.22 Long Rifle

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

.22 Long Rifle

Post by mako »

Hey guys, i'm on the market for a new .22 long rifle to use for targets, not limited to any budget, but don't want to pay more than is necessary for a quality gun. The local shop is only interested in selling what they have in stock which is very limited and its hard to know what to buy without trying it out first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Barratuesday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: .22 Long Rifle

Post by Barratuesday »

G'day Mako, Have a look at the CZ range mate. They have target/varmint weight models that shoot excellent. You should be able to pick one up for under a grand too.

Alternatively, if you don't mind spending a bit more, look at the sako P94 or sako quad.

Lithgow have released or about to release their new 22 as well. I have heard good reports and it's made in Australia.

If your budget is a little lower, the Brno model 2 is a classic and a renowned performer. It's an older rifle but a very good performer.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just shout.

Cheers

BT
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Many thanks Barratuesday, the CZ range stands out, if you could have any of these, http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/80-rimfire-rifles-cz.aspx which one would you choose ?
Barratuesday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Barratuesday »

No probs Mako. What to choose is completely dependant on what you want to use it for. If it's purely a target gun, I'd be looking at the 455 Varmint, ultra match or super match. Me personally, I would choose the varmint as I like the clean lines due to the lack of open sights. But, again, it depends if the target discipline you shoot requires open sights.

I'm a fan of timber over synthetic, again, personal choice.

Hope this helps

BT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Barratuesday, you have been a great help, would definitely mount a scope on it, the varmint would look awesome without the open sights, thanks again. :)
madmortimer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by madmortimer »

I have owned a Brno Model 2. Extremely accurate for a .22. Classic looks. Design is over 50 years old now though.
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Try a Norinco, you can pick them up new for under $300 with a scope, direct rip off of a Brno No 2, shoots pretty well.
Everyone I know who has had a Brno No 2, self included, has been dirty on themselves if they sold it.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Thanks madmortimer and GoodLookinPete for your contributions.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Anyone had a .22 slide action? Looking at getting one in the New Year for pest control, seen mixed reviews on the few models available.
Barratuesday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Barratuesday »

Like the PWS T3 range, Matt?

They are based on the ruger 10/22 action (basically).

I have a couple of mates with them, they like the action but hate the trigger. You can get a whole lot of go fast bits that are designed for use on the 10/22, they fit straight on. Including the high capacity mags.

BT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

I've got the CZ 455 .17 HMR/.22 switch barrel. Once I tried the .17 I didn't want to go back. It's just toooo good. Bought a Savage MK11 synthetic/stainless so I could have both. The .22 still does have some advantages, cheaper to feed and quiet.
Matt, I can come around and give you a hand sorting out those pests. You can try the CZ & Savage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice rifles - that PWS range are some mean looking weapons.

Haven't got a new rifle yet, but have ordered a box of tin ammo for shooting around the vegie patch, can't get tin in subsonic unfortunately.
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

Couple of years ago bought my son the savage mk11 synthetic stock heavy barrel for shooting at the ssaa range. The club guns are the same except in the timber laminate stock. Though your looking for a better quality gun a couple of the same things I found probably apply. The synthetic stock is lighter and more slippery and can throw a shot if your not holding it tight enough. The synthetic forearm can also flex on the rest where as the timber is pretty rigid. I've found the guns accuracy to be excellent, even though it's in the cheaper end of the market. He has shot a few 100.x at 50m and keeps up with much older shooters with much more expensive guns. Not bad for a 8 yo at the time. I think the scope, wind and ammo have a bigger influence. My advice is timber stock, spend on a good scope and match the ammo to your particular gun.
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

Matt Flynn wrote:Nice rifles - that PWS range are some mean looking weapons.

Haven't got a new rifle yet, but have ordered a box of tin ammo for shooting around the vegie patch, can't get tin in subsonic unfortunately.
You don't need tin ammo Matt, just don't miss!