A nice brassy and first encounter with a stonker tuna

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
yakfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

A nice brassy and first encounter with a stonker tuna

Post by yakfish »

I went out to Lee pt early on Thursday morning. The sky was just starting to light up and I had the place all to myself. Conditions were serenely calm; it was stunning compared to what it had been of late. I had been absolutely struggling on the last few outings, so I was hoping for a change in my luck along with the weather. I tried something different and trolled a big deep 7m halco diver around 1 click out along the edge of the reef, because nothing else has worked for me lately. In 10 minutes it was doing aerial acrobatics in the mouth of a decent queeny who promptly spat it back at me. I spun around and trolled back over the same spot, picking up a piece of weed. No sooner had I removed the weed and cast back out did the rod buckle over and the sleigh ride begin. According to my GPS, after a 400m tow (some of that sideways) a solid brassy was flopping on deck. A fair few boaties started showing up so with a good feed on ice, I was happy to bail and escape the risk of getting rammed; also to avoid the occasional smart arse trying to wind me up about the big tigers out there. I started to make my way back to shore until the travelling circus of birds and their slick drop tank shaped counterparts convinced me to hang around. The pods were small and would surface for all of about 10 seconds; no chance of getting a slice in the mix unless they happened to turn up within casting distance. I got one chance and that was all, around 10m from the boat. My slice skimmed along the surface and the first slashing strike came hard and fast, missing the hooks, the second just metres away; my heart raced and time slowed down as I stared down the tunas cavernous beak: agape with menacing intent to kill: a one way ticket straight to oblivion for anything small enough to fit…. anything except my lure. Close, but no cigar. It was my first close encounter with these beasts and if their bite’s as nasty as their bark, then my drag will be cooking hot when I manage to hook one :chef1:
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
024.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blackjew
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: A nice brassy and first encounter with a stonker tuna

Post by blackjew »

Dam yakfish that's an awesome effort and Im glad that you were able to keep that Trev heading out to sea,you would have got whiplash if he decided to double back to shore.Great story thanks for sharing.
Now you got to try for a jewy and see if he will give you a tour of the harbour lol
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Nice work mate
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

great piccy of the GT :mrgreen:
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Great stuff yakfish, nice fish.
It certainly is a fantastic spot to be out in the yak first thing in the morning.
barrabustin
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barrabustin »

I hope you get a tuna, I just wanna see if it drags you out to the sth gutter haha
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I hope you dont hook the tuna on the rod tip as it will barrel roll you on the hook up. awsome mental picture going on inmy head as it hits and runs straight under the boat and keeps going. lol You will love it.
yakfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yakfish »

cuddlescooper wrote:I hope you dont hook the tuna on the rod tip as it will barrel roll you on the hook up. awsome mental picture going on inmy head as it hits and runs straight under the boat and keeps going. lol You will love it.
I've had a big brassy take off on a blistering run from left side of the yak to the other in 2m of water. Almost snapped the rod until I buried it down deep and worked it back round the other side. The yak's pretty stable though, it's the surf landings where I'm likely to be rolled if it's big enough :surf:
barrabustin wrote:I hope you get a tuna, I just wanna see if it drags you out to the sth gutter haha

I'll need to catch another out there to take me home
yakfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yakfish »

blackjew wrote:Dam yakfish that's an awesome effort and Im glad that you were able to keep that Trev heading out to sea,you would have got whiplash if he decided to double back to shore.Great story thanks for sharing.
Now you got to try for a jewy and see if he will give you a tour of the harbour lol
I struggle getting away from chasing these brutes, I love it. I haven't even really bothered trying for barra yet. One day I'll look for a new challenge
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

Great fish, great pics and great post!
Well done!
:applause: :clap:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Nice Brassy, and good story

Tuna will get you eventually..lol
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Great write up mate , love reading about your yak adventures 8)
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

jeffish wrote:Great write up mate , love reading about your yak adventures 8)

times 2
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind