Fog, Fish & Feathers

drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fog, Fish & Feathers

Post by drifter »

Weeks ago the call was made to do some concerted fishing for a few days leading up to Jason’s departure back to the Darwin to see his GF. Days from Thursday to Monday kept open. :fishing:

Got love auto-correct. I get a text Wed arvo saying he his Making Little Calves (I thought they only did that in NZ and with sheep?) and he wouldn’t get here till Friday late. :?

1st question Friday night was “did you find any love with those cows?” :lol:
WTF are you talking about says Jose. I showed him his text. I was MARKING little calves. :bricks:

You know that old saying…fcuk a goat once… :lol: :lol:

On the water at 6.15 to Pea-soup fog. You couldn’t see channel markers till you were almost on top of them (no GPS) and there were a few obstacles to avoid on the way.

Headed straight out the front to Little Box Head . The plan was to fish the last 1.5 hours of the run-out, then chase the tide back up the top.
Got there and it looks soooo fishy. The sand bar has some great drop-off’s & eddies.

3rd or 4th cast and Jason’s rod buckles over & lines screams off for 20 meters then drops the lure. 10 casts or so and we have our 1st flattie in the live well.

Lost another 3 or 4 fish, then I stay connected to one, as well as catching a few Taylor (and losing a few tails).

Chased the tide back for a while with a few missed fish at all spots.

Got back to the sandbar opposite Woy Woy Ramp. Drifting along flicking rubbers in the shallows, boat in idle when it cuts out. WTF..IT NEVER DOES THAT! (30 merc2strk). Pull, pull, pull. Nothing. :bricks:

Flooded maybe. Disconnect fuel hose. Pull, pull, pull. :bricks:

Tag Team – swap over. Jase Pull, pull, pull. Nothing :bricks:

Time to make the call. MARINE RESCUE CENTRAL COAST over…..
20 mins later we are under tow back to the ramp. Bl##dy good service.

Electrical storm on the way. We get the boat on the trailer just as it hits.

Back home, Jase pulls off the carby sump and we have water in the bowl. Quick flush out and all is well – I hope.

Part 2 tomorrow………………………………………..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fog, Fish & Feathers

Post by nomad »

Just one goat...

Yeah the Central Coast rescue people are very good. Imagine if we had it up here. :banghead:
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

On the water by 6.45am. Motor starts OK. All good – maybe.

Same plan as yesterday. No luck – not so much as a touch
Decided to go up to the oyster leases.
Picked up 3 quick fish (biggest 51cm).

Motor is still wanting to stall on idle.

Back home & Jase adjusted the carby & mixture level to run smoother.

Geoff has recommended running 1ltr of metho to 25ltr of petrol to clear out any excess moisture. It might run a bit rough, but fix the problem?

I will let you know tomorrow how we went
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Decided not to do the metho thing, as it would take 4 or 5 trips for me to use the 30ltrs of petrol I had just put in. So I called the guy that services my boat. He came around to check it out. 1st question he asked was "where did you fill up?"

The servo down the road. He said that's your problem.

He has had so much work in this area for "water in fuel probs"

He told me he had serviced a mates boat and took the boat for a test drive the next morning. They put in 90ltrs of petrol. They got 10mtrs from the ramp, and motor failed. Back onto the trailer and back to the workshop. Drained the tank to find 50 ltrs of water. The servo claimed no responsibility.

$70 later the carby has been stripped & cleaned with carby cleaner, lines pumped with compressed air, tanks emptied & dried.

Lets see how it goes next time out
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Holy cr.p over half water thats insane.
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Back on the water. Took Jason & his girlfriend Melita out for a flick this morn.

Knew it was going to be a bit tough as the high tide was 7.30 with wind due late morn (flattie time is really the last 2 hours to low). But what the hell.............

On the water 7.15. And the wind was already beginning.

Headed out the front (Little Box Head). The tide was higher than I would like, but you deal with the cards you're dealt.

Cast 100 casts at first sand bar for no result.

Moved to next sand bank.

Melita hooked a fish first cast & lost it 1/2 way to the boat. Next cast I hooked a fish and also lost it 1/2 way back.

Back in again & Melita is onto a fish that makes into the net.

Jason was on next, then the wind set in and it just made it too difficult to fish.

Tried a number of spots for no results.

Off the water by 12pm

Not a bad result for 5 hours fishing considering the conditions.

AND THE BOAT WENT LIKE A DREAM
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

nice fish, looks like everyone's happy - I hear BC has been catching a few good barra lately
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

check out his latest vid from yesterday. I think they say "Killing the pig"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=69 ... =2&theater
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

where's the BC of old? The poo stirring big fella? The glory days of FFF when BC, Dodgyone and others ruled.