Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Croc takes man retrieving snagged line

Post by barratrooper1 »

Think you nailed it fish tank.
Lucky for me I dont fish popular spots, I can just imagine a boat load of drunks with guns.....shite! A croc, shoot it! Ha, it was just a log....hang on theres another one!......self defence, you gotta be kidding, In all my time fishing, guideing, working on pearl farms I have never been worried enough about crocs to feel I needed a gun.

Im an ex soldier, and have spent plenty of time around guns and northern bush and crocs, oh yeah, also worked with crocs....some of you blokes sound like hysterical women.....croc! Kill it!

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I’m an open minded bloke but here we go again.
If someone (anyone) can come up with one iota of evidence to convince me that by taking the big crocs out of the system, our waters will be safe, I would welcome it and will change my mind.
Take out a 5m croc and the 4 m one will step up and take his place. Take out the 4m croc and a 3m one will step up. All the way down the line.
Even a 2m croc can kill you.
The only way to be sure that you wont get grabbed by a croc is to take out every single one from the system. That poop never works.
It’s not rocket science, STAY OUT OF THE WATER OR RISK GETTING EATEN!:bonk:
Really going into the water to get a $20 lure

Agreed that something has to be done. I don’t have the answers but the crocs need to be wary of us. If you kill a croc, it will never learn to become wary.

Welcome back Doug

Condolences to the blokes family and friend
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

----------------------------
-----------------------------
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

If nothing is done the deaths will continue. Is it an acceptable death rate?

Two-week open season on crocs in January.

Either that or it's a 52-week open season on people who make a mistake.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7028867032
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Matt Flynn wrote:If nothing is done the deaths will continue. Is it an acceptable death rate?

Two-week open season on crocs in January.

Either that or it's a 52-week open season on people who make a mistake.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7028867032
Firstly, condolences to the family and friends.

C'mon Dr Britton, a little risk is a $1 box mystery on the Melbourne Cup. This unfortunate bloke took an enormous risk that turned into a fatal mistake based on a very bad decision. Language like Little or small risk does nothing for the complacency angle.

I am yet to form a view on the cull debate, but what I try to live by is personal responsibility. In no way am I speaking ill of the dead, I didn't know the guy. Too many in this country have lost their way by not taking responsibility for their actions. So in the interim before the cull debate is won or lost think about personal responsibility, responsibility for your actions and the potential outcomes for yourself and your family.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

A different perspective I’ve thought about for a while – What’s it about fishing up this way that makes it different to down south? Isolated, climate and there’s any number of bities out there wishing you no good, from little to big. You enter the food chain not necessarily as the top link. How do you feel about that when you come a little close for comfort and get out on top, crack the sads or just that little bit elated as the adrenalin pumps?

Now some are saying shoot all the buggers. I wonder if that’s just a hyperbole or are they dinkum? We are a nanny species no doubt, not too much in the way of kill to eat or be killed and eaten for us. Not that I suggest we go back to the trees but there’s a big bit of what we used to do not too long ago missing.

I’ll take risks in some things I do, not big ones – or at least not too often. It keeps me sharp, keeps me planning for what will happen and probably won’t happen in case it does. I’m happy to have a threat like a croc around otherwise I may as well fish in a fish farm. Will I pay a price for that? Maybe but could I live happily in a world where there’s nothing to make me feel alive every now and again?

Have we got too many crocs? Not from where I’m standing but that’s the Kimberley, others may disagree. The NT situation could be different, a cull could be just the shot. Would I like to see them all gone? No b00dy way! Those that do, be they from the south or north are the latte suckers, no stomach no heart no backbone no balls and no brains.
Regards Dick
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

The fisherman has been named as Berry Springs local and Vietnamese farmer Tran Van Lanh, 57.
It turns out it wasnt even for a $20 lure but a baited hook

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern- ... 7029878834
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Dick wrote:A different perspective I’ve thought about for a while – What’s it about fishing up this way that makes it different to down south? Isolated, climate and there’s any number of bities out there wishing you no good, from little to big. You enter the food chain not necessarily as the top link. How do you feel about that when you come a little close for comfort and get out on top, crack the sads or just that little bit elated as the adrenalin pumps?

Now some are saying shoot all the buggers. I wonder if that’s just a hyperbole or are they dinkum? We are a nanny species no doubt, not too much in the way of kill to eat or be killed and eaten for us. Not that I suggest we go back to the trees but there’s a big bit of what we used to do not too long ago missing.

I’ll take risks in some things I do, not big ones – or at least not too often. It keeps me sharp, keeps me planning for what will happen and probably won’t happen in case it does. I’m happy to have a threat like a croc around otherwise I may as well fish in a fish farm. Will I pay a price for that? Maybe but could I live happily in a world where there’s nothing to make me feel alive every now and again?

Have we got too many crocs? Not from where I’m standing but that’s the Kimberley, others may disagree. The NT situation could be different, a cull could be just the shot. Would I like to see them all gone? No b00dy way! Those that do, be they from the south or north are the latte suckers, no stomach no heart no backbone no balls and no brains.
:clap: 8) :bow:
Bubba34
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bubba34 »

Barratrooper1 you are on the money. Condolences to the family. I have been on the water, up along Hotham, when a boat load of people decided to have a shot at a "pig" (so they said when we had a few choice words to say to them). We where just around a hairpin corner when they fired and missed, the round went over our heads. Now that is lucky

To take firearms on a boat to cull the croc, by the average joeblow, who thinks they are responsible and a great shot is asking for more accidents. How many times do you here about people doing the wrong thing on the water or just being stupid. It would soon turn into other wild life, because some of us, the minority, can not control themselves.

There have been four deaths this year in the Territory from crocs and you want to cull them. What about the deaths on the roads, the survivors of a drink driving accident who caused a death. Are we going to cull the drunks , they get a bed behind bars but we are not lining up to cull them? People need to be held responsible for there own action. We have become a society of whingers and try to blame everyone else for the things that have gone wrong.

The only answer is to set more traps, employ more rangers to target and relocate the 4m+ crocs. The fisho needs to report the large crocs for the rangers to catch. I am not a greenie but I do not think culling is not the answer. Nor is putting firearms on the water. DO NOT FISH ON THE BANK OF THE ADELAIDE RIVER. The big rogue crocs are looking for a territory, as it is coming into breeding season.
clunk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by clunk »

I am new to the NT, two years ago , but ill take my chances of being critic as a Southerner , It seems that no mention has been made of the fact that all those charter boats up and down the Adelaide River encourages Crocs to be comfortable around humans. relating humans to being fed. Not that they need that they inherently are as game as Ned Kelly anyway What will culling do if the teaching doesn't stop. Not against any of it .but the question has to be asked
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Bubba34 wrote:Barratrooper1 you are on the money. Condolences to the family. I have been on the water, up along Hotham, when a boat load of people decided to have a shot at a "pig" (so they said when we had a few choice words to say to them). We where just around a hairpin corner when they fired and missed, the round went over our heads. Now that is lucky

To take firearms on a boat to cull the croc, by the average joeblow, who thinks they are responsible and a great shot is asking for more accidents. How many times do you here about people doing the wrong thing on the water or just being stupid. It would soon turn into other wild life, because some of us, the minority, can not control themselves.

There have been four deaths this year in the Territory from crocs and you want to cull them. What about the deaths on the roads, the survivors of a drink driving accident who caused a death. Are we going to cull the drunks , they get a bed behind bars but we are not lining up to cull them? People need to be held responsible for there own action. We have become a society of whingers and try to blame everyone else for the things that have gone wrong.

The only answer is to set more traps, employ more rangers to target and relocate the 4m+ crocs. The fisho needs to report the large crocs for the rangers to catch. I am not a greenie but I do not think culling is not the answer. Nor is putting firearms on the water. DO NOT FISH ON THE BANK OF THE ADELAIDE RIVER. The big rogue crocs are looking for a territory, as it is coming into breeding season.
What do you think trapping and relocating a croc is gonna do.......?

Absolutly nothing. The croc will simply push the next smallest croc out in the relocated area and then that croc will move into an area uninhabited by another croc. The area that had the one removed will have another move in. Its the fact that the numbers are so high that keeps this cycle happening. It's pointless moving one on as there are 500 ready to take its place. There needs to be a large number of animals removed from each system to free up some space which in my opinion will stop them being as aggressive as they have been in recent times due to high competition for food and mating rights.

The act of shooting (Some shots will miss for sure) at them also puts fear into them and those animals will remember that humans should be avoided as they used to in the past. Sure we don't want to put them back as endangered species as they are an apex predator and a must have for enviro reasons but some science and maths on a sustainable cull and population would make things just a little safer for every person enjoying the out doors IMHO.

As for who should do the shooting that to me is also obvious. Trained people! You couldn't let it open slather to the public and I don't think any one in there right mind would ever suggest this! It would have to be carried out by people who
1. know how to shoot (Fire arms course ect and train to only take shots that are safe to do so ie not shoot through a bend in the river, only shoot into banks and not over open water use a caliber that hits hard but has a limited range ect
2. Trained in the habits of the animal (as recovering the carcass could be dangerous + being in there environement on a regular basis ect)
3. Trained in safety (OH&S in every work place) Im sure there are a 100 other factors that someone smarter then I could suggest.
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

Well said cuddlescooper

Bm
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Doesn't have to be trained people, it can easily be a revenue earner instead of costing tax dollars.

NT already has a waterfowl season, dry season pig hunting etc.

Elsewhere around the world they have open seasons on all sorts of animals, conducted safely and properly managed.

Have a two-week open season in January when there is no one visiting the NT anyway, and only a few fishing. Might drum up a bit of extra business in the NT when it is otherwise dead.

Can't see there being a stampede to buy the permits but you never know. Can always limit numbers and have protocols in place regarding where and when shooting takes place. Tags to be provided for all shot animals for disposal of skins etc.

You might find that some overseas people would pay top dollar for a permit. Sale by tender perhaps.

Not my idea of sport, but the whole exercise is to serve a purpose.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

To the Van Tran family my condolences.

When I used to go to the Barra Base in the 90's, we hardly saw a croc. When we enquired why, we were told they had been "educated". Their education obviously worked a treat. They were given a reason to fear man.

As for the cull, it's probably due. We cull a number of animals, so why not crocs. We cull when numbers are too high, or if they're impacting on us.

Well crocs fill both those bills.

But why not turn the cull into an ongoing industry.
Pass the cull onto Professional Hunting Guides. Issue a fixed number heads per company per year. This would certainly attract overseas money into the local economy.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Pass the cull onto Professional Hunting Guides. Issue a fixed number heads per company per year. This would certainly attract overseas money into the local economy.
This is the ideal solution, but it's probably not enough to make a difference.