Versatile handline set up for a long term trip

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
MarcelError
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Versatile handline set up for a long term trip

Post by MarcelError »

I got into fishing here in Australia and got literally hooked. But I will leave the country by mid of September I suppose. I will keep on travelling for a couple of further months through (mainly Latin)America. I mostly do bait fishing here and played a bit around with lures. With pretty much no success. Anyhow, I decided not to leave the country without at least two small handlines in my backpack and a bit of gear. The rods have to stay here I fear, as there is nearly no space left in my backpack.

I don’t know yet exactly where I am going to have the possibility to do some fishing. Might be the beach, a river, jetty, bridge or a boat. But I want to have at least little gear handy.

So the main question is, what would you take with you on a trip if you can’t take your rods and tackle box? Is it worth to take more than a couple of hooks, leads, and swivels?
In some countries and areas might be no tackle shop around and bait could be hard to find. So I was wondering if there are any lures that could be used or be useful with a handline?

Cheers,
Marcel

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Versatile handline set up for a long term trip

Post by Matt Flynn »

I've seen traditional owners (Aboriginal people) use lures with handlines. No problem if you don't mind spinning a handful of treble hooks around and around to cast!

A good set of gloves are needed with a handline, especially so if using braid.

I think that with sufficient skills you would be surprised what can be done with a handline. It's all I used for bottom fishing in the NT for a good while, despite growing up using rods.

There's nothing like direct contact with a 15kg jewfish on a 50kg handline :-)

Would make a good comp, handlines only.
MarcelError
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MarcelError »

I've seen an indogenious bloke catching a well sized travelly in Broome at the boatramp on low tide in the evening. That was the moment where i decided to give it a try.
I already played a bit around with my handline and used them instead of a rod to catch me some bait. But not much more.

Someone tried handlines in combination with lures? Any recommendations or tips? I found mainly some infos about handlines and trolling on sailing boats. But what about landbased?

Usual cut resistand gloves should do the job i guess:
Got some left from my last job.

A big one on a handline sounds like a nice challange.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Hi Marcel, maybe take 1 handline spooled with 30lb braid. That will be strong enough to land any fish, yet fine enough to use for live bait fishing. You could probably get 300 mtrs or more on it. That's handy as you probably, won't need to re-spool while your away. As the braid is thin, you will be able to cast it a mile.
Instead of gloves, go to the bicycle shop & get a busted inner tube. Cut into 2" lengths for your fingers. No matter where you go you always find bikes. Those gloves might mark you as a bit of a target. Especially if your touring thru poorer countries.
MarcelError
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MarcelError »

The idea with the inner tube sounds good. I'll keep that in mind. But i guess, taking lures with me doesn't make too much sense.
I probably have to try and see.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

You guys are mad even contemplating using braid on a hand line. Hook a decent fish and if it peels line through your hands it can whip a loop around your fingers and rip you to threads. I have seen some numpty do it free spooling a bait on a rod when a mac hit and it cut him to the bone and then peeled the skin back. He was very lucky the line broke.

I would take a 60lb mono hand line and a spool of leader. You could put lengths of varied poundage (heavier and lighter) on the same spool so you can cover most basis. A pack of Zmans rubbers (toughest ones going so they are reusable) and a couple of larger hard bodies. Some larger hooks (6/0 eagle claws are pretty strong and versitile) and some smaller to catch bait ect. I wouldnt bother with carrying lead around (up to you but a lot of weight in a back pack) as you could improvise with a steel nut or any other thing you can find on location.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

You guys are mad even contemplating using braid on a hand line.
Only bloke I know who uses braid on a handline is Stumpy, and it took him a while to get the technique right ...
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Matt Flynn wrote:
You guys are mad even contemplating using braid on a hand line.
Only bloke I know who uses braid on a handline is Stumpy, and it took him a while to get the technique right ...
Your a funny guy Matt.

Stumpy.... :lol: Took a while to get the technique right. :roll:
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi Marcel,

Or should I say Bonjour?

Anyway, I would not put braid on a hand line either, to dangerous.
Also, it may seem funny/strange or what ever you want to call it, but be sure that you are allowed to fish with a hand line where you go.
By example there is plenty of place in Europe, where you are not allowed to fish with a handling in fresh water.

60lb mono is what I had on my hand lines when I arrived in Darwin, and that is what I caught my first Barra with, on a frozen mullet...
I still remember it...
nearly 18 years ago...
:roll:

Anyway, what Cuddlescooper said seems pretty good advice to me.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

I reckon 60lb is overkill. You're not fishing the Territory. 30lb would be plenty,

Small hooks and sinkers. Bait is everywhere, any restaurant will have a bit of meat, fish or prawn you could buy.

Use your eyes ears and voice. Ask a local.

Best of luck,
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
MarcelError
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MarcelError »

Perdon. Je parle malheureusement pas français. My parents just liked french names i guess. Even my second name is french. :)

It'll be foremost Amerika where i'll travel around next. Bit of North, but mostly South and Middle America. I didn't new that about Europe. I know about the scandinavian countrys that you don't need permits or licences for a bit of fishing. Unlike in germany, where you have to do a licence and take about 30 theoretical lessons and do a test in the end. Do you know any examples, where you are not allowed to fish with a handline?
But to avoid troubles, i definitely check out the regulations first. Some officials in some countries are good in inventing new rules, laws and fees if you don't know it yourself.

I'll probably take what i have here. Means i'll use the 30lb mono i have left on one handline and lighter one on the other. Braided line apears to be a bit risky for me too.
Then some basic terminal tackle and gloves/old tubes. But i'm still not sure about the lures, as i only had a bit of a play around and not much idea about it. Doesn't make sense to carry stuff without idea how to use it.
Let me know if someone would take me for a flick to show me some hints. ;)

Cheers,
Marcel
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

I'd forget a handline and get a travel rod, there's some pretty good rigs available now purpose built for stashing away in a back pack...I can't see one taking up more room than a decent sized hand line set up
An extra spool or two of different strength lines and bobs your uncle
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I think cheap maybe what comes out of this all Jim. As in low cost portable fishing gear. A 3 piece rod and 3000 size reel wouldnt be a bad idea though. Can flick lures with ease and run 30 pound braid. Some good fishing to be had in south America and lots of big fish that will definatly test that gear out.
MarcelError
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MarcelError »

I thought about that too. And i would love to take some more than small handlines. But it's right. The focus is more on cheap and small. You don't want to pull out "expensive" gear at some spots. Some countries might be a bit more dodgy. It might be gone as soon as you turn around.
And if there are some keen kids around, you can just share a couple of hooks and some line and they are happy.
MarcelError
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MarcelError »

I read the other day about adding a bubble float to the hand line rig with lure, to improve the cast distance. Those which can be filled with water. Slightly filled and just enough to float on the surface could work. I probably take one or two with me. Together with the 3 piece travel rod and a reel I picked up last week at fishing and outdoor world. I just couldn’t help myself. But the hand line will tag along as well. Just in case... you know. I’ll take less clothes instead or something there like. :P

So the new rod changes a bit the requirements. I can see it coming. I’ll end up taking a few more lures I think. What are your favourites? Which would you take and why?

I’ve got a few days (Wednesday next week) left to think about it.