My Daughters first fish

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

My Daughters first fish

Post by buzzdog »

G'day all,
Went out for a quick fish today with a mate of mine from Brisbane ‘Damien’, my son 'Kahel' and my daughter 'Dakota'. It's been a while since the kids had been out on the boat and this was their first time really having a go at fishing. They were both pretty excited, I wasn't too sure how the day would turn out and if they'd even stay keen or lose focus fast.
We launched from the Dinah Beach ramp mid morning; the tide was meant to fairly big today and was hoping the kids would land a fish. We first zoomed over to East Arm and fished Bleesers Creek first; both Kahel and Dakota loved the trip over.
Not a great deal seemed to be happening at the start, well nothing apart from lone eagle ray cruising the shallows in hope for a crustacean meal of sorts. The wind picked up at that point and without the aid of a Minn Kota, our drift become frustrating. That said the kids were having a blast just wetting a line.
After half an hour without much luck we decided to pull up and move up Reinhardt creek. We moved through the mouth and past one of the first feeder creeks, as we past this creek we saw a small school of bait fish getting chased. We pulled up short, motored back around into the mouth of this feeder creek. We tried drifting but with the winds the way they were, it was almost impossible to drift, cast out before you knew it you were almost up on the exposed mud bank. We reversed out and had no choice but to drop anchor and try out luck.
Both Kahel and Dakota were on and off with their fishing; one moment they were keen as and then the next they just wanted to sit down and play with leaves in the boat; the positive part about this was each seemed to be alternating their keenness for fishing. It had rolled around to Dakota’s fishing turn and with her lure cast out she began retrieving her pink Z-Man in. She listened to us (which seemed to be a first) and kept the retrieval slow. Her lure was about half way in when she turned to us and said 'Daddy, I'm stuck', I replied 'how are you stuck Dakota?' She kept winding and as she did I could see headshaking tugs reflected in the tip of her rod. I said to her 'Dakota, I think you've got a fish' and sure enough, as she line came in closer it began to move across and against the movement of the water, before long a long slender brown object neared the surface. As it broke the surface I said to Dakota 'Dakota, you've got a Flathead and not a bad one either', she squealed 'YAY!!! I lifted the fish aboard and with a combination of excitement and utter fear of the fish touching her, she squealed even louder. With the Flathead de-hooked I measured the little guy up and he came in at 35cm; my little girls first fish and not only was it a good fish, she caught it all by herself, I was so proud of her.
I asked her if she'd like to keep it as it was her first fish and it was a good one to eat, she said 'yes'. So with that, I prepped the fish and popped him in the esky.
We kept casting a for another hour or so, the only other fish we landed was a 60cm Barramundi, this little guy hit pretty hard and ran fast. Damien was so busy taking photos of the fight I ended up fighting and landing the fish myself. Although a 60cm fish doesn't sound like much, this one was an absolute handful and great fun to boot.
After the erratic little Barra episode, the fish seemed to go off the chew at this creek and with that we pulled up and made a move further up the creek. We arrived at a junction of sorts and began fishing. Kahel had his lure out and almost a carbon copy of Dakota's Flathead catch, Kahel reported that he too was stuck. I asked him to give it a tug and as he did his rod started to dance a little. As the line neared the boat and rather nice sized Flathead was ziging and zaging across the surface, although as he pulled it towards the boat, it shook its head and spat the hook. I turned to Kahel expecting to see a face of disappointment but rather I was presented with a look and attitude of 'it's ok, we'll get him next time' I was a little taken back at first but super proud of him that he'd taken the loss of his first fish so well.
Nothing else eventuated for the rest of the day and much like all the other times I've fish East Arm, there were a ton of bait fish everywhere. Small shoals of bait fish appeared to be getting destroyed by something, but as muphy's law would have it, it was just out of reach.
So, a day out on the water with the kids was a great day and turned out to be even better with some fish to take home. I asked both Kahel and Dakota if they’d like to do this again, they both replied ‘YES!’ Poor old Damien unfortunately didn’t land a fish, however if you ask him it was a 100% success rate as he hardly catches fish at the best of time....next time Damien...next time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: My Daughters first fish

Post by Agent86 »

Good write up, great to hear the kids had fun

A couple of nice ones there for dinner, well done
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Always great to see little ones catching fish. Nice dry season harbour barra too.
My best days on the water are with my little girls.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good on you both for fishing together. 8)
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

You've got to always make time for your kids. Them catching fish and the look on their faces is priceless. We'll done to both of you. :applause:
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great to see your daughter catch a fish :mrgreen:

Good jump shot too!
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Tough to beat fresh flatty fillets - good on Dakota!
zulu
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zulu »

awsome work she would of been stoked i got my daughter hooked on fishing by chacing milk fish its visual and the kids love whatching all the diff fish eating the bread
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

Both kids seemed to enjoy it much more than I had first anticipated, because they both enjoyed it I've got the green light to take them again. Next time I'm hope to get them both onto a Barra.
buzzdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by buzzdog »

zulu wrote:awsome work she would of been stoked i got my daughter hooked on fishing by chacing milk fish its visual and the kids love whatching all the diff fish eating the bread
How'd your daughter go tussling with a milk fish zulu?