

I'll tell you what will make a difference to safety, dead crocs. Dead crocs are extremely safe. Apart from dead crocs are scared crocs, crocs that think that you will shoot them if they come near you. Those are the crocs we used to have. They will still eat you if you swim up to them and try and pat them but they don't swim up to boats, they keep to themselves.

I'm not saying shoot them all, just all the big ones until the education process is complete.

There will be a cull soon and it is open season as far as I'm concerned "boom boom"!!! :hunting:
Croc expert here! Did you go to Uni mate and study crocs? You seem like a real edumicated bloke. I'd prefer to get my facts from blokes who did, like Tommy Nichols or Dr Graham Webb who both state that culling the big ones isn't the answer.

Also tough guy. Just a word of warning, the police could track you on this site via your IP address. So keep up the bravado and the threats of illegal activity and we'll see you in the clink.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Bwahhhhhhaaaaaaa!!! :rofl:

Nt police tracking someone down for that..!!
I needed a good laugh, thanks for that..!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

dirtyruiz wrote:
Dead crocs are extremely safe.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
true but experience has shown what happens when us dumb humans fark with nature.

I agree that they need to be trained, and we all know they can be trained.
I still reckon that killing the big ones will teach them nothing.
Id personally hate to see a mob of cowboys on 'hunting safaris' let loose among them. Ive worked on a hunting camp with a bunch of yanks and it was like a comedy. They had an extra guide loading the clips and let off over 500 rounds every day. madness

anyone entering the water to fish is going to get taken sooner or later so we aren't worried about them, Darwin's theory of evolution will take care of them.

There must be some other way (except for killing the big ones) that can deter them from stalking us in boats.
how about those shotgun charges that make a massive bang and shockwave?
the dead ones will never learn, but the ones that get an explosive charge going off next to them when they approach a boat will learn.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Every one here seems to think that a cull should be only of bigger crocs. I don't think that is the correct approach. It would have to be through out the size range and simply taking out a number in a system. There would need to be enough of all generation to keep the breeding cycle viable and the pecking order in check.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Need to talk to the rabbit people .... mixacrocomitosis :mrgreen: