Goose Weapon

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Goose Weapon

Post by Scottie5.3 »

I've hit geese in flight with a .22 but I've got a lot of shooting experience. I use a marlin .22, full synthetic stock, stainless barrel, trigger guard, bolt, etc. Only a cheap rifle but great for small stuff.
But in saying that listen to the guys on the forum about rules and regs, I know your only 16 mate but these guys have been around a lot longer then the pair of us and deserve some respect. There's a reason everyone is saying get a shotty, that's all I take when geese hunting now. The .22 was only ever used in that way as it was the first thing I got too, we were miles from anywhere and most importantly the bird was in flight.

If you don't want to spook cattle, use a compound bow.

Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

shaggs wrote:
nomad wrote:Obviously no one gives a rats that its a public forum. :banghead:
Must shoot birds in flight.
very hard to do with a 22 or any other rifle.
It looks that way ,I can't believe some people
Will they be the first to complain when it's banned? Probably not as most of the young ones attitude these days is here for a good time not a long time and they don't seem to care who or what they f@rk up in the process

I may or may not have done the wrong thing in the past :twisted: but im buggered if i would tell the world about it.
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

That is exactly right Nomad, an you know how smart they are? Thy would take a selfie of themselves doing it.....
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

Not trying to start an argument, but nowhere I can find it in legislation or the Parks and Wildlife regulations does it state that birds need to be shot on the wing? And it only states that shotguns or bows are to be used in the areas covered by the Permit; Shoal Bay etc.

I'll chuck a couple of the links up, If anyone can show me different no worries :mrgreen: , but as far as I know on private land it's a different story.
I have to agree though, just because you do something doesn't mean you should advertise it :banghead: . And I do believe in ethical hunting practices.

http://lrm.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_ ... -Sheet.pdf

http://lrm.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_ ... g-2013.pdf
Cozzy0011
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cozzy0011 »

Thats what i was made aware of by the rangers at harrisions last year. You also need to take into consideration the range of rifles etc. I dont hunt thue areas covered by permits
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

To shoot geese or ducks on a private property out of season you must have the correct shooting licence, known as a Pest Mitigation Permit. There's a waterfowl hunting season [permit] declared in the Northern Territory, but the permit you get for that is very different to the permit you get to reduce magpie geese on your mango crop. One is for shooting geese to eat, and there's a bag limit with certain conditions, like you must take the animal for food."

Farmers should apply for Pest Mitigation Permits if they want to shoot large numbers of magpie geese.

To get a permit, farmers must first prove they have tried other methods to tackle the problem, including netting and scaring devices.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-01/n ... ns/5641150

Parks and Wildlife Commission has the Pest Mitigation Permit available.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Any one know what the road conditions are like to get into Shoal Bay coastal reserve and Harrison Dam conservation reserve, and are these the only two areas where one can use a rifle to hunt pigs with a permit to hunt on crown land ?
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

mako wrote:Any one know what the road conditions are like to get into Shoal Bay coastal reserve and Harrison Dam conservation reserve, and are these the only two areas where one can use a rifle to hunt pigs with a permit to hunt on crown land ?
There's also land to hunt out Cox Peninsular Road
You get a permit from Lands Planning and Enviroment
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
12gauge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by 12gauge »

mako wrote:Any one know what the road conditions are like to get into Shoal Bay coastal reserve and Harrison Dam conservation reserve, and are these the only two areas where one can use a rifle to hunt pigs with a permit to hunt on crown land ?
Hi Mako,

Just be aware that Harrison Dam is shotgun only, as stated on your permit. It is a relatively small reserve.

Not sure what the roads are like at the moment, been stuck at the desk studying most of this year... :(

I'm hoping to get out to the land off Cox peninsula road in the next few weeks if I can find the time, but I haven't been out there since before the wet came last year.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Looking to purchase a firearm, seems you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a licence, gunsafe, permit, a firearm, and ammunition. Can't get a licence unless you have a safe installed and inspected or provide photo evidence of the intallation, can't get a licence unless you provide a permit as a valid reason for owning a firearm, can't get a permit unless you have a shooters licence number. Instead of hunting pigs, would be happy to get a .22 long rifle and have some fun plinking without putting anyone in danger... :(
Territory_Tuff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Territory_Tuff »

Mate, honestly i wouldnt bother hunting crown land! Especially if you dont have dogs!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

troamaru wrote:Not trying to start an argument, but nowhere I can find it in legislation or the Parks and Wildlife regulations does it state that birds need to be shot on the wing? And it only states that shotguns or bows are to be used in the areas covered by the Permit; Shoal Bay etc.

I'll chuck a couple of the links up, If anyone can show me different no worries :mrgreen: , but as far as I know on private land it's a different story.
I have to agree though, just because you do something doesn't mean you should advertise it :banghead: . And I do believe in ethical hunting practices.

http://lrm.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_ ... -Sheet.pdf

http://lrm.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_ ... g-2013.pdf
Hi mate, Its a long time ago and things may have changed but it definately used to be the case that birds had to be in flight when shot. I know this as my old man got done by the rangers with a goose or two too many a few years ago. He walked over the top of a cliff face that over looked a water hole at howard reserve and found the biggest flock of birds you could ever dream of crammed into a small space. He opened fire with the under and over while the birds were on the ground. To cut the story short he dropped 21 birds with 2 shots. He doesnt like letting stuff go to waist and took a few too many over our bag as to not leave dead birds every where (still left one or two). On the way out the rangers pulled us over and he got done for exceeding a bag limit. He told the story and the ranger said that the birds had to be in flight when shot so he got done for that as well. Didnt pay to tell the truth or not be waist full on this occasion. :|

But yes I havent been able to find the law written any where either, but haven't looked that hard.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I forgot before so I just followed it up.
Not covered by a law as such but is under their ethical guidelines. http://lrm.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_ ... g-2013.pdf

"Avoid firing at birds on water. This risks injury to other shooters and ricochet."